Author Topic: lag pursuit managment questions  (Read 572 times)

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
lag pursuit managment questions
« on: August 04, 2009, 04:41:22 PM »
I understand what lag pursuit is but how does it 'look & feel' from the cockpit's view, is it when turning with them I see them above my gun sight or when my lift vector is pointing at them, (where I see them looking straight up)?

Often I will attempt it to preserve 'e' but they manage to turn into my lift vector such that their nose is pointed right at the top of my cockpit. Any advise is appreciated.

Yeah, that's right, you just got your rear handed to you by a fuggly puppet!
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Spatula

• Silver Member
Re: lag pursuit managment questions
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 07:42:02 PM »
If your gunsight is behind them, you're in lag. Gunsight on them, you're in pure. Gunsight out in front of them, you're in lead.

Lead increases your closure rate. Pure maintains it. Lag slows it.

http://trainers.hitechcreations.com/pursuit/pursuit.htm
Airborne Kitchen Utensil Assault Group

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 08:17:25 PM »
I knew a Pea38 guy would know something about that  :lol Thanks for the links fellas  :salute
Lighten up Francis

Offline Agent360

• Nickel Member
      • http://troywardphotography.com
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2009, 06:54:02 AM »
Interesting topic. Most of the time this topic is about gunnery or managing closure rates.

But also consider the "angles" created by flying different persuits.

For example you can fly a lag persuit and LET the turny plane see that he can turn into you and avoid your guns. Once you get him to commit to the break turn your free to stall turn in vert for a close guns.

You can also pull a lead for guns and LET him initiate the scissor to avoid the guns. Then you can take control of the vert for close guns. I often do this to fake an overshoot...just as he thinks im going past I barrel roll over the top and pop him on his scissor reversal.

The object is to catch him close so you can not miss.

Flying different persuits inside guns often confuses them and can make them initiate break moves that give you better guns. The worst thing is to have to go into a flat shallow spiral turn. If you can throw out some bait (pull hard lead) or appear timid ( fly lazy lag) you can often induce him into an offensive move that gives you angles.

Just a few thoughts

Agent360
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 07:02:22 AM by Agent360 »

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2009, 08:45:22 AM »
I understand what lag pursuit is but how does it 'look & feel' from the cockpit's view, is it when turning with them I see them above my gun sight or when my lift vector is pointing at them, (where I see them looking straight up)?

Often I will attempt it to preserve 'e' but they manage to turn into my lift vector such that their nose is pointed right at the top of my cockpit. Any advise is appreciated.

If your opponent is in your straight up view you're at a point of equity with your opponent and you need to be concerned with not losing angles in a close fight or with preparing for a reverse in a looser fight.  Concern with pursuit angles will come into play once you have your opponent in your forward or forward/up view.  Getting him there should be your first concern.

As you've found, playing "loose" with someone in the vertical can put you in peril and give your opponent a full profile.  You need to get your nose on him to take away angles on his reverse and give him a smaller target.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2009, 10:37:27 AM »
What you need to establish from the cockpit view is "fixing the bandit in your line of sight."  That means that the bandit is stationary in your view through the canopy, along the line of your lift vector.  If the bandit is moving up in your view, you're probably too fast and outside his turn radius.  If he is moving down in your view, you are inside his turn radius, but it may only be temporary and you will overshoot and get into a scissors fight.  So to establish a good lag pursuit, try to keep the bandit in one place from your view through the canopy.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2009, 12:05:30 PM »
Ardy,

If this is going back to the time we spent together you need to understand the difference between "lag" and lift vector. If you are in true lag then you have similarly oriented lift vectors. That puts the con in your plane of movement (which can be a good or a bad thing). When you are "out of plane" to your opponent you create a significantly wider range of options with regard to lag and lead. If you go back to any film you might have of that (or the fights between Bat and I) you'll a lot of "out of plane lag to in plane lead". As a general rule I'll stabalize a con (when possible) in out of plane lag just off the front of a wing tip...

This a film bat took that shows (from his view) a somewhat stabilized bogey in a rolling scissor defense.

The advantage to learning out of plane lag pursuit is your ability to fine tune your AoT and E state via the magnitude of the oscillation...
http://www.freeroleentertainment.com/gunner_kill.ahf         
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 01:00:21 PM by humble »

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson