Author Topic: A little help with the Ki84  (Read 628 times)

Offline Rider

• Zinc Member
A little help with the Ki84
« on: September 07, 2009, 01:05:24 PM »
I'm not asking anything in particular, I would just like to read what a few of the vets have to say about flying the Ki84 and their list of do's and don't's.

I know the Ki84 is great at alot of things but not really the best at anything but what would you say are it's strongest strong points?

With e being equal I know I shouldn't be turn fighting a zero...but I do.  The way I see it, the Ki can hold it's own for a bit.  Long enough in most cases for the zero pilot to make the first mistake.  If I realize I'm up against a pilot that knows his zero as well as I know the Ki then I can usually break it off and extend.

If I'm up against a pony I fly mostly defensively.  If it's a decent pony stick I know I'm not going to be able to dictate the fite.  My favorite technique agianst a pony... dive down, accellerate to about 450 and proceed to throw my rudder and elevators at him.  It hasn't worked yet but someday one well placed elevator to his canopy and he's mine.  I'm kidding ofcourse but this accentuates the point that I'm not going to be running from say a pony or 190.  My good fites with ponies are usually very long and won thru attrition.

The planes that cause me the most problems are the spit, 109, and the Brewster.  If I match up with a spit or a Brewster I usually know pretty quickly if I'm up against a good stick or not.  Most don't cause me problems but if I'm up against a good stick I'm in trouble and I start flying defensively and start looking for a way out.  109s, there's just so many good 109 sticks out there.  I would say (correct me if you disagree) that the 109 and the Ki are very evenly matched with a slight edge to the 109 in most categories.  Oh, i forgot to mention the Ki84.  If I find myself against anothe Ki I know it's going to be a tuff fite as the only people that fly the Ki know the Ki.  And I don't really consider myself a good stick, only slitghtly better than average.

Anyway, I would love to hear how you guys fly the Ki84 and how you use it's strenghts against the different aircraft you encounter.

Thanks in advance.

SKRider

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
Re: A little help with the Ki84
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2009, 05:08:11 PM »
If it's a spit16, most likely it's a new guy and he'll stay at full throttle the entire time, take that into consideration...spit8, 9, might know some throttle work.

Brewster...well I haven't really found out it's weaknesses yet...I guess the only thing is speed...stay fast I suppose. I fly the 61 over the 84 so I'm just speaking from that pov. The Ki can hold E decently well in the vert.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2009, 05:31:45 PM »
An idea may be to post a film or two for review.  Generally, I see errors in tactics making a larger difference than actual plane choice.
MtnMan

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not". Thomas Jefferson

Offline comet61

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2009, 05:38:11 PM »
I fly the Ki-84 a lot. I have learned quite a bit of it's quirks and perks. If flown well, it can be a pain in the backsides of many good sticks. Granted, a turn fight in a Ki-84 (Frank) with a Zeke or Spitty is not recommended, but can be done for a short period of time. You can actually get it down to about 80 before it stalls with flaps out. It climbs well and accelerates decently. One of the 'tricks' I use is when I am in a turn I turn off my combat trim...this adds a little more without stalling. Make sure you have the stall limiter off. Another thing is with the Ki-84 is the use of throttle and rudder. Like a car, it is best to decelerate into the bank and accelerate out of it. Someone said it likes to get "sucked" into a turn and pulled out of it. I have found this to be true. Use the rudder and ailerons in dives to keep speed down so you don't auger. The Ki-84 does real well with spiral climbs and descents. I set my convergence on the machine guns to 650 and the cannon between 275-350. Ballistics on these guns are not the greatest, so might want to practice offline some.

As for fuel load....less is more. The Ki-84 has a good range with fuel. In close combat situations I will go 50% fuel with drops or if I need to go a ways I will go 3/4% fuel and no drops. On occasion i will go 100%....burn the wing tanks first. I have also found that when fighting a Brewster or I-16 or even a Zero...I will extend out  and get altitude, then some speed. The Ki-84 is quite maneuverable with the use of proper throttle and rudder. I am by no means a great Ki-84 stick, but I am used to it and it is a fun plane to fly.
Comet61

666th Barbarians FG

Offline Eagleclaw

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2009, 09:11:55 PM »
84 is a compromise of speed, turning ability and durability. Although durability gets the low end of the deal. The pony and jug aren't the only planes with flaps, use them. Don't fire off a continuous stream of bullets, use bursts.

I love the ki-84 when I am 1v1 because it can take a few... a few bullets, can out turn some planes and with flaps and E is very formidable, diving and immelmans are my favorite moves in the Ki-84. Although, i never use the 84 for a dogfight, that is a job for a zeke or a spit or other turn fighter.

Go into the DA to get a feel for the plane and get a few easy kills, then move up to 1v1, and then into the arena 1v1s and finally furballs. There are usually a lot of targets around the CV versus base battles. Good luck
The day no hoes would fly......