Author Topic: Guess I'm expendable!  (Read 3243 times)

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
Re: Guess I'm expendable!
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2009, 12:57:59 AM »
Your 1 gig video card makes all the difference in the world when it comes to this update. So while you might have a low spec machine you have a very high spec video card..

Actually 1Gb video cards perform WORSE in general than thier 512 mb counteparts.  I have rarely if ever seen a 1Gb card with equal or faster memory bandwidth (the amount of data which can be transferred into and out of video card memory over a specific length of time... typically expressed in Gb/sec.) than the same card with 512 mb of memory.  In addition to this the 512 cards typically also have faster GPU clock speeds.

Furthermore, a 32 bit operating system will only recognize between 3.25 and 3.75 Gb of system RAM in total which includes the video card memory.  Unless you only have 2 Gb of RAM installed a 1 Gb video card is simply stealing 512 mb of allocable RAM from the rest of the system.  Finally, even if you were running a 64 bit operating system no 32 bit application is allowed by Windows to utilize more than 2 Gb of RAM.  Therefore running a 1Gb video card leaves you wilth 1Gb of system RAM available to the game.  In a game such as AH which is more CPU/system dependent than GPU dependent this can cause a serious degredation in performance.

1 Gb video cards are a marketing ploy for the uninformed.

Just thought I'd set the record striaght.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2009, 12:58:04 AM »
"I'm actually surprised how many people patted them on the back in the beta forums while in game I heard nothing but complaints."

Many people did not download and test the beta on their systems, their first time was seeing it today.

I am not surprised, myself.......

only about 1/5th of the registered players ingame, also are a registered member of the Aces high Messageboards/Forum...
anyways, thats what has been posted in the past...and if that is the case then 80% of the players online was not even aware there was an Open Beta to check out since June 25th of 2009.......

If people would look at the aces high HomePage every once and a while and read up on the News updates, then they might of known it was coming........

Is why I always thought that when new players sign up and create a gameid, they also should have to register their username on the BBS.......at least then they know of it, that it exist and then it would be noones fault but their own for not keeping up with News about the game we all love to play........

YMMV

hope everyone figures out a way to keep enjoying the game.......good luck.....
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline TEShaw

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2009, 01:02:25 AM »
See Rule #4
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 03:51:34 PM by Skuzzy »

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2009, 01:05:58 AM »
 :rofl at the sniveling.

Bald, you beat to it.   Excellent post!
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline kilo2

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2009, 01:07:50 AM »
See Rule #4
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 03:51:47 PM by Skuzzy »
X.O. Kommando Nowotny
FlyKommando.com

"Never abandon the possibility of attack."

Offline PK1Mw

• Nickel Member
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2009, 01:08:37 AM »
I am not surprised, myself.......

only about 1/5th of the registered players ingame, also are a registered member of the Aces high Messageboards/Forum...
anyways, thats what has been posted in the past...and if that is the case then 80% of the players online was not even aware there was an Open Beta to check out since June 25th of 2009.......

If people would look at the aces high HomePage every once and a while and read up on the News updates, then they might of known it was coming........

Is why I always thought that when new players sign up and create a gameid, they also should have to register their username on the BBS.......at least then they know of it, that it exist and then it would be noones fault but their own for not keeping up with News about the game we all love to play........

YMMV

hope everyone figures out a way to keep enjoying the game.......good luck.....

Wasn't there a MOTD letting everyone know there was a beta available?

Offline TEShaw

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2009, 01:16:05 AM »
See Rule #4
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 03:52:06 PM by Skuzzy »

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2009, 01:18:20 AM »
Enjoy your new life in the Third World.

Also, enjoy NASCAR.

And you can enjoy your ban when Skuzzy reads your ignorant teenage garbled thoughts.

Offline TEShaw

• Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2009, 01:24:17 AM »
I doubt it.

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2009, 01:33:51 AM »
Wow I've seen some pretty lame replies in these forums.  Reminds me of what killed ww2online (if I may echo this ONCE again).

The ONLY reason why I played this game was because of how fluid it felt.  The graphics and some of the physics felt kinda dated, but everything was seemingly geared to performance.

If that is gone then I have no reason to be here.  Alas, I do not have this problem as I upgraded recently and usually keep a higher end system under the desk, (or two...sometimes three) but thats my biz so I'm expected to have the finer cuts of meat in my cooler right?

But I can tell you, that nothing is more frustrating to go from 100% playable perfect etc to unplayable without so much as an explanation as to why this is necessary.

IMO the graphics do NOT appear to be an upgrade.  I'm hoping they are prepping for somethign bigger in the future and something in the background is what is causing the big drop for many folks.  But honestly, can you say the graphics look that much better?  I can't.  If anything I see a downgrade. 

I looks like a picture of terrain plastered over a wireframe, with some very sparse trees that look like they were sprayed with shellac for effect.  Doing it wrong comes to mind.  Yes I am very critical of this patch even though I'm not being adversely affected by it.  If HTC is offended then they need to get into another biz but somehow I believe they are listening and trying to figure out what to do about it.  I expect an answer from them eventually, and hopefully a resolution.

I'm actually surprised how many people patted them on the back in the beta forums while in game I heard nothing but complaints. 

People need to speak their minds about the dissatisfaction with products/services being rendered.  If they don't the people providing these services will never know how to make you happy and draw in your $$.

For me, it's a no brainer.  I keep playing.  But if I start stuttering just as I'm about to jump someone, I'll be more than a bit po'd.

So lets keep it light for those folks having issues with the game.  Too many people are quick to judge when it doesn't affect them.  Imagine you just had your favorite pastime (for many) ripped out of your hands in one day!? 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MMSQvSXftE

spec:

System Manufacturer: MSI
System Model: MS-7350
BIOS: default
Processor: Intel Core 2 CPU 6600 @2.40GHz (2 cpus)
Memory: 2048MB RAM
Page file: 446MB used 3493MB available
DirectX: 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS
Approx. total memory: 320.0MB

max detail sliders and everything checked except shadows. This video is halved in frame rate and quality just going through fraps/vegas/youtube. Still, this is why you need to upgrade to get the most out of AH2. You dont need a two thousand dollar system either.
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline A8TOOL

• Silver Member
      • http://fdrs.org/banking_history.html
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2009, 01:35:29 AM »
Actually 1Gb video cards perform WORSE in general than thier 512 mb counteparts. 

Good Blah

Blah 

Blah stuff inbetween

In a game such as AH which is more CPU/system dependent than GPU dependent this can cause a serious degredation in performance.

1 Gb video cards are a marketing ploy for the uninformed.

Just thought I'd set the record striaght.

I know who I'll be contacting to help me w a new upgrade when it's time.

But we know not to let sudz order raw beef and that squirles w cameras are for our protection.

Seems they have something already in place to direct people to info but use it in a slightly foolish and lazy way.

Fifteen dollars could feed rice to a family of four, for a month.

If that's a problem, he could use the fifteen dollars on a taxi to the employment office (where he'd find nothing); too bad he didn't graduate high school, go to college, get a master's degree, and be retired, here laughing at the poor, poor, imbeciles.

Never been a big fan of arrogance, ...just a poor, poor excuse for human beings they can be
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 01:38:11 AM by A8TOOL »

Offline kilo2

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2009, 01:38:17 AM »
Enjoy your new life in the Third World.

Also, enjoy NASCAR.

I assume your educated and retired. That makes all your posts even worse. Your type of personality is whats wrong with the world today. You happen to be proof that education does not equal intelligence. I am in college now. I can tell you having a degree doesn't make you a better person than anyone, and assuming so is arrogant. You have no class. I hope one day something happens where you may not be able to afford a couple hundred dollars for something that you enjoy.
X.O. Kommando Nowotny
FlyKommando.com

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2009, 01:38:58 AM »
I'm at work currently, but I was able run the new update on this laptop from 2001. Here is the dxdiag, hold your laughter until afterwards, please.

------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 7/29/2009, 02:35:25
       Machine name: KOMET
   Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)
           Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
       System Model: Sheeks - Northwood/Brookdale Customer Reference Board
               BIOS: BIOS Revision:  1.02.00
          Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.40GHz
             Memory: 254MB RAM
          Page File: 208MB used, 417MB available
        Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
    DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
     DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.2180 32bit Unicode

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
        Card name: MOBILITY RADEON 9000
     Manufacturer: ATI Technologies Inc.
        Chip type: Mobility Radeon 9000 AGP (0x4C66)
         DAC type: Internal DAC(350MHz)
       Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_4C66&SUBSYS_56001558&REV_01
   Display Memory: 64.0 MB
     Current Mode: 1280 x 1024 (32 bit) (60Hz)
          Monitor: Default Monitor
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2009, 01:42:23 AM »
I assume your educated and retired. That makes all your posts even worse. Your type of personality is whats wrong with the world today. You happen to be proof that education does not equal intelligence. I am in college now. I can tell you having a degree doesn't make you a better person than anyone, and assuming so is arrogant. You have no class. I hope one day something happens where you may not be able to afford a couple hundred dollars for something that you enjoy.

He's a pubescent teen actually.

Offline kilo2

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2009, 01:44:01 AM »
He's a pubescent teen actually.

Well that would make sense.
X.O. Kommando Nowotny
FlyKommando.com