Author Topic: District 9  (Read 2278 times)

Offline 1pLUs44

• Gold Member
Re: District 9
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2009, 12:39:28 AM »
It's a safe bet that an adult film called District 69 is in the works.  :)

In response to cloverfield... what would the adult counterpart be called?

cleavagefield?  :lol
No one knows what the future may bring.

Offline Selino631

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2009, 12:40:48 AM »
outstanding movie, extremely intense! my heart rate was very high starting during the first 5 min! I heard rumor that the director filmed this movie to get a budget for a Halo movie next year? anyone else hear
OEF 11-12

Offline soda72

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2009, 09:17:01 AM »
I've been hearing a lot of good press about this movie..

But how is it any different than "alien nation", the plot seems very similar...

[EDIT]

I knew it..

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Too-Close-To-Call-10-Ways-District-9-Is-An-Alien-Nation-Knockoff-14310.html
« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 09:41:09 AM by soda72 »

Offline Bosco123

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2009, 07:01:18 PM »
Going to see it tonight....
Skifurd AKA "Bosco"
Unmanned Aerial Systems (UAS) Operator
United States Marine
"Stay ahead of the game, Stay ahead of the plane."

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2009, 07:07:45 PM »
I've been hearing a lot of good press about this movie..

But how is it any different than "alien nation", the plot seems very similar...

[EDIT]

I knew it..

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Too-Close-To-Call-10-Ways-District-9-Is-An-Alien-Nation-Knockoff-14310.html

Actually, the "underlying theme" of District 9 being filmed in Johannesburg should give it away.   It isn't an "Alien Nation Ripoff", it is merely being "overthought" into something more complex.   I don't want to spell it out, as it would spoil some of it.   

But it's about time, Directors get this creative.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline SPKmes

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2009, 07:44:36 PM »
outstanding movie, extremely intense! my heart rate was very high starting during the first 5 min! I heard rumor that the director filmed this movie to get a budget for a Halo movie next year? anyone else hear

These guys were actually making the Halo film but apparently nobody was willing to pick it up so they made this to pass the time. This cost 30 mil to make and made 37 mil in the first weekend I believe.

This is the best I could find on the cancelled project in a couple of minutes. but you get the Idea
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09226/990683-60.stm
« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 07:53:44 PM by SPKmes »

Offline soda72

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2009, 08:48:51 AM »
  it is merely being "overthought" into something more complex. 
That's just a politically correct way of saying it's an 'Alien Nation' knockoff.. :lol

But it's about time, Directors get this creative.

I guess it's creative borrowing several ideas from another source and build on it to make it better.  Whoever
owns the rights to 'Alien Nation' probably won't mind one bit, once the producers of 'District 9' hand over a nice big juicy royalty check..

:D
« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 08:52:14 AM by soda72 »

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2009, 09:22:35 AM »
That's just a politically correct way of saying it's an 'Alien Nation' knockoff.. :lol

I guess it's creative borrowing several ideas from another source and build on it to make it better.  Whoever
owns the rights to 'Alien Nation' probably won't mind one bit, once the producers of 'District 9' hand over a nice big juicy royalty check..

:D

No, you don't "get" the parallels of the movie.   It has nothing to do with "Alien Nation", but it does have to do with the "Nation" it was filmed in. 
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline xbrit

• Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2009, 09:40:40 AM »
Try thinking of the areas apartheid past.

Offline BlueJ1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2009, 09:53:07 AM »

Im not getting into the debate if D9 is a knockoff or not, considering I was only in the single digits in age when Alien Nation came out. But thats the problem with creating new movies today. What hasnt been made into a movie, book, or video game? Anything created now will always be accused of being a knockoff because at some point and time it was already done.
U.S.N.
Aviation Electrician MH-60S
OEF 08-09'

Offline Wolfala

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2009, 10:21:09 AM »
Try thinking of the areas apartheid past.

Hard to spell it out when the OC requires thought for a moment. We are thick today

the best cure for "wife ack" is to deploy chaff:    $...$$....$....$$$.....$ .....$$$.....$ ....$$

Offline druski85

• Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2009, 10:43:19 AM »
*A couple minor spoilers here*

I enjoyed the movie quite a lot.  What really made me happy was for the most part I was able to suspend my disbelief, primarily due to the style with which it was made.  This made me happy, as there were only a couple "oh come on..." moments for me.  I haven't been able to say that about a sci-fi movie in many a moon.  That being said, I do not believe it deserves the 10/10 that so many people are willing to throw at anything decent nowadays.  I would however give it a solid 8 or 8.5 .

Allegory is a simple but effective means to get a point across.  For those who did not pick up on it, please go back to 9th grade English (or your preferred language) class.   I really liked the pick of J-burg for a shooting location, particuarly because they shot it in an actual slum that was being "relocated."  It added a gritty and realistic feel to the whole set, and increased the immersion significantly.  Also I have a hard time with the complaints that the movie portrayed humans in too dark a nature -- but that may be the rampant cynic in me.  I thought if anything the humans were almost unrealistically trusting of the prawns, particularly during the eviction. 

Anyway, it is definitely a good flick and (without having seen too many) my favorite of the summer.  It is definitely a bit of a rip-off of alien nation, but is in my opinion a significantly better movie.  I would be happy without a sequel as I don't enjoy being spoon-fed contrived plot lines just to "finish" a story.  (See BSG, season 4  ;) )  That being said, I have a hard time believing one will not show up in 3 summers. 

Offline soda72

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2009, 11:47:57 AM »
No, you don't "get" the parallels of the movie.   It has nothing to do with "Alien Nation", but it does have to do with the "Nation" it was filmed in. 

The article I linked above covers that point, and further explains how that point is also a knockoff from 'Alien Nation'. 

District 9's a great movie, but I wouldn't make the claim that it is original, until you've seen 'Alien Nation' at least once plus the tv series..
 :)

Offline John Curnutte

• Nickel Member
      • Precisionsquad.org
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2009, 02:26:46 PM »
 I will go see this movie and hopefully enjoy it , as I have a better system than Rodgers and Ebert or whatever they are . I have you guys and if ya'll say its ok then its good enough for me . You can get all opinions and views here and its looking like 8 to 8.5 is the rating so far.
                   Nutte :salute
Don't be afraid to put it out there , if it gets cut off it'll grow back
On your mark , Get set , go away !

Offline Bosco123

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2009, 07:29:59 PM »
I honestly found it quite funny throught the hole move.

Best gun was the zappy gun, no matter what. :lol
Skifurd AKA "Bosco"
Unmanned Aerial Systems (UAS) Operator
United States Marine
"Stay ahead of the game, Stay ahead of the plane."