Author Topic: Can I schedule an F4U clinic?  (Read 629 times)

Offline modeus

• Zinc Member
Can I schedule an F4U clinic?
« on: August 17, 2009, 11:16:06 PM »
I would like a trained to work with me sometime this week in the F4U. I'm devoted to this plane. I've read alot about ACM. I can make some of it work for me sometimes. But I need some help fine tuning what I do and when to do it.
Also, its a squad plane, so is there any possibility of having several of us at different skill levels come to it?
The times that would work best for me, and hopefully most of my squad, are between 4:00pm PST and 8:00pm PST during the week (except thursday, and friday I would have to it off around 7:30pm PST) and any afternoon/ evenings on the weekend.

Modeus

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
Re: Can I schedule an F4U clinic?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2009, 12:17:58 AM »
I would like a trained to work with me sometime this week in the F4U. I'm devoted to this plane. I've read alot about ACM. I can make some of it work for me sometimes. But I need some help fine tuning what I do and when to do it.
Also, its a squad plane, so is there any possibility of having several of us at different skill levels come to it?
The times that would work best for me, and hopefully most of my squad, are between 4:00pm PST and 8:00pm PST during the week (except thursday, and friday I would have to it off around 7:30pm PST) and any afternoon/ evenings on the weekend.

am actually in the progress of putting a F4U Clinic together at this time, modeus, since there seems to be so much interest in it...... I month or so back, I asked some other Trainers ( the F4U fanboi trainers...hehe ) if any of them would like to participate, and most of them were all for it.....  can't say that I could throw it altogether in that short time frame of "this week" since it is already Tuesday morning at this current time

our /my scheduled time frame was looking at 2 weeks/ 3 weeks max out from scheduling it.....and I was wanting to hold it on a Saturday morning  beginning around 9am to 11 am.....but I might be able to offer 2 different dates with one being in the evening.to accomadate more players and time zones......

keep check on the Aces High Trainers Scheduling Calendar at the below link:
http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/calendar/
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Noah17

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2009, 06:08:43 AM »
I'm all for it. Love the Gull Winged Bird but, I can't say it loves me...........

I look forward to it Thanks TC and Modeus.
 :rock

Offline modeus

• Zinc Member
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2009, 08:42:33 AM »
Sounds awesome TC, I didn't mean this week in my original post, I was just trying to give an idea of times that would work for me, but I'm not the only one who would want to be there... So whenever it can happen I will do my best to be there.

Modeus

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2009, 10:13:03 AM »
I'm sure some of VMF-251 would be interested in attending. Sounds like this could be fertile recruiting ground, too. :D
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Patches1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2009, 12:07:53 PM »
I'm in for a Saturday Morning.  :-)
"We're surrounded. That simplifies the problem."- Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller, General, USMC

Offline Big Rat

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2009, 05:51:41 PM »
modeus,

I should be in the TA tonight around 9:00 central time, if you are interested in doing some more work.

Saxman,

I've been in the TA trying to grab every hog stick I can find with a good attitude and a willingness to learn.  The 332nd is starting to become full of gull wings, but I consider that a good thing :D

:salute
BigRat
When you think the fight might be going bad, it already has.
Becoming one with the Hog, is to become one with Greatness, VF-17 XO & training officer BigRat

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2009, 07:10:04 PM »
I've been giving an F4U clinic some pretty serious thought too.  A goofy work schedule mixed with family can make it tough for me to schedule "regular" hours though, so linking it with another trainer is very appealing.

Not to make any promises, but what are the topics you guys are most interested in?  Aerial combat?  Ground strike tactics?  A basic overview, or more specific items?

I've never run a clinic, and have only sat through part of one.  My normal 1 on 1 program would probably be a mess with multiple students, at differing skill levels, so I wouldn't mind some input.  A "wish list" type thing...

MtnMan

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not". Thomas Jefferson

Offline maddafinga

• Silver Member
      • The Musketeers Squadron
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2009, 09:36:13 PM »
I'd be all over a clinic or a 1 on 1 training or whatever.  I've been trying to fly it this camp and have always loved the Corsair, I just can't seem to fly it worth a crap in AH.  I need all the help I can get.
madda
The Musketeers Squadron
http://www.musketeers.org/
When the Dude is recognized in the World, Undudeness is seen everywhere... Dude De Ching
http://dudeism.com/tao/

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2009, 09:53:23 PM »
The Corsair can be a tough beast to tame, but the reward once you learn how is that there's just so MUCH she does well.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline maddafinga

• Silver Member
      • The Musketeers Squadron
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2009, 09:55:26 PM »
Man I used to love that thing in AW.  I tried flying it right off there but gave that up.  It took me about a year to get good enough to do well in it there.  I can't fly it here for beans, but I'm trying and working to get better in it.  I really need a lot of work in general, but I'd really love to be able to fly the Corsair well. 
madda
The Musketeers Squadron
http://www.musketeers.org/
When the Dude is recognized in the World, Undudeness is seen everywhere... Dude De Ching
http://dudeism.com/tao/

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2009, 10:48:40 PM »

I've never run a clinic, and have only sat through part of one.  My normal 1 on 1 program would probably be a mess with multiple students, at differing skill levels, so I wouldn't mind some input.  A "wish list" type thing...

I'm not sure what people would be interested in, but a few things you may want to consider:

1. Taxi & Takeoff (how to avoid the ground loop)
2. Fuel loads/draining wing tanks/possibility to leave some in right wing/Differences between models
3. TC's combat trim tip
4. Tail slides (show how slow you can get the thing going "UP")
5. Different flap settings
6. How to use the rudder while not much else is responding
7. Putting the stall in stall fighting (or going with the "float")
8. Landing (both cv and af)
9. Sparring (Mtnman v. TC, anyone?)

I'd like to tag along for this clinic, if I may.  I'm sure I could learn a few things and might be able to help demonstrate a few things as well, if you'd like. 
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2009, 11:04:02 PM »
Let me know when and I can try to be on-hand, as well.

Offline Noah17

• Copper Member
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2009, 06:50:41 AM »
Maybe it would be possible for someone to do some of these things while filming it and do a little "play-by-play" narration?

The TA might get a little crowded. I'd still like to work with a trainer maybe after seeing a film of some of these things I'd have a better idea of what to work on and what questions to ask.

I  copied and pasted the things Vudak listed that I'd like to learn more about:
3. TC's combat trim tip
4. Tail slides (show how slow you can get the thing going "UP")
5. Different flap settings
6. How to use the rudder while not much else is responding
7. Putting the stall in stall fighting (or going with the "float")
8. Landing (both cv and af)
9. Sparring (Mtnman v. TC, anyone?)

Some other things maybe: What are some of the best F4U defenses? Barrel Roll, Rolling scissors, Flat scissors....In other words is the F4U built to perform these better or worse than others.....
Just a thought....

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2009, 07:42:33 AM »
You can't really go wrong with any sort of rolling defense in an F4U. There's only a handful of aircraft with a higher rate of roll at any speed, especially when you get faster.