Author Topic: collisions and ho-ing revisited  (Read 1610 times)

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
Re: collisions and ho-ing revisited
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2009, 01:33:01 PM »
In that case you would have to treat any green con in the are as an an enemy.

Ever heard about griefing? You don't like me for any reason? Wait until I'm on my landing approach in my 262, bringing home 10 scalps... then "ram" me.
Friendly cons warping around... noobs in their first day of flying colliding with you...

It's just not possible in the MA's.

yep....and understood. but that would simply be logged as a report........possibly an automated report......you collide with me once....ok.....maybe an accident.........you collide with me a second time........ejected.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2009, 01:54:47 PM »
WELL......

remember one thing about turning off the ability to ho........they did that in AW3. look where they are now.

as bad as i suck at avoiding them, and as much as i hate them........and as much as i hate doing them...and i have when i get ho'd first........i don't think they should change anything. it works as it is.

Actually, in all the versions of AW I played there were no head on shots.  Well not exactly, since you could still score head on hits but the probability was very low to the point that it was not a viable tactic if you were in a plane without nose mounted guns.  In AW planes with nose mounted guns got a slight bonus modifier to the head on shot probability, these were the planes you would regularly see flying straight at you with guns blazing.  Having no collisions either made it easier for these planes to do it as well.  

Unless you modify individual player behavior, you'll never get rid of head on shots.  You can even code it in the system like AW did and you'll still see players trying to HO, regardless if the system will score or recognize a head on shot.  It's the nature of the human beast and for that reason, head ons will never be eliminated from the game.  For most, its the path of least resistance and gives them a chance for a kill without any real investment in skill and training.

ack-ack
« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 02:10:29 PM by Ack-Ack »
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2009, 01:55:37 PM »
WELL......

remember one thing about turning off the ability to ho........they did that in AW3. look where they are now.

So, EA bought Kesamai, plundered the company and killed AW3 due to the fact that you couldn't HO?  That's quite a stretch.

:lol

I have no problem with the collision model nor HO's.  I try avoiding HO's because I lose most of the times I try.

The objection most seem to have with collisions is they die due to them while the other guy flies off unscathed.  I'm willing to bet that most of those deaths can be attributed to getting shot as each plane bores in on each other nose to nose than the actual collision itself.

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2009, 02:16:11 PM »
So, EA bought Kesamai, plundered the company and killed AW3 due to the fact that you couldn't HO?  That's quite a stretch.

:lol

I have no problem with the collision model nor HO's.  I try avoiding HO's because I lose most of the times I try.

The objection most seem to have with collisions is they die due to them while the other guy flies off unscathed.  I'm willing to bet that most of those deaths can be attributed to getting shot as each plane bores in on each other nose to nose than the actual collision itself.

wrongway

no, i don't think that soley did it. but it(in  the long run) was a poor decision on their part i think.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline AirFlyer

• Silver Member
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2009, 02:43:10 PM »
Not me.

Ditto, works great how it is.
Tours: Airflyer to 69 - 77 | Dustin57 92 - 100 | Spinnich 100 - ?
"You'll always get exactly what you deserve." Neil

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2009, 02:45:36 PM »
I hate when someone HOs me. But when I think about it, 95% of the time I can duck it and kill them.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2009, 03:10:06 PM »
"See gramps! When you angle off with your nose any moron, even you you Depends wearing, cantankerous old coot,
  can avoid a collision and head on!"

Offline Crash Orange

• Silver Member
« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2009, 06:55:15 PM »
No collisions are unfair
All mid-air collisions can be avoided
Every collision is the result of one's own doing

Not in buffs. But I don't think I've ever "lost" a collision being rear-ended by a careless fighter.

The one thing I'd change is the way kills are scored. I think it's a little silly that one guy can ram a second guy, the second guy's plane blows up, the first guy loses a whole wing and takes 10 seconds to flutter to the ground, and the first guy gets credit for a kill. Assuming they were both killed by the collision and not by gunfire immediately beforehand, either both players should get a kill or neither should.

I would never want to see collisions turned off. People fly unrealistically recklessly as it is.

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2009, 06:59:47 PM »
Collisions and HO shots happen. Just yesterday I had both happen at once! I was coming in one a spitfire, he saw me and started turning, and I miss judjed how quickly he could get around. We both shot but I got his tail, and as I went to fly past for another kill his plane nosed up into me taking my wing off! Never seen a collision like it before, it was beautiful.  :lol

If you get killed in a HO shot, it was just your fault. Not the other person for being "dweeby no skilled Hoer". You knew the riske of a HO, and you took it. HO shots are actually pretty easy to dodge too (not sure why everyone whines about them), at 1000 distance, just turn in any direction and you will dodge the other planes shots almost all the time.

I for one, would like to see collision redone though. If a collision is detected, both planes should go down, not just 1 while the other flies away with no damage.
I love watching guys spray helplessly as I act like I'm going to HO, then nose down at 1K or so. They nose down and red out while spraying! I also do that cause they fly right into my 234's guns.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline shppr01

• AvA Staff Member
  • Gold Member
« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2009, 07:08:57 PM »

I for one, would like to see collision redone though. If a collision is detected, both planes should go down, not just 1 while the other flies away with no damage.
[/quote]

YES +1
Ingame : Shipper

Never put your gun down to hug a grizzly.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2009, 07:17:51 PM »

YES +1

I think it's time Lusche posts or links to his post on how the collision model works. 

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 16, 2009, 07:25:22 PM »
I think it's time Lusche posts or links to his post on how the collision model works.  

ack-ack

As you wish, M'lord

YES +1

Lookt at this: It's the exact moment of a collision, from both players viewpoints (films)

On the P-51's screen it looks like this:

On the P-47 screen, it looks like this:

You are the P-47...you see the things on screenshot #2.... would you still say YOU should go down?
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Sc00ter

• Zinc Member
« Reply #42 on: September 16, 2009, 08:01:35 PM »
I wonder how many players are satisfied with the collisions and all of the ho-ing that is prevalent in the game as it now stands?From a realistic standpoint I guess collisions occurred,and Ho's were taken,but I think most players would like to see both collisions and ho-ing go.Take away ho-ing and perhaps one could get into some nice fights,and if they could'nt ram you,geez how nice that would be.I came to AH from a Air Warrior background,and I enjoyed that game a lot,and collisions were turned off,and to take a ho shot and get positive results was highly unlikely.If my memory serves me,the p38 and the Skeeter were about the only planes that you might connect with.The A'z had a guy that was pretty good in a P38,that could hit you pretty regular with a ho shot.While I'm reminiscing about Air Warrior,I wonder how well the over-rev would work in AH?OK,with a show of hands,how many would like to see the ho-ing and collisions go!
IronDog

Collisions can be fixed HOing never will stop. FYI--if you see the prop, that's the front of the plane. TURN!
No Fat Chicks on this Sc00ter

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 16, 2009, 08:02:48 PM »

Collisions can be fixed

I'm curious: How?
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata