Author Topic: 109F plastic model  (Read 1866 times)

Offline pipz

• Platinum Member
109F plastic model
« on: August 29, 2009, 09:49:18 AM »
Heres a 109F I just built.Its markings are that of Joseph "Pips" Priller.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2009, 09:51:54 AM by pipz »
Silence tells me secretly everything.

Montreal! Free the Pitt Bulls!!!!!

Offline sirvlad

• Nickel Member
Re: 109F plastic model
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2009, 10:00:13 AM »
Nice job  :aok

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2009, 10:03:25 AM »
Nice detail work man.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2009, 10:05:54 AM »
Another winner Pipz!  :aok

Thanks for sharing.

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2009, 10:12:25 AM »
Very nice Pipz, just one question..................... ..... what happened to the washing machine?  :D

Offline pipz

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2009, 10:47:23 AM »
Very nice Pipz, just one question..................... ..... what happened to the washing machine?  :D

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!Fugi because my camera sucks I had my buddy take the pictures at work.Dont worry though when I get a decent camera myself the appliances will return <G>

Thanks fellas!Half the fun of building this stuff is sharing it with people who have the same interests.

Horrido!
Pipz

Offline TEShaw

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2009, 11:31:25 AM »
Why is the sky brown?

Offline TEShaw

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2009, 11:36:28 AM »
I don't know just how much is decal and how much is paint. But there is some very fine painting there.

By 'fine' I'm using both meanings as in well-done and microscopic.

Offline maddafinga

• Silver Member
      • The Musketeers Squadron
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2009, 12:00:07 PM »
Excellent work on the  painting and on the decals, no slivering at all.  I did notice a couple of seams that could stand to be scraped smooth and touched up, on the air intake for example.  Maybe a teeny bit of scraping and filling on the belly between the wings.  Other than that it looks very very clean and well done.  Have you ever tried a thinned down wash of oils to accent the panel lines?  That and maybe a teeny bit of dirtying it up would really take the whole thing up another notch.  Overall though, it's a very good model as it is right now.

madda
The Musketeers Squadron
http://www.musketeers.org/
When the Dude is recognized in the World, Undudeness is seen everywhere... Dude De Ching
http://dudeism.com/tao/

Offline stodd

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2009, 12:25:59 PM »
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!Fugi because my camera sucks I had my buddy take the pictures at work.Dont worry though when I get a decent camera myself the appliances will return <G>

Thanks fellas!Half the fun of building this stuff is sharing it with people who have the same interests.

Horrido!
Pipz
Wow pipz! that is awsome.
Stodd/ CandyMan
I don't get why you even typed that, you know it's stupid.

Offline pipz

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2009, 12:45:28 PM »
Shaw....Thanks! The fact that you cant tell the differance is good <G> Anything that is a number, stencil or marking is a decal.The base colors are paint.The brown was just some cardboard we threw in the back so you could see the kit better.

Maddafinger....Thank you! Sounds like you build models yourself.If so you have will have to post some pictures for us.If you look at a 109 there is a weld seem along the the intake so I left that the way it was.I probably should have sanded it down a bit more though.As for any other seems I just missed them.After I put it together I paint my kits with a mid grey to try and pick out any problems and fix them.I'm almost forty years old so I think my eyes are not as good as they use to be.After looking at the nice resolution pictures that were zoomed in I noticed some spots myself.I think Priller got this plane brand new from the factory.If you look at pictures of the real plane it is in nice shape,looks clean and seems to be very well maintained.There doesnt even seem to be much exhaust stain on the sides.I did give it some weathering and a bit of wear but since it is a new plane I didnt want to over due it.If you look at the bottom there is some exhaust stain.I try not to overdue the panel lines too much.I dont like the "outline" look and try to make it uneven.I prefer a subtle look.Considering the plane is new I went especialy light on it.I think the pictures took a bit of the weathering away.When I look at the actual model you can see it more.

Pipz

Offline maddafinga

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2009, 02:41:28 PM »

Maddafinger....Thank you! Sounds like you build models yourself.If so you have will have to post some pictures for us.If you look at a 109 there is a weld seem along the the intake so I left that the way it was.I probably should have sanded it down a bit more though.As for any other seems I just missed them.After I put it together I paint my kits with a mid grey to try and pick out any problems and fix them.I'm almost forty years old so I think my eyes are not as good as they use to be.After looking at the nice resolution pictures that were zoomed in I noticed some spots myself.I think Priller got this plane brand new from the factory.If you look at pictures of the real plane it is in nice shape,looks clean and seems to be very well maintained.There doesnt even seem to be much exhaust stain on the sides.I did give it some weathering and a bit of wear but since it is a new plane I didnt want to over due it.If you look at the bottom there is some exhaust stain.I try not to overdue the panel lines too much.I dont like the "outline" look and try to make it uneven.I prefer a subtle look.Considering the plane is new I went especialy light on it.I think the pictures took a bit of the weathering away.When I look at the actual model you can see it more.

Pipz

Gotcha about the weathering, I don't have any references handy as to the state of the actual bird.  A lot of times the flash can wash small detail stuff like that out too.  What is good on that model also is that the flash didn't make the flat coat reflect and look glossy, that can happen easily and frequently. 

Gothca on the seam on the intake too, once again, no references. 

I did build models until the fire a couple of years ago that destroyed all my stuff, kits build models, airbrush and compressor, all my paints and equipment and resin and photoetch and everything.  I'm only just now starting to reaquire art supplies and whatnot, I'm probably still a year away from having a workspace and modeling equipment.  I love building models though, it's great fun.  I'm looking online to see if I can find any old pics of stuff that may still be around. 

You know you can use acetone to thin putty and wipe the excess off while smoothing the seam?  Or better still use the Mr. Surfacer putty and use alcohol and qtips the same way.  That way you avoid much of the sanding and end up with a very nice result with very little work.  That Mr.Surfacer is awesome stuff. 

What kit is that 109? 
madda
The Musketeers Squadron
When the Dude is recognized in the World, Undudeness is seen everywhere... Dude De Ching

Offline texastc316

• Silver Member
      • Mighty 316th
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2009, 03:01:09 PM »
Thats an awesome job, wish I could do that stuff.

Ive wanted to get into static models, but dont have the time, patience or space. I have gotten into RC which for some reason I found the time, patience and space (go figure). Heres my next aircraft, just came out, its Almost Ready to Fly, so I wont get credit for building or painting, just destroying. Will do in style, you recognize the scheme. Im sure.

TexsTC-CO/Court Jester-Mighty 316th FS "CREEPING DEATH"  in MA/FSO

The eager pilots are not experienced. And the experienced not eager.

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline pipz

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2009, 03:24:32 PM »
  You know you can use acetone to thin putty and wipe the excess off while smoothing the seam?  Or better still use the Mr. Surfacer putty and use alcohol and qtips the same way.  That way you avoid much of the sanding and end up with a very nice result with very little work.  That Mr.Surfacer is awesome stuff. 

Hey thanks for the tip Maddafinga I didnt know that.Getting clued in on things like that is another benefit of posting this stuff.I have heard of Mr Surfacer but for some reason never thought of picking it up <doh> go figure.I will pick some Mr Surfacer and acetone up for my next build and give it a go.Sounds like that technique could realy save me some time and grief.Thats hard luck losing all your stuff in a fire.Realy sucks.I can imagine ya lost some other items of importance as well.The kit is made by Hasegawa and is in 1/48 scale.They make a whole bunch of 109s.I would say your rite about the flash washing out some of the weathering.Also it looks like it took some of the shine off the canopy glass.For the first time I used future floor wax to give it that glass look.It looks pretty good when you looking at the kit but in the picture it doesnt seem to show as well.I'll shoot ya a PM when I start my next build so we can talk some model building talk <G>

Texastc.....Hey ya found something that motivates and interest you thats great!Enjoy the hobby and have fun destroying stuff!  :aok

Thanks for the input fellaz
Pipz

Offline maddafinga

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2009, 03:40:31 PM »
Yeah that Future is great! You dipped it and didn't paint it on right? If you polish those canopies up really well then dip them into the Future, they really get clear as glass. You want to use alcohol with the Mr. Surfacer not acetone.  The acetone is for the Model Master tube paste filler that is so ubiquitous. Here's a great tutorial on using Mr. Surfacer by a great modeler I used to know on a different forum.

http://www.swannysmodels.com/Surfacer.html

I finally managed to track down a few pics of an old model that I built.  This is the only gv model I ever made, M7 Priest mobile arty.  These pics were taken before I dirtied it up and put all the tools and cable on, it looked pretty great when all was said and done with it.  I used picture hanging cable for the tow cable, I bought aftermarket set of tools and infantry equipment to stow all around the outside. Aftermarket shells filled up the racks on the inside.  I used a really good resin and metal M2 at the mg position.  I ended up taking the baskets off the rear deck and making some new ones out of strip styrene and a tightly meshed window screen I got somewhere.  Modeling is fun!  

The fit of the basic kit parts was gawdawful, I used the Mr. Surfacer trick on as much as I could, but some of the gaps were so big that I ended up stretching sprue and filling the spaces tightly with plastic and then using liquid cement to sort of weld it all together.  Then I went over it with the Mr. Surfacer to smooth it all out.  Lot of work getting all that right.  The suspension was terrible too, lots and lots of work getting rid of seams there and ejector pin marks, same with the actual gun.  Lots of scratchbuilding little parts to replace ill fiting or misshapen kit parts.  The tracks were rubber band type and just sucked, so I got a set of metal aftermarked individual link tracks and put them all together and painted and weathered them before installing them on the finished kit.  This thing was an Italieri kit and an old one, nowhere near the quality of the Tamiya or Hasegawa stuff that's out there now.

Please do shoot me a PM next time you go to start one, I love talking modelbuilding.  

Edited for typos
« Last Edit: August 29, 2009, 03:45:10 PM by maddafinga »
madda
The Musketeers Squadron