Author Topic: Lend a hand  (Read 2379 times)

Offline shreck

• Silver Member
Re: Lend a hand
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2009, 06:27:57 PM »
None of my posts refer to k/d specifically, and Lusche himself also says that it's not a measure of skill.  It does show the distributions of kills (which you'd mostly get from having more skill), to deaths (which you definitely can best avoid thanks to skill).  Maybe Lusche had also recorded (not gonna ask him for extra chores :P) other stats like k/t and hit%..  I don't know what other record there could be to back you or I up. What do you remember that hinted at a different distribution?

Probably just your call on luche and the info he posted! it just seemed to be going that direction  :aok

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2009, 06:29:23 PM »
K/D is a very poor measure of a cartoon pilots skill level

For measuring individual skill: Yes. I already said that.

But it does tell a lot about the overall distribution of kills by (from? of? grammar anyone?) several thousand players. You can see it's always a very small minority of player killing everybody else. And that distribution, that pyramid, the gap between those "on top" and those at the bottom didn't change very much.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2009, 06:33:59 PM »
Probably just your call on luche and the info he posted! it just seemed to be going that direction  :aok
K/D isn't a poor measure of pilot skill.  You can't reliably kill while not getting killed without being skilled.  So the only reason k/d would be a poor gauge of overall skill in the MA would be false positives and false negatives.. You'd have to have few false negatives (skilled players with rubbish k/d - how?) and many false positives (how would they amount to a significant quantity (outnumber true positives)?)... to the point of turning that negative exponential curve into at least a slightly positive linear curve.

Grammar - From would mean the thousand players are distributing the kills.. By would mean about the same thing, or "by" as in divided by..  Of or for (or in) would probably be correct.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 06:36:23 PM by moot »
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2009, 06:40:13 PM »
How about a skilled pilot who likes to be in the furball... your going to get killed more often just by sheer numbers involved. If you kill more than your killed that is great. Your just not going to have a huge k/d though.

If one decided to increase that he could just be a little more timid and not get to see as much action and surely not as many fights.... good or bad. That does not make him a more skilled pilot nor will it increase his skill.

Just my thoughts!
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2009, 06:49:29 PM »
The unskilled timid player gets killed about as much as the skilled balls-out player, while not really getting that far ahead of the balls-out player in kills, in my experience.  If they do, their k/t drops and kills total should also drop, but I don't think you could feasibly sample and cross-reference that.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 06:51:31 PM by moot »
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline crazyivan

• Gold Member
« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2009, 06:55:20 PM »
Last night a friend and I helped improve my game a little more.  I took film and had a discussion.  I respect this man for his teaching.  And yes, I am always looking for ways to improve.

This is for all you top of the pyramid guys:  As I have, lets bring some of these 'n00bs' along and spend a little time in the TA or DA and show them a few things.  There are some that complain that this game has gone down hill because of falling skill.  Let's be proactive and help them along so we can enjoy the higher level together.

After you shoot them down, PM them with helpful hints and offer a helping hand.  Make a new friends because we are a community.

That is all.  :salute
Thought this was one thing that came with being a CO of an AH squad?
POTW
"Atleast I have chicken!"- Leroy Jenkins

Offline Big Rat

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2009, 08:29:23 PM »
It's the rare noob that actually asks for help, beyond "how do I fly?".  I'm in the TA daily so I know.  It's normally the ones that have a little time in that hit a wall in their improvement that ask for help.  Or the vets that want to learn a new aircraft or tactic.  Or like me that are trying to improve upon a given aircraft. 

:salute
BigRat
When you think the fight might be going bad, it already has.
Becoming one with the Hog, is to become one with Greatness, VF-17 XO & training officer BigRat

Offline CountD90

• Nickel Member
« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2009, 11:55:31 PM »
         The last time I read a post about how someone helped out a new guy and he thought it made his time playing the game better, I thought why don't I try it out with the next person who HOs me. Well sure enough finding a HOer is not very hard, and I found one very quickly.

First merge he HOed, same with 2nd and 3rd. After the 3rd one i was able to rope him and knocked him out. I PM'd he explaining that the HO wasn't the only move and he DID have other choices since I was flying very sloppy. His reply was "STFU you noob I've been playing this game for 4 months I think I know what I'm doing...."

I said ok and ended up shooting him down another 5-6 times in that furball, I got a nasty remark every time my name popped up in his text buffer. Because of that I only help if someone asks a question other than how do I fly and the such.
GameID:Count
The Misfit Toys
Quote from: Wreked
If you are feeling a little useless, offended, or depressed, just remember that you were once the fastest and most victorious little sperm out of millions.

Offline SEraider

• Silver Member
« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2009, 01:01:08 AM »
Thought this was one thing that came with being a CO of an AH squad?

Although not part of the job description, I am referring more towards people outside the squad and even reaching across to other country's.  To clarify. :aok
* I am the embodiment of Rule #14
* History is only recent.
* Stick and Stones won't break my bones, but names could "hurt" me.

CO Screaming Eagles

Offline Stang

• Platinum Member
« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2009, 01:19:52 AM »
I don't think much has changed in the percentage of good sticks vs bad sticks. The pyramid still looks the same, it's just a much bigger pyramid due to a much larger player base and a constant influx of new players combined with the burnout rate of older players.

It's harder for the "elite" to dominate just because of the pure numbers of people online. When there were 100 players total in the arena, you knew who everyone was and there wasn't a sufficient enough gang to counterbalance certain players abilities. Now at peak times that isn't the case.

However, in the mid or early war maps, or in the lw in off times, those certain players can and do dominate the newer or less skilled player quite easily. 

Offline gpwurzel

• Gold Member
« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2009, 08:50:57 AM »
Tried this last night, got someone else jumping in, thought "sod it" and went to bed. Conversely, had other nights where I've tried to help out other players, and had a positive response.

Wurzel
I'm the worst pilot ingame ya know!!!

It's all unrealistic crap requested by people who want pie in the sky actions performed without an understanding of how things work and who can't grasp reality.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2009, 08:59:20 AM »
It's the rare noob that actually asks for help, beyond "how do I fly?".  I'm in the TA daily so I know.  It's normally the ones that have a little time in that hit a wall in their improvement that ask for help.  Or the vets that want to learn a new aircraft or tactic.  Or like me that are trying to improve upon a given aircraft. 

:salute
BigRat

i think a "wall" is about the only thing i DON'T hit.

i hit the trees, the ground, the water, other planes, buildings, but no walls.  :D :aok
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline SEraider

• Silver Member
« Reply #42 on: September 10, 2009, 10:45:51 AM »

i think a "wall" is about the only thing i DON'T hit.

i hit the trees, the ground, the water, other planes, buildings, but no walls.  :D :aok

Liar, I saw you hit a bridge once......... :D  :salute
* I am the embodiment of Rule #14
* History is only recent.
* Stick and Stones won't break my bones, but names could "hurt" me.

CO Screaming Eagles

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #43 on: September 10, 2009, 11:10:45 AM »

Liar, I saw you hit a bridge once......... :D  :salute

Which reminds me... DO NOT TRY TO FLY UNDER A BRIDGE.... it no worky  :P
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline gpwurzel

• Gold Member
« Reply #44 on: September 10, 2009, 11:32:44 AM »
Especially in a 262 - as Kazaa found out (sorry Kaz, but I just had to)

;)

Wurzel
I'm the worst pilot ingame ya know!!!

It's all unrealistic crap requested by people who want pie in the sky actions performed without an understanding of how things work and who can't grasp reality.