Author Topic: 2011 Jeep Grande Cherokee  (Read 1860 times)

Offline RipChord929

• Silver Member
Re: 2011 Jeep Grande Cherokee
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2009, 08:07:56 PM »
[quote I'd love an old CJ5, or Willys, [/quote]

Those are only "Jeeps" because they currently "Own the name"...

THIS is a JEEP!!! 72 CJ5 Renegade, 360v8, all the hotrod goodies... Gets about 4 miles per gallon!!! LOL!!!
"Well Cmdr Eddington, looks like we have ourselves a war..."
"Yeah, a gut bustin, mother lovin, NAVY war!!!"

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2009, 08:35:49 PM »
I have a 2 wheel drive jeep. It does great and gets decent gas mileage.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline 5PointOh

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2009, 10:00:09 PM »
anybody notice that the whole front bumber, grill, and side panels are all joined? thats going to suck when you get into a fender-bender and all you would have to replace is just the bumper...
Thats a composite photo, notice no reflection in the window.  Its not a real vehicle.
Coprhead
Wings of Terror
Mossie Student Driver

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2009, 11:20:29 PM »
[quote I'd love an old CJ5, or Willys,

Those are only "Jeeps" because they currently "Own the name"...

THIS is a JEEP!!! 72 CJ5 Renegade, 360v8, all the hotrod goodies... Gets about 4 miles per gallon!!! LOL!!!
(Image removed from quote.)

Suspension lift, or body lift? That's diddlying nasty either way.
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline RipChord929

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2009, 06:05:36 AM »
It has a 2 1/2 inch suspension lift, and a 3 inch body lift... Springs are 9 leaf front, and 11 leaf rear, very rare.
I didn't want to go any higher, for many reasons..... Mostly because my wife is 5'4", and my girlfriend is 5'1".. So, If it was any taller, they'd need stirrups to climb in... Stirrups and steps, are stupid looking IMO... Also, it has the 80inch wheelbase, these tend to flip endwise if you go silly high... (its a "real Jeep" thing)

All original Jeep body too... Spent countless hours welding and grinding all the drill holes, and cracks..
Was worth it for the end result tho!!!

I took the springs to the springshop, (Wrightway Spring- Tacoma WA) to be recurved and bound, they wanted to trade for a new set of those junker 6" Superlift springs, LOL!! I'm too old to fall for a sucker play like that!!!

When they quit making the CJ, in 83 I think, the true "JEEP" bloodline ended...
They just use the name for marketing reasons now...

RC
« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 06:11:47 AM by RipChord929 »
"Well Cmdr Eddington, looks like we have ourselves a war..."
"Yeah, a gut bustin, mother lovin, NAVY war!!!"

Offline MiloMorai

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2009, 06:38:51 AM »
Ummm? OK? Cherokee's have always been RWD and unibody what's the difference?  :huh

RWD is fine, It's the unibody construction that I've never liked in the Chrysler era Jeeps. 

My 91 Cherokee certainly had frame rails.

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2009, 08:21:12 AM »
HORRIBLE!!!!!!

see i hated it when they changed it in 05, but my sister/brother-in-law got a brand new one last year 09 i believe is the model, but it might have been an 08, and have since fell in love with them! i want an 05 (since it will be the only one in my price range ATM) with the dark tan/brown color exterior. it has to have a moonroof and leather, so im up to the limited at least.

by my god that it absolutely horrible! i absolutely hate when they make SUV's have the roof slant down like that...

A total utility vehicle for sure    :confused:

Anyone looking for a carpet for a TJ ?

I took mine out the day I bought it.

It's in mint condition ..............
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2009, 08:33:08 AM »
Ummm? OK? Cherokee's have always been RWD and unibody what's the difference?  :huh

RWD is fine, It's the unibody construction that I've never liked in the Chrysler era Jeeps.  That and the less than stellar reliability of the Chrysler drivetrains, and the shoddy suspension and linkage components in the Wranglers (unless you spent and extra $7,000 for the Rubicon)

I'd love an old CJ5, or Willys, but I've never been impressed by the Chrysler Jeeps, speaking in terms of there off-road capabilities, and reliability.  Which I guess may not matter since many people just buy them for the looks.

I'm sorry that you have that opinion of their capabilities.

Not all of us buy them as garage queens.

Mine has been washed ONCE since I bought it, and that was by my friend when he wanted to borrow it. (He said it needed to be clean for his wife)  My daughter was PISSED for washing off her birthday mud. (We went wheeling on her B-day)

When my friend came back with the Jeep cleaned, my daughter went to her closet and brought a skirt down and asked my buddy if he wanted to borrow that too  :rofl

Offline 5PointOh

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2009, 09:34:38 AM »
IMO, if you want off roading capabilities...only one way to go

Coprhead
Wings of Terror
Mossie Student Driver

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2009, 09:40:14 AM »
Roads are just one more useless waste of government spending

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2009, 09:52:27 AM »
Mostly because my wife is 5'4", and my girlfriend is 5'1"..

:lol

When my friend came back with the Jeep cleaned, my daughter went to her closet and brought a skirt down and asked my buddy if he wanted to borrow that too  :rofl

Good girl. :D
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2009, 11:42:16 AM »
Mostly because my wife is 5'4", and my girlfriend is 5'1"..
:huh  :confused: Wait...say that again? Must have an interesting side show going on there...some place I can find videos?  :D

My 91 Cherokee certainly had frame rails.
91 Cherokee had 1/2 frame rails connected to the unibody rail slots...not sure if it was just the XJ model or all of them.

IMO, if you want off roading capabilities...only one way to go

OK...so tell me that an average working Joe without a major grant funded expedition going on or some other way of replacing the thing is going to pay 50k for a new Land Rover and then proceed to take it off roading like he would a 75 Chevy Blazer. Probability factor of .0001.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline rstel01

• Copper Member
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2009, 02:35:26 PM »

I'm sorry that you have that opinion of their capabilities.

Not all of us buy them as garage queens.
Mine has been washed ONCE since I bought it, and that was by my friend when he wanted to borrow it. (He said it needed to be clean for his wife)  My daughter was PISSED for washing off her birthday mud. (We went wheeling on her B-day)
:aok
Love all these "Real Jeep Owners" Comments.  Of course half of them think "wheeling" is climbing the curb at the Wal-Mart parking lot.
Bottom Line, The new JK is one of the most capable off Road Jeeps ever produced period. I'd love to see any of these so called "real jeepers" out with us.

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2009, 03:46:28 PM »
:aok
Love all these "Real Jeep Owners" Comments.  Of course half of them think "wheeling" is climbing the curb at the Wal-Mart parking lot.
Bottom Line, The new JK is one of the most capable off Road Jeeps ever produced period. I'd love to see any of these so called "real jeepers" out with us.

To be honest, that photo is one of the first times I have seen a JK covered in mud.  Around here, for the most part, they all have nice shiny wheels and no "custom pinstriping"  It looks a lot less like a soccer mom's grocery getter  :D

My wife's boss just traded in his TJ for a JK and keeps talking about lifting it, going wheeling with me, etc.  I have yet to see him in with it in anything but a spotless, pristine state.

EDIT:  I don't know where you live, but we are making a run in the New Jersey Pine Barrens next Saturday   :D

Offline 5PointOh

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2009, 05:09:06 PM »
OK...so tell me that an average working Joe without a major grant funded expedition going on or some other way of replacing the thing is going to pay 50k for a new Land Rover and then proceed to take it off roading like he would a 75 Chevy Blazer. Probability factor of .0001.
Actually you can pick up a mid to late 90 Discovery 1 or 2 from anywhere between 3k-5k. 

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/White-Land-Rover-Disco2-Tan-Leather-inter-roofrack_W0QQitemZ130331479939QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Cars_Trucks?hash=item1e585c8f83&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245
Coprhead
Wings of Terror
Mossie Student Driver