Author Topic: Zone system.  (Read 18875 times)

Offline rough_wood

• Zinc Member
Re: Zone system.
« Reply #150 on: September 14, 2009, 12:04:16 AM »
I also think it will add a new dynamic, where you can capture base after base, but you slowly run out of steam. You will need to take some factories to help your push. Make Ords harder to get, sort of like on occasion you can't take drop tanks, make it so when your factories can only support 75% (or whatever amount) of your bases needs 1000lb bombs are unavailable.

By that I mean you don't even have to lose, or have your factories damaged. Taking bases too quickly spreads the ords too thin and 1000lb are unavailable. This will make it harder for countries to pork bases completely or take down a VH with one Jabo.

Once you are spread too thin you must capture factories.

Capturing too many factories, and not enough bases around them, simply means the original owners of those factories will take them back easily since they have a nearby uncapturable (maybe unporkable) base. Your defenses at that base build slowly since the ack must be rebuilt, you are far away, they will take it back soon and with ease.

Once they take it back, since it is so close to home, ack is immediately up (as it is for airfields) and it becomes a tedious thing taking it back again, maybe requiring a 25 man organized mission to succesfully steal the base. Given the amount of ack and number of troops that must take.

Your factories will never be completely behind enemy lines since you always have a stronghold in your uncapturable base. This will take care of "milk runs".

Moot is right how this isn't a large complex system I am offering up. These are mere ideas which can be mixed with others. This isn't a complex balancing system either. Make it possible to capture yet always in the favor of the original owner, both before and after a capture. I think this will always naturally right itself, since taking factories does not create a steamroller, and by not taking them but instead focusing on base capture you lose attack force.

It will balance itself.

Offline detch01

• Silver Member
« Reply #151 on: September 14, 2009, 12:47:48 AM »
Great idea HT :aok
I'd like to see the old strat system in place again, but I think HQ and dar kill should be left as it is - strat targets with real (but not severe) consequences will add to the game while hours of dar outtage tends to see people logging off. I'd also like to see the old depots put back in the game for more local affects.

Cheers,
asw
asw
Latrine Attendant, 1st class
semper in excretio, solum profundum variat

Offline phatzo

• Gold Member
      • No Crying
« Reply #152 on: September 14, 2009, 02:00:09 AM »
Not familiar with the old system but the current one doesn't do much for me. A change is as good as a holiday so lets see what happens.
No thank you Turkish, I'm sweet enough.

Offline ghi

• Gold Member
« Reply #153 on: September 14, 2009, 09:10:58 AM »
Before, when i used to log in and was a new map my Q was: Who won last map?
 It's like many  peoples reading the sport news every day, watching their favorite team results. I like furballing  but it's boring without some strategy involved, i can't play for score, we can't all 1000s of players become fighter aces, i can't play just to improve fighter skills like many are suggesting here. How can you promote  fights/furballs  without attacking enemy bases? Why would i attack enemy bases without capture intentions? Why should i have intentions to capture it ,if the maps have 200+ bases and it's almost impossible with present MA set up, needs 40% of both teams. Map reset more often would make the game more dynamic, more hot fights and suspense situations to win or avoid lossing,and less complains about boring maps stalled for weeks.Why should i waste 1 hour to bomb HQ ,City, factories if doesn't get involved in nothing,and gets resuped in 2 min. There's nothing left to fight for, unless you want to have your name on front page.
 I wish the map reset % would  drop to 15-20% and have HQ damaged/destroyed involved in map reset,:bring back the old 4 steps damage set up for HQ, longer downtime to encourage players use long range bombers/missions and use the bombers for their strategic role. What for are all this long range bomber with formation option? bomb CV/gvs?  Remember those huge HQ raids having 2 teams involved in a big fight, ... that's what makes memories, but unfortunately with this MA set up, they don't happen anymore.
 This game is a great invention, has a huge potential , but after the changes in last years, the game is like my toolsheder brain: it's using only small % of its capacity......... to offer entertainment for all the consumers, all style of players; the toolsheders lost the war.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 09:41:51 AM by ghi »

Offline Swatch

• Copper Member
      • http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/rtcircus
« Reply #154 on: September 14, 2009, 06:02:56 PM »
Why should i have intentions to capture it ,if the maps have 200+ bases and it's almost impossible with present MA set up, needs 40% of both teams. Map reset more often would make the game more dynamic, more hot fights and suspense situations to win or avoid lossing,and less complains about boring maps stalled for weeks.
:aok

Why should i waste 1 hour to bomb HQ ,City, factories if doesn't get involved in nothing,and gets resuped in 2 min. There's nothing left to fight for, unless you want to have your name on front page.
:aok :aok
bring back the old 4 steps damage set up for HQ, longer downtime to encourage players use long range bombers/missions and use the bombers for their strategic role. What for are all this long range bomber with formation option? bomb CV/gvs?  
sounds great!

Remember those huge HQ raids having 2 teams involved in a big fight, ... that's what makes memories, but unfortunately with this MA set up, they don't happen anymore.

I couldn't agree more!  I loved those when I first started playing in 2005.  Those were truly amazing missions! I miss them...   :cry
OFFICIALLY AN AEROSPACE ENGINEER AS OF 1PM JUNE 13th!  Goodbye UC, you've been hell.

Proud member of the 364th CHawks, 383rd BG, formerly the RTC.

Offline Dantoo

• Silver Member
      • http://www.9giap.com
« Reply #155 on: September 15, 2009, 03:35:24 AM »
Ghi said everything I've wanted to say for 2 years.
I get really really tired of selective realism disguised as a desire to make bombers easier to kill.

HiTech

Matthew 24:28 For wherever the carcass is, there is where the vultures gather together.

Offline thndregg

• Platinum Member
« Reply #156 on: September 15, 2009, 07:57:08 AM »
Before, when i used to log in and was a new map my Q was: Who won last map?
 It's like many  peoples reading the sport news every day, watching their favorite team results. I like furballing  but it's boring without some strategy involved, i can't play for score, we can't all 1000s of players become fighter aces, i can't play just to improve fighter skills like many are suggesting here. How can you promote  fights/furballs  without attacking enemy bases? Why would i attack enemy bases without capture intentions? Why should i have intentions to capture it ,if the maps have 200+ bases and it's almost impossible with present MA set up, needs 40% of both teams. Map reset more often would make the game more dynamic, more hot fights and suspense situations to win or avoid lossing,and less complains about boring maps stalled for weeks.Why should i waste 1 hour to bomb HQ ,City, factories if doesn't get involved in nothing,and gets resuped in 2 min. There's nothing left to fight for, unless you want to have your name on front page.
 I wish the map reset % would  drop to 15-20% and have HQ damaged/destroyed involved in map reset,:bring back the old 4 steps damage set up for HQ, longer downtime to encourage players use long range bombers/missions and use the bombers for their strategic role. What for are all this long range bomber with formation option? bomb CV/gvs?  Remember those huge HQ raids having 2 teams involved in a big fight, ... that's what makes memories, but unfortunately with this MA set up, they don't happen anymore.
 This game is a great invention, has a huge potential , but after the changes in last years, the game is like my toolsheder brain: it's using only small % of its capacity......... to offer entertainment for all the consumers, all style of players; the toolsheders lost the war.

I generally agree. I would like more of a purpose, reward, and fight to ensue behind going deep after core resources. I would like to see core resources actually valuable enough that it promotes fights in defending against attackers going after them. Too many do not, or choose not to understand the current system, right down to the basic understanding of what a barracks represents at a base.
Former C.O. 91st Bombardment Group (Heavy)
"The Ragged Irregulars"

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #157 on: September 15, 2009, 08:53:42 AM »
Just a bit of brainstorming...

One problem is to balance the importance of strat targets right. Making them too important can easily affect gameplay in a negative way, particularly when one side is already beaten to the ground (=few fields, low numbers). When not important enough, nobody really will care to attack them, unless the bases around them are overrun and it's safe to do a few milkruns.

One idea I do have now (and it's still a rather vague one), is to have the effect destroyed strats target do have on a country being tied to the numbers of fields this country has.
Example: Country starts with 60 bases (=100%) on a large map. Strat Effect Modifier = 1.0. When this country is beaten down to 30 bases (=50%), Strat Effect Modifier =0.5). At 120 bases, Strat Effect Modifier = 2.0.
In other words: When a country is very successful, it's strat targets are much more vulnerable but usually far more away from the enemy at the same time. On the other hand the country being reduced to only 4-5 bases hasn't to worry that much about the strat targets anymore.

There is even some kind of "historical" explanation to this gameplay modification: Your resources are very strained if you have conquered so much territory & bases. Also a country like Germany was very ingenious in decentralizing production in the last months of the war, when the country was being overrun and the major factories were bombed to smithereens.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Hap

• Gold Member
« Reply #158 on: September 15, 2009, 09:00:47 AM »

I generally agree. I would like more of a purpose, reward, and fight to ensue behind going deep after core resources. I would like to see core resources actually valuable enough that it promotes fights in defending against attackers going after them. Too many do not, or choose not to understand the current system, right down to the basic understanding of what a barracks represents at a base.

Same here  :)

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
« Reply #159 on: September 15, 2009, 09:27:51 AM »
I just got de ja vue......

One problem is to balance the importance of strat targets right. Making them too important can easily affect gameplay in a negative way, particularly when one side is already beaten to the ground (=few fields, low numbers). When not important enough, nobody really will care to attack them, unless the bases around them are overrun and it's safe to do a few milkruns.

But will we also add the math for resupplying a smaller stock of fields?

As a country losses more and more bases, will it take a shorter time for the kept bases to be resupplied........  More resources for fewer bases..........

The large country now has so many bases to resupply that it may take an 1.4 hours for the dar to pop instead of 45 min.

One idea I do have now (and it's still a rather vague one), is to have the effect destroyed strats target do have on a country being tied to the numbers of fields this country has.
Example: Country starts with 60 bases (=100%) on a large map. Strat Effect Modifier = 1.0. When this country is beaten down to 30 bases (=50%), Strat Effect Modifier =0.5). At 120 bases, Strat Effect Modifier = 2.0.
In other words: When a country is very successful, it's strat targets are much more vulnerable but usually far more away from the enemy at the same time. On the other hand the country being reduced to only 4-5 bases hasn't to worry that much about the strat targets anymore.

There is even some kind of "historical" explanation to this gameplay modification: Your resources are very strained if you have conquered so much territory & bases. Also a country like Germany was very ingenious in decentralizing production in the last months of the war, when the country was being overrun and the major factories were bombed to smithereens.
See Rule #4
Now I only pay because of my friends.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #160 on: September 15, 2009, 09:29:40 AM »
Yes, it's quite similar  :lol  :o

Though I didn't have had any time modifiers in mind.

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
« Reply #161 on: September 15, 2009, 09:32:32 AM »
You however, are far more articulate sir.

<SALUTE> 

(Plus people listen to you.)    :D
See Rule #4
Now I only pay because of my friends.

Offline rough_wood

• Zinc Member
« Reply #162 on: September 15, 2009, 10:12:55 AM »

I couldn't make sense of that.

By Effect Modifier are you saying the buildings are more easily damaged? And is it some sort of inverse proportion?

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #163 on: September 15, 2009, 10:22:08 AM »
I couldn't make sense of that.

By Effect Modifier are you saying the buildings are more easily damaged? And is it some sort of inverse proportion?

I didn't specify any particular effect, but it is indeed inverse proportional: A successful country that has captured many bases will get hurt much more when it's strategic targets are being destroyed.
A country that has been reduced to a handful bases will suffer much less from having it's factories bombed

Offline ToeTag

• Silver Member
« Reply #164 on: September 15, 2009, 10:40:43 AM »
Swatch has a similar line of thought to what I was thinking.  

Change strats to reflect...
Tanks
Bombers
Fighters / Attack planes

Leave radar, ord and fuel alone as it can be detroyed at the individual fields.

Keep the HQ as it is.

Add more of the three strats across the map for each country.  Each of the three strats correlate to a series of fields.  (kinda like the zone system just not capturable)

Here's the kicker......Strats are not shown by an Icon that the opposing countries can see.  Nor can they see the spawn points from the surrounding bases untill it is captured.  They must be identified visually (like a cv)

Have more towns and cities strewn across the map. To confuse incoming bombers.  However they are still bombable.

Penalties :furious

If the factory is hit and reduced in incrimental percentages ( I suggest they are large targets) then it effects the amount of uppers that can spawn at the corresponding bases spawn points and also at the base itself (code a counter for the spawns). \\\supply vehicles / planes not effected///
Factories are able to be resupplied by any of the effected bases.  It should take a considerable amount of field supplies to get the factory to 100% again

i.e. if there are 100 rooks on and the strat is knocked down to zero % then limit it to 50 spawns (plane or gv) .
\\\supply vehicles / planes not effected///

If strats only affect a small goup of fields then it will limit the steamroller effect.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 12:10:10 PM by ToeTag »
They call it "common sense", then why is it so uncommon?