Author Topic: :mad:WHY IS NEW GAME SET TO MAKE GV'S ALMOST USELESS  (Read 3208 times)

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
Re: :mad:WHY IS NEW GAME SET TO MAKE GV'S ALMOST USELESS
« Reply #45 on: July 31, 2009, 06:43:24 PM »
Respectfully disagree here, when a Tiger tank(around 35 points) (the most heavily armored tank option in the game) is able to be taken out in ONE pass by an il2 (free) then that is evidence that the ground/air game is unbalanced in my opinion.

1 pass kills are uncommon against Tigers. Trust me, I really do drop on them.

Free 30 eny fighters take out ME-262s that cost 200 perks or more. Cost and eny has nothing to do with it...respectfully. Tanks, even heavy ones, really were vulnerable when hit in the weak spots of their armor

Before we got an actual tank killer all we used to get was one suicidal run by a Typhie to drop Ords. Then the tanks had their own way. It was common for a few tanks to control an airbase once they got position. How balanced is that? How realistic is it?

You dont really see many IL2s at GV base vs GV base battles. Most dont want to meander that far, that slow. Or like me they prefer to allow Tanks to have their spots to fight other tanks out of consideration.

Actually, and Im not talking about anyone here, I am often appalled at the lousy tactics many GV'ers use when IL2s are around them. They either out run their flak cover, or try impossable shots that allow us to locate them, or dont use cover effectively. Or they bring the wrong tool for the job. Want attention? Then just bring a Tiger to an airfield spawn. Everyone enemy with a joystick will drop what they are doing and come after you. The Tiger is in its element on the defense. In my opinion the T-34/85 is the best tank to spawn into an airfield with.

Want a tip? When you find a spot to sit not only use cover but also dont sit level. A T-34, or any tank, thats stopped at an angle makes it far harder for an IL2 to find your weak spots. Most players, "not I", start shooting 37mm's far to early and further the difficulty. If your moving your T-34 then weave your way to cover, "use your ears and swirve when you hear the IL2 getting close", then find another piece of cover and make for that.

Eventually many IL2 drivers will get impatient and come in flat. Then you can take him with your main gun.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 31, 2009, 06:44:06 PM »
B-25H is far better for taking out AA ground vehicles than the Il2 is.  Can turret them far beyond their gun range and render them useless.  With the ability to take out GVs in a single shot beyond d1.5, I would think the B-25H is far more a threat to GVs than an IL2.

That's disputable in so far as the required skill level to utilize that advantage in the B-25 is much higher than simply blasting tanks with a il-2.
It's similar to the "old" Il-2 and the Hurricane 2D years ago: In theory, the 2D was much better as it's guns had better penetration and could t-34'S and Tiger where the IL-2 could not, but the demands on the pilot were much higher.

All in all, Il-2's are a bigger threat for tanks as B-25s

Tour 113
Il-2 vs Panzer   2307-643 (K/D 3.6)
Il-2 vs T34/85   361-392 (K/D 0.9)

B-25H vs Panzer   601-335 (K/D 1.8 )
B-25H vs T34-85   89-173 ((K/D 0.5 )
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #47 on: July 31, 2009, 06:58:52 PM »
You twist my words little one.

Some dishonest people disable other player's skins while GVing so they can see them easier  :aok
Been playing like 2 years and never heard of that...interesting :salute
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #48 on: July 31, 2009, 07:06:09 PM »
That's disputable in so far as the required skill level to utilize that advantage in the B-25 is much higher than simply blasting tanks with a il-2.
It's similar to the "old" Il-2 and the Hurricane 2D years ago: In theory, the 2D was much better as it's guns had better penetration and could t-34'S and Tiger where the IL-2 could not, but the demands on the pilot were much higher.

All in all, Il-2's are a bigger threat for tanks as B-25s

Tour 113
Il-2 vs Panzer   2307-643 (K/D 3.6)
Il-2 vs T34/85   361-392 (K/D 0.9)

B-25H vs Panzer   601-335 (K/D 1.8 )
B-25H vs T34-85   89-173 ((K/D 0.5 )

I wouldn't be surprised if those numbers change if HTC ever gives the B-25H its 5-6 AP rounds.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #49 on: July 31, 2009, 07:35:24 PM »

If you know the spot to hit them, a Tiger will go down in one pass to an IL2 or B-25H. Someone posted a film just after the B-25H was released showing multiple one shot kills on Tigers. 

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Ratpack1

• Nickel Member
      • The Ryan Sayer Show @ OnTilt Radio
« Reply #50 on: July 31, 2009, 07:38:36 PM »
Its right around the second wheel in from the back. A good shot in ttha area will pop it. I think also if you come directly on top it will as well.
When you get where you're going, that's where you are! -Mike Brady
172nd Rabid Dawgs
"The Real" Commander of Awesome (Stick "Ozzie Nelson" Pig)

Offline stodd

• Gold Member
« Reply #51 on: July 31, 2009, 07:42:52 PM »
B-25H is far better for taking out AA ground vehicles than the Il2 is.  Can turret them far beyond their gun range and render them useless.  With the ability to take out GVs in a single shot beyond d1.5, I would think the B-25H is far more a threat to GVs than an IL2.

ack-ack
Good points, however I think the Il2 is more a threat because, one it fires AP rounds and two it fires more rapidly then the b25 allowing you to adjust your shots accordingly. While I understand that range of the gun would be more important for attacking AA vehicles against tanks, you can get as close as you want with little danger from the tank.
Stodd/ CandyMan
I don't get why you even typed that, you know it's stupid.

Offline stodd

• Gold Member
« Reply #52 on: July 31, 2009, 07:53:33 PM »

Free 30 eny fighters take out ME-262s that cost 200 perks or more. Cost and eny has nothing to do with it...respectfully. Tanks, even heavy ones, really were vulnerable when hit in the weak spots of their armor.Yes but that is air vs air right their, another example would be a panzer killing a tiger (ground vs ground). But air vs ground
Before we got an actual tank killer all we used to get was one suicidal run by a Typhie to drop Ords. Then the tanks had their own way. It was common for a few tanks to control an airbase once they got position. How balanced is that? How realistic is it? It sounds like it was unbalanced, favoring the ground as apposed to air. However im guessing that is why they brought in tank killers? To make the Air/ ground battle more balanced. I am saying that with the introduction of the 37mm IL2 it has become unbalanced once again, this time favoring the Air (IMO).You dont really see many IL2s at GV base vs GV base battles. Most dont want to meander that far, that slow. Or like me they prefer to allow Tanks to have their spots to fight other tanks out of consideration.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 07:58:00 PM by stodd »
Stodd/ CandyMan
I don't get why you even typed that, you know it's stupid.

Offline texasmom

• Platinum Member
« Reply #53 on: July 31, 2009, 08:37:23 PM »
The spawn into A19 has always been that long of a drive.  As soon as I see that as the next base over I always go elsewhere. :)
<S> Easy8
<S> Mac

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #54 on: July 31, 2009, 08:45:28 PM »
I don't understand the complaining about the Il2, if you don't have aircover or flaks you can expect to get decimated.

Have some sympathy for the Germans caught in the open after the weather cleared in Dec 44/Jan 45, they experienced it first hand.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline alskahawk

• Silver Member
« Reply #55 on: July 31, 2009, 09:59:07 PM »
Sorry mate gotta raise the flag back onya. Your chances against wirlies in an IL2 are so dim I basically leave them alone unless there is some over-riding need to come into them. By "Dim" I mean getting shot bad enough that you have to break off your attack, not only killed. Unless your one of these types that figures on suicide every time you go up then you had better find other things to do then come into experienced wirlie shooters when in IL2s.
But I only make a living hunting armor and Lynx is even better at it then I am. Both of us are easy to check up on and if your going to start waving the BS flag then put up your game name too to back up your flag.  A big, slow airplane like the IL2 looks like a big Turkey from the gunsight of a wirlie.
Sure I have tricks against wirlies. But its easier to just let your own tanks take them. The thing is a properly constructed armored attack, with supporting flak, is a difficult nut to crack with air power alone, "especially with ords down". We have some wirlie shooters in the game who make the 1 on 1 odds, 1 wirlie vs 1 IL2, more like an 80 or 90% on the wirlies side.
Think a WW-2 tank or two would trot off on their own to attack an enemy airbase? So then why would you expect them to be able to do it in the game?
Oh Pleeze! You just don't want to lose your source of easy kills. There are a very few guys who kill very well in wirblys. The rest are spray and pray.  If tanks arn't such easy kills then why are the so many planes in TT? So your IL2 doesnt have bombs? You really think all those attack scores are from taking bases? Its a feeding frenzy for the planes. P51s tracking tanks with MGs and your trying to say that a 37mm isn't that deadly. Yeah!!? Let me get my raincoat, cause whats comin down aint rain.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 11:45:57 PM by alskahawk »

Offline alskahawk

• Silver Member
« Reply #56 on: July 31, 2009, 11:48:20 PM »
I don't understand the complaining about the Il2, if you don't have aircover or flaks you can expect to get decimated.

Have some sympathy for the Germans caught in the open after the weather cleared in Dec 44/Jan 45, they experienced it first hand.

Germans had night and they also had real camouflage and trees. Our game is numerically balanced generally speaking.

Offline bravoa8

• Silver Member
« Reply #57 on: August 01, 2009, 12:23:04 AM »
i like the new terrain for gvs its detailed no hedgerows and panzers can camo in better the only problem is that my frame rates are lower but its still pretty playable :)

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #58 on: August 01, 2009, 12:23:21 AM »
Germans had night and they also had real camouflage and trees. Our game is numerically balanced generally speaking.

Night doesn't last 24 hours.

The historic trees didn't block bombs.

The game may be balanced numerically. However, the lack of troops and supply lines in the open makes the tanks even more able since they no longer rely on these two soft targets to support them.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #59 on: August 01, 2009, 03:56:16 AM »
Oh Pleeze! You just don't want to lose your source of easy kills. There are a very few guys who kill very well in wirblys. The rest are spray and pray.  If tanks arn't such easy kills then why are the so many planes in TT? So your IL2 doesnt have bombs? You really think all those attack scores are from taking bases? Its a feeding frenzy for the planes. P51s tracking tanks with MGs and your trying to say that a 37mm isn't that deadly. Yeah!!? Let me get my raincoat, cause whats comin down aint rain.

Once again. What is your screen name so we can find out what your killing and what you aint.

Normally I'd never ask that but normal people dont accuse experienced players they are talking BS.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"