Author Topic: Can someone give me some corsair training?  (Read 1248 times)

Offline PewterC5

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
Can someone give me some corsair training?
« on: September 16, 2009, 01:25:21 PM »
I have come to love the corsair in this game and would love some training to be more lethal in it. I fly the 1a the most followed by the 1c and the -4. I know a few members of my squad would also like training in the f4u series as well. Any help is greatly appreciated.  :pray :salute

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
Re: Can someone give me some corsair training?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2009, 04:51:58 PM »
I'm probably going to be pretty scarce in the arenas until I can scrape up a new joystick (a week or two, probably), but if you're still looking for help at that point I'd be glad to help you...
MtnMan

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not". Thomas Jefferson

Offline PewterC5

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2009, 05:14:37 PM »
That would be great. Just let me know when you are available.  :salute

Offline Big Rat

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2009, 05:50:58 PM »
PewterC5,

I'm normally in the TA's around 9:00 central time if you'd like.  I'm booked on Tuesday nights currently with another student but available all except Friday night (FSO) for the rest of the week.  I'd be glad to try and help you out until mtnman gets back, just PM me if your interested with a day that works with you. 

:salute
BigRat 
When you think the fight might be going bad, it already has.
Becoming one with the Hog, is to become one with Greatness, VF-17 XO & training officer BigRat

Offline PewterC5

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2009, 06:23:39 PM »
Thanks Big Rat. I will definitely look you up. I am on the east coast so I will probably need to catch you on a Saturday night for a long training session or during the week for shorter lessons. I will try to catch you tomorrow (Thursday) night if you are available and pending wife ack (it gets pretty heavy at times :eek:).  :salute

Offline Big Rat

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2009, 11:01:05 PM »
I should be there, I'll try to be a little early to help you out if I can.

BigRat
Becoming one with the Hog, is to become one with Greatness, VF-17 XO & training officer BigRat

Offline PewterC5

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2009, 10:19:48 PM »
Thanks a lot for your help tonight BR. I definitely learned a thing or two and know what to work on. Gonna map my controller keys first and foremost. Thank you for taking the time to help. I look forward to the next time.  :salute

Offline Big Rat

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2009, 08:27:58 AM »
No problem PewterC5,

Just keep working on the defensive moves and you'll be fine.  You already got the offence down pretty good, actually very good :aok.  After the first couple of merges with me, you got real tough to get guns on.  Get those keys mapped and catch me again.  I think you have the raw talent for that plane to become great in it.

BigRat

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2009, 12:15:57 AM »
The F4U is a beautiful plane. She's not as easy to pick up and be effective in as some of the others, but once you master her you have so many options on how to fight, and there's really no opponent she doesn't have SOME weapon to pull out of her bag of tricks. And when you start talking about the -4, you're looking at an aircraft that has almost no weaknesses. I especially love her high-speed handling when entering a large, multi-contact furball. Come in with some altitude and use the vertical effectively, especially with how effectively that giant rudder can haul the nose over at the top of extensions. Get the speed just right and you'll surprise a LOT of opponents with how quickly you can come back down spewing lead.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2009, 04:04:01 AM »
Pewter-

I think I've got my stick working ok again, I think it may have been a bad USB port.  I'll probably be on again tonight and tomorrow night, and also on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday nights if you still want some help. 

If not, that's fine too.  Sounds like things are working out for you...
MtnMan

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not". Thomas Jefferson

Offline PewterC5

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2009, 10:57:37 AM »
Pewter-

I think I've got my stick working ok again, I think it may have been a bad USB port.  I'll probably be on again tonight and tomorrow night, and also on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday nights if you still want some help. 

If not, that's fine too.  Sounds like things are working out for you...

Mtnman,
 I would definitely appreciate some more help. Unfortunately I will not be on tonight as it is my 2year anniversary with my wife and i wont make it to 3 if I am playing tonight lol. This weekend I will be at Disney so hopefully I can catch you sometime next week. BR I would also like some more time flying with you if you dont mind. i need all the help I can get

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2009, 08:07:32 PM »
Mtnman,
 I would definitely appreciate some more help. Unfortunately I will not be on tonight as it is my 2year anniversary with my wife and i wont make it to 3 if I am playing tonight lol. This weekend I will be at Disney so hopefully I can catch you sometime next week. BR I would also like some more time flying with you if you dont mind. i need all the help I can get

No problem Pewter!  We'll just get together when it works for us both.

I won't be in tonight anyway, I leave for work at 3am tomorrow...  I'll be in on Thursday through Sunday nights though, unless family matters get in the way...
MtnMan

Offline RTR

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2009, 11:28:40 PM »
Dang, another up and coming  Hog Driver. ;)

Pewter, prepare to have a few great fights intermingled with some very humbling experiences. The Hog is argueably the best ride in the house here, but very few are able to fly it to its potential.

I flew it almost exclusively for a few of the years I was here. It has the potential to be the beast of any of the arenas.

Now, I have never flown a hog against Mtnman but have for sure heard of him. Sounds like you have found a great mentor.

Don't let out into the general population though that you are a Hog driver. Every one will want one :D

cheers,

RTR

The Damned

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2009, 11:39:32 PM »

Don't let out into the general population though that you are a Hog driver. Every one will want one :D

I was thinking more along the lines that every Hog SQUAD will want him. ;)

Hog sticks are at a premium around here, it's tough filling out an F4U-focused squad.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Big Rat

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2009, 06:15:19 PM »
Pewter,

Just let me know when you want to train again.  The only booked night I have now is Tuesdays with Flushed at 9:00 central.  I'll probably be on tonight around 9:00 unless I hit the snapshot.  But tomorrow night will work well for me as well.  Just let me know.  If you get a time with Mtnman, let me know as well. We discussed me sitting in with him while training as well, to give me a different teaching perspective.

Saxman,

Getting hog pilots that aren't already with a squad is tough.  A lot of newer pilots try it and give up on it as being too tough to fly well.  This is where I've been catching them.  I find the ones that want to learn the hog but are having a hard time, and try to mentor them with it.  Not only am I helping them learn to fly a plane they like, but it gives me a chance to read their personalities and see if they are squad material for us. 

RTR,

Pewter, will deffinitly be a hog driver to watch in the future if he stays with it, for the hour that I worked with him last week he caught on fast and handles the plane very well. Once he gets the tactics down, especially defensively which is his weak spot now, he will be among the top.

BigRat