Author Topic: NEED HELP  (Read 981 times)

Offline Dragon

• Platinum Member
      • AH JUGS
Re: NEED HELP
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2009, 11:40:44 AM »
Did he say he took it to bestbuy?

Sorry, I was using Best Buy generically to reference any of the usual rip off big chain stores which is where most people DO take their virused, broken down computers to for repairs.
SWchef  Lieutenant Colonel  Squadron Training Officer  125th Spartan Warriors

Offline xxIENAxx

• Copper Member
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2009, 12:01:52 PM »
Thank you very much guys, for your suggestions.
I moved the RAM, tried one at the time with the same result. I couldn't used the old RAM cause i haven't it anymore.
Yes, there is power to the screen, for few sec i can see the start page of Window.
The pc seems quiet clean inside, more than mine anyway  :) i do think they cleaned it when they repaired it.
I checked all the connections i could, and they seemed connected properly.
I have another pc, it's one my daughter used (now she has a labtop), do you think it's possible to move my wife's hard disk to that pc, so that she can use it?
Sorry to bother you guys, but right now i can't afford another "visit" to the technician (last costed me 500$)  :( .
Thanks again.

xxIENAxx

367th "Dynamite Gang"
In game name IENA since Tour 59

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2009, 12:10:46 PM »
Did he say he took it to bestbuy?

Nope.   :cool:
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Dragon

• Platinum Member
      • AH JUGS
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2009, 12:14:30 PM »
You might be able to move it over to the other PC and run it as the slave hard drive if you have the correct cable and an extra power supply line.

It should be easier to find the problem and repair the existing comp though.  Is it beeping at all during boot?
SWchef  Lieutenant Colonel  Squadron Training Officer  125th Spartan Warriors

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2009, 12:21:07 PM »
Thank you very much guys, for your suggestions.
I moved the RAM, tried one at the time with the same result. I couldn't used the old RAM cause i haven't it anymore.
Yes, there is power to the screen, for few sec i can see the start page of Window.
The pc seems quiet clean inside, more than mine anyway  :) i do think they cleaned it when they repaired it.
I checked all the connections i could, and they seemed connected properly.
I have another pc, it's one my daughter used (now she has a labtop), do you think it's possible to move my wife's hard disk to that pc, so that she can use it?
Sorry to bother you guys, but right now i can't afford another "visit" to the technician (last costed me 500$)  :( .
Thanks again.

xxIENAxx
Your power supply is bad. Open the case and smell the power supply...if there is a blown/leaking capacitor, diode, fuse, etc...you will smell it.

There is always a slight electrical smell in a power supply but a bad one has a distinct odor.

And unless you have the same motherboard (version/series/model) in your daughters pc, your wifes hard drive won't boot properly when you put it in the other system...not with Windows XP anyway.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 12:22:44 PM by gyrene81 »
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline xxIENAxx

• Copper Member
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2009, 12:26:19 PM »
You might be able to move it over to the other PC and run it as the slave hard drive if you have the correct cable and an extra power supply line.

It should be easier to find the problem and repair the existing comp though.  Is it beeping at all during boot?

No, it does beep. Well, here what is happening :

1) i plug the pc to the power sup.
2) the fan start running + the on/off switch on the front of the pc flashes and i can't switch off the pc.
3) i see for few sec the start page of windows, then the screen goes black and the no signal note appears.
4) i don't hear any beeb, more like mechanical "clicks" (i'm sorry i don't know how to explain it better).
5) the pc close down and eventually starts again the same process over and over again.
6) i can't switch the pc on or off, i can do it only by plug/unplug it.

Thank you again

xxIENAxx
367th "Dynamite Gang"

Offline xxIENAxx

• Copper Member
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2009, 12:37:57 PM »
Your power supply is bad. Open the case and smell the power supply...if there is a blown/leaking capacitor, diode, fuse, etc...you will smell it.

There is always a slight electrical smell in a power supply but a bad one has a distinct odor.

And unless you have the same motherboard (version/series/model) in your daughters pc, your wifes hard drive won't boot properly when you put it in the other system...not with Windows XP anyway.

My daughter pc as 2 hard disks, 1 marked as C where windows is installed and the another marked F where she has all her music and other things.
Do you think i can switch hard disk F with the one of my wife?

Thank for your reply

xxIENAxx
367th "Dynamite Gang"

Offline Ghastly

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2009, 01:15:21 PM »
My daughter pc as 2 hard disks, 1 marked as C where windows is installed and the another marked F ...

Possibly. 

However, a 6 or 7 year old desktop is going to most likely be IDE, and will need to be jumpered correctly to replace the existing drive, which would also need to be IDE. 

Before you do that, however, what happens if you go into BIOS?  Does it also blank out and restart?
"Curse your sudden (but inevitable!) betrayal!"
Grue

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2009, 01:27:59 PM »
You can put whatever hard drive you want into a system as long as you have the correct connection types. The question is what are you wanting to do?

If you are going to try and put your wife's C: drive into your daughters case and boot to it...with Windows XP it won't work unless the motherboards are the same.

If you are wanting to put the either of the hard drives from your wife's computer into your daughters computer so she has access to files on it...that will work.

Any way of changing the power supply before you go through all that?
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline minke

• Nickel Member
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2009, 02:25:48 PM »
If you hit delete during boot up and can stay in the bios for a few minutes i'd guess your hard drive is busted. Espescially if you are hearing clicks and stuff. If its an ide drive,you should be able to hook it up to another pc. If so,then transfer all your important files to the good drive and go shopping.  :aok

Offline xxIENAxx

• Copper Member
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2009, 02:43:23 PM »
Hi guys, first of all i want to thank all of you for the replys and suggestions.

I moved my wife's hard disk into my daughter's pc, (after i found out what MASTER/SLAVE ment and how to do it), and now she can see all her pictures/documents.So this problem is solved. Thank you again guys.

xxIENAxx
367th "Dynamite Gang"

Offline kilz

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2009, 12:24:07 AM »
Hi guys, first of all i want to thank all of you for the replys and suggestions.

I moved my wife's hard disk into my daughter's pc, (after i found out what MASTER/SLAVE ment and how to do it), and now she can see all her pictures/documents.So this problem is solved. Thank you again guys.

xxIENAxx

the problem is not solved lets fix that other tower
Former LTARkilz

R.I.P 68KO, TailSpin, Maj1Shot, Prop31st, SWfire, rodders, Vega, easy8, 11Bravo, AWMac, GMC31st, Stoliman, WWhiskey

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2009, 09:31:10 AM »
back up your pictures to photobucket or create cd's just in case it happens to the new computer.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.