Author Topic: "Depth Under Keel"  (Read 522 times)

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
"Depth Under Keel"
« on: September 10, 2009, 11:21:10 PM »
Now that the terrain editor can create "shallows", how about restricting Task Groups to Deep Ocean (solid black in the Terrain Editor) ONLY. If someone tries to set a waypoint that passes through any other water depth an error "Waypoint crosses shallows" or "Depth under keel insufficient" flashes on the screen.

Mapmakers could then use shallows to prevent carriers from getting too close to airfields.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline EskimoJoe

• Platinum Member
Re: "Depth Under Keel"
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2009, 02:16:23 AM »
I'm no map-maker, but the idea of carriers not being able to get too close to fields sounds excellent  :aok
Put a +1 on your geekness atribute  :aok

Offline Stalwart

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2009, 03:41:30 AM »
+1

Offline zmeg

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2009, 07:49:25 AM »

Already in the editer if the underlying texture is anything other than "deep ocean" waypoints can't come any closer than 2 miles of them. In the game however, at least in offline mode, they can still come right up to the beach. Maybe just a minor oversigtht.

Offline Strip

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2009, 08:08:51 AM »
I envision some very large sandbars in the near future.....

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2009, 08:16:00 AM »
To go hand in hand with this wish ...

I would like see the waypoint course (when viewed on the clipboard) changed from red to black. Then, when setting a course way-point, have the green waypoint turn to red if that way-point crosses into an area that the ship can't sail ... instead of setting way-points and hitting OK and then getting the message that the way-point(s) are to close.

Sometimes, depending upon the chosen course, you can't tell which one of the way-points is bad ... frustrating at times.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2009, 09:44:24 AM »
+1 To Saxman's idea, and +1 to Slapshot's add-on idea.
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2009, 11:43:33 AM »
Ok, I'm on vacation and can't run the game to refresh my memory...

Does the clipboard map only show one color for "ocean"?  If so, what about having an enhanced map while you have the Task Group screen open, to show you the water depths based on the ocean tiles used in the terrain?  Then you could see the channels and plan your course before you even lay your first waypoint.  That added to the other two suggestions would be yet another piece of "coolness" in an already fabulous game.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2009, 12:54:34 PM »
Dot,

The clipboard map is just a BMP file created by the mapmaker. Nothing more special than that about it. It's easy enough to make it a depth chart as well, just like it's completely possible to show elevation on it (I think there's one or two terrains that have elevation marked). It's entirely up to the guy making the terrain what he wants to do with the map.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline 1Boner

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2009, 06:41:26 PM »
Can I vote twice for this Idea?? :D
"Life is just as deadly as it looks"  Richard Thompson

"So umm.... just to make sure I have this right.  What you are asking is for the bombers carrying bombs, to stop dropping bombs on the bombs, so the bombers can carry bombs to bomb things with?"  AKP

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2009, 05:53:21 AM »
I've seen it once were if you spawned anywhere on the field, cv ack shot you up big time. I've heard (and seen screen shots) where the cv was 3-4 miles inland too!  :O :lol

Really shouldn't be able to bring a CV as close as we can to the shore.