Author Topic: Pedals  (Read 1848 times)

Offline Yarbles

• Platinum Member
Pedals
« on: July 20, 2009, 05:58:23 AM »
I ve just got my  pedals delivered and I want them obviously to be like a real plane.

My (next)  ambition is to fly a real Tiger Moth for my next birthday and I am hoping the pedals will be at least a bit more realistic than the twisty stick.

So what should happen when you push the right leg forward to the rudder and which direction should that point you in??
DFC/GFC/OAP

"Don't get into arguments with idiots, they drag you down to their level and then win from experience"
"He who can laugh at himself has mastered himself"

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
Re: Pedals
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2009, 06:04:30 AM »
Right leg in, should kick right rudder, which should "yaw" your plane to the right.

Offline Yarbles

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2009, 07:15:37 AM »
Right leg in, should kick right rudder, which should "yaw" your plane to the right.

So just to be 100% clear push your right foot forward and the nose points more to the right?
DFC/GFC/OAP

"Don't get into arguments with idiots, they drag you down to their level and then win from experience"

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2009, 08:18:39 AM »
For anyone who wants to fly a tigermoth, ghosth's explanation should be 100% clear already. ;)

But to avoid being a total jerk, yes, push your right foot forward and the nose should point more to the right.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2009, 08:22:43 AM »
Another good way to remember is to "step into your turn".  You want to turn right, step on the right pedal - turn left, step on the left pedal.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline Yarbles

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2009, 08:26:03 AM »
For anyone who wants to fly a tigermoth, ghosth's explanation should be 100% clear already. ;)

So if I could find a 3 seater I am guessing you wont be coming to  :D
DFC/GFC/OAP

Offline Bubbajj

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2009, 06:20:54 PM »
The biggest problem I had when I got my pedals was keeping it straight too. I tried to steer with my feet like it was a steering wheel. It took a bit to get over that. I'm still learning the pedals. It was a tough transition from the twisty.

Offline Belial

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2009, 08:34:12 PM »
How easy is it to get excited and blow your foot through them pedals?

Offline BillyD

• Silver Member
      • Das Army of Muppets
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2009, 08:39:39 PM »
I heard it was good to twist the stick ( flame ) but disable the feature of rudder from the twisty stick ( huh huh) and rudder away the same direction.... with each twist you make to your stick ( flame ) thus triggering the reaction of pedllin and creating a connection from your twist of your stick to the push of your foot.

when you get good at it  you don't have to twist anymore....however I don't have the authority to tell you what to do. you can still twist your stick for fun....if it's legal in your neck of the woods.

:aok

good luck brother yarbles
« Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 10:21:03 PM by BillyD »
*ARMY OF MUPPETS
*K$
*Hot Soup Mafia
*@#$@#  YO COUCH CREW

Offline mensa180

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2009, 11:22:58 PM »
I went from using the keyboard rudder commands to ch pedals, it was quite the transition but you get used to it fast.
inactive
80th FS "Headhunters"
Public Relations Officer

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2009, 11:32:40 PM »
I went from using the keyboard rudder commands to ch pedals, it was quite the transition but you get used to it fast.

How do you keep the peg leg from slipping when you push forward on the pedal?  Rubber stopper?

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline A8TOOL

• Silver Member
      • http://fdrs.org/banking_history.html
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2009, 07:29:05 AM »

Thats odd,.... I always figured it was opposite. I've had my peds set up so that if i push forward on the right ped (CH USB PEDS) I yaw left. Just seems more natural to me.  My neighbors green machine worked that way too and so did an arcade helicopter game I played as a kid.

When I first got my peds I just could not get used to right makes me go right so i inverted them and everything was fine.

My toe brake is set left to apply all brakes....was never much of a tanker but if I was I'd have those inverted too. Step right turn left.

For those who don't know what a looks like

Now this I had... It was indestructible. Had holes in all the wheels, the handle bars were bent to sht and the belly dragged across the ground by the time I had finished with it. Tried killing it with stolen m80's but it was the gas that did her in :rofl   There was black sooty smoke everywhere..a neighbor called the FD :uhoh and my mother chased me down the block with a strap in her hand. :furious

I was the cool kid on the block till that happened. All I heard after that was... "here comes your mom or I think I hear your mom coming" jokes

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2009, 10:18:32 AM »
Switching from a twisty stick to pedals was easy for me...  But, I imagine that is true for most of us who have real life pilot experience.  Before I had the pedals, using the twisty stick always seemed very very wrong and I never really got the hang of it.

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2009, 03:38:04 PM »
So if I could find a 3 seater I am guessing you wont be coming to  :D

:rofl

Yarbles on another note...

Don't forget to use those rudders to help you roll faster when needed. Rudder into your roll.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2009, 03:44:46 PM »
How easy is it to get excited and blow your foot through them pedals?

I have jumped the track on my Saitek ones so many times that I only have 1 screw in each corner so I can get it fixed quickly.  Sucks when it happens in FSO.
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.