Author Topic: Interesting Toms article on mid range (less then $150) VC's  (Read 364 times)

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
Interesting Toms article on mid range (less then $150) VC's
« on: August 12, 2009, 04:45:46 PM »
The page I linked is to the 9800GT, this goes back to earlier threads on power consumption. This is an overclocked 9800 so its certainly a bit higher then normal...but toms has it pulling 173W in 2D and 292W at full load in a gaming environment. This is right on the 24@ number a lot of us threw out for a single rail minimum. While others 9800's would be less at stock when you consider any OC or potential efficiency issues with a PS this is a good minimum in my mind.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/budget-radeon-geforce,2364-8.html       

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Movie Database
Re: Interesting Toms article on mid range (less then $150) VC's
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2009, 05:31:50 PM »
I read part of that article the other day.  And IIRC, according to another article the way they measured the wattage draw wasn't 100% accurate.  The last article I read was about a year ago and they were reading the Wattage differences from the electrical socket with something like the P3 Kill A Watt, then they would calculate in the Efficiency Rating of the PSU to gather a wattage of a certain part.  I'm sure those numbers are really close to what the actual wattage is, but I wouldn't push a wattage of a PSU up against that number (none of us should in any case).
In game callsign: not currently flying
Flying off and on since Warbirds
Aces High Movies available at www.derstuhl.net/ahmd2 - no longer aceshighmovies.com - not updated either

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2009, 08:24:15 PM »
Do not trust them! Your best bet is to speak to a builder or go by the experience of several users.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline Dragon

• Platinum Member
      • AH JUGS
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2009, 09:07:37 PM »
Do not trust them! Your best bet is to speak to a builder or go by the experience of several users.

+ 1
SWchef  Lieutenant Colonel  Squadron Training Officer  125th Spartan Warriors

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2009, 09:51:59 PM »
You also have to remember, different manufacturers build their video cards a little bit differently. While the card being reviewed may have actually consumed a low amount of power, the same card from a different manufacturer could consume up to 20% more.

Don't risk it, get yourself a Power Supply with plenty of overhead.
Get your Daily Dose of Flame!
FlameThink.com
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare.

Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.