Author Topic: What have they done to my M8!  (Read 3152 times)

Offline fbEagle

• Nickel Member
Re: What have they done to my M8!
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2009, 10:49:45 AM »
In a m8 you can turret a t-34 76 with 2 shots using armor piercing rounds. It is risky but you have to be right in front of the barrel and hit where the barrel conects to the turret. I actually find the m8 being more effective at killing planes and low level bomers than it is a anti tank vehicle. :noid
<Insert witty remark here>

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2009, 03:57:13 PM »
And thats with the Soviet NS-37 cannon, the one shooting AP over 900 ms.

Pretty sure the NS-37 is the cannon in the Yak-9T...and that fires pure HE.
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2009, 04:11:50 PM »
And let's conveniently ignore the fact that besides the tremendous amount of recoil that prevented firing more than a few shells in succession (with any accuracy), the 37mm cannon on the Il-2 were found to jam so frequently as to make the 23mm armament preferable. :P

Only in AH do mediocre weapons that never attained more than marginal success get turned into ubiquitous uber-weapons. :lol
« Last Edit: August 29, 2009, 04:13:51 PM by Anaxogoras »
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2009, 04:24:57 PM »
Well, you know when they were first going to introduce the NS-37 to AHII, I set up an offline armor-killing mission in Il2 to get an idea of what it would be like. Killed some tanks in one pass, and I was thinking.."Yeah...uber."

Then I upped a P-51D and tried strafing the tanks and *still* got one pass kills. :rofl :

This is the same P-51D that in Il2 can empty a whole clip into an Fw-190 without causing much more than a fuel leak... :D :D :D :D :D

So it could be worse Anax, could be alot worse.  ;)

And let's conveniently ignore the fact that besides the tremendous amount of recoil that prevented firing more than a few shells in succession (with any accuracy), the 37mm cannon on the Il-2 were found to jam so frequently as to make the 23mm armament preferable. :P

Only in AH do mediocre weapons that never attained more than marginal success get turned into ubiquitous uber-weapons. :lol
« Last Edit: August 29, 2009, 04:30:52 PM by BnZs »
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2009, 04:28:27 PM »
That depends on the tanks. The earlier ones might've fallen prey to the Brownings if they were around the battlefield back then. But, don't take that as saying anything for Il-2's modeling... :noid
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2009, 04:30:32 PM »
Then I upped a P-51D and tried strafing the tanks and *still* got one pass kills. :rofl :
Sounds like a bug.  That hasn't happened online since they fixed light to medium ammo damage against armor.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Stryker

• Copper Member
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2009, 07:26:20 PM »
I HAVE seen it!!! Miracle ack starts killin at 5k with single cockpit shots..

ive had it happen to me.. more then once, makes me want to throw my joystick through the monitor
Lt Cmdr Gambit
The Aggressor Squadron
65th AGRS, 57th ATG
"Terror In The Skies"

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2009, 07:51:36 PM »
Only in AH do mediocre weapons that never attained more than marginal success get turned into ubiquitous uber-weapons.

Of course this only applies to the weapons that shoot at you. I feel your pain. It seems every weapon shooting at me is modeled incorrectly. :uhoh
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2009, 09:03:00 PM »
Of course this only applies to the weapons that shoot at you. I feel your pain. It seems every weapon shooting at me is modeled incorrectly. :uhoh
Good try at distracting from the historical facts.

I am getting tired of your personal attacks on anyone who points out that your beloved 37mm Il-2 is far more capable in the game than it ever was in actual combat, and to an extent that far outstrips the inaccuracies of other aircraft in the game.  
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 09:08:36 PM by Anaxogoras »
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline BrownBaron

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2009, 09:16:06 PM »

I am getting tired of your personal attacks on anyone who points out that your beloved 37mm Il-2 is far more capable in the game than it ever was in actual combat, and to an extent that far outstrips the inaccuracies of other aircraft in the game.  

ITS A GAME, A BUSSINESS, A LIVING, HT is trying to make a more enjoyable experience for the majority of the subribers...if you find yourself outnumbered in a forum, theyre doing their jobs correctly...
O Jagdgeschwader 77

Ingame ID: Johannes

Offline E25280

• Gold Member
      • http://125thspartanforums.com
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2009, 09:44:11 PM »

Perhaps he is tired of you overstating the case against the supposed "inaccuracies" in the IL-2?

Sounds like you are about even to me.

:P

Every plane has some sort of inaccuracy, because all planes in the game function exactly as designed -- not as experienced on the battlefield.  All planes sufferred to some extent from mechanical failures or guns jamming or <insert favored form of selective realism here>, but in AH, NONE suffer from any of these effects.  There is no favoritism shown to any plane in this regard.

Couple this with the fact there is no penalty for dying in a game (unlike real life), and you are going to get results in the game that were never achieved in RL, simply because cartoon pilots will push to the limit and beyond, and find that last razor edge of performance that few RL pilots would ever dare find.
Brauno in a past life, followed by LTARget
SWtarget in current incarnation
Captain and Communications Officer~125th Spartans

"Proudly drawing fire so that my brothers may pass unharmed."

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2009, 05:49:07 AM »
Eh!  I call it playful exaggeration. :)

I agree and understand the points you make, but it seems like in the 37mm Il-2's case the "idealization" benefit is far more pronounced than in other aircraft.  In other words, the less reliable a weapon was, and the more difficult to deploy, the more its reliability and ease of use increases when implemented in a computer game.  Do you see what I mean?
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2009, 01:37:08 PM »

I was actually joking.

But since you ask this IL2 whining of yours got stale about 20 whines ago.

Next time you kill a tank 1/2 sector away, or knock down an IL2 with your main gun, convince yourself how legit all of that is and then come here and complain.

The difference is I dont whine or cry about these things. I just get another cartoon airplane, relieved that the bullets arent real.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2009, 03:28:51 PM »
You just spout one fallacy after another.  There really is no point in discussing things with you.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member