Author Topic: Wirbelwind is no longer any fun...  (Read 26239 times)

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
Re: Wirbelwind is no longer any fun...
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2009, 11:50:00 AM »
Since the powers that be caved to the vulch tards and pulled the teeth on the wirble, you would at least think they would make it alittle tougher. When one .50 cal round takes out the turret. However it takes multiple 20mm rounds from the wirble to take down an aluminum plane. The least they could do is make it harder to take out the turret. This is a bad change.
The turret is open topped. Shells going into there and bouncing around can be devastating.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline FBnutz

• Zinc Member
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2009, 12:01:45 PM »
See Rule #6
« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 01:46:58 PM by Skuzzy »

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2009, 12:03:13 PM »
As has been said:

The turret traverse on the WW was modelled incorrectly before. And why are you complaining? You still have a historically inaccurate rate and volume of fire to play with (WWs could NOT sustain fire from all four guns the way they can in the game due to how they were loaded).
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Dinan

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2009, 12:04:30 PM »
GOOOOOOOOOOD RIDDENS to fast turrets!

:rofl

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2009, 12:10:58 PM »
Since the powers that be caved to the vulch tards and pulled the teeth on the wirble, you would at least think they would make it alittle tougher. When one .50 cal round takes out the turret. However it takes multiple 20mm rounds from the wirble to take down an aluminum plane. The least they could do is make it harder to take out the turret. This is a bad change.

Its an open turret, its not out of the realm of possibility of a single .50 cal hitting one of the crew in the open turret and killing them.  HTC didn't cave into anyone, they fixed a problem with the turret turn rate that was unrealistic until the change. 

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Online thndregg

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2009, 12:18:54 PM »
Hitech & crew model it according to pertinant data found, I'm sure.
Former C.O. 91st Bombardment Group (Heavy)
"The Ragged Irregulars"

Offline CDR1

• Zinc Member
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2009, 12:46:56 PM »
I think balance is a good idea, no point in having non perked planes or gv's that unhinge the game play. Next thing to fix is the auto ack. At D6.0 there is no way the AI gunner can know which way I am going to turn, The shells have a fixed patch once fired and that correction takes time. the fly by wire 5" shells are just plain stupid and affect game play. One other thing, proximity fuses did not enter service until mid 42, they should be deleted in EW and perhaps MW, it would be an interesting experiment as long as bomber accuracy was addressed too. No one every hit a capital ship with four engined bombers, almost all hits were dive bombers and torps.
Over all I think good tactics should be allowed to produce good results.

Offline 68ZooM

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2009, 01:11:06 PM »
It's gun movements are slower, but you put two of them together and use constant Vox to call out the EA, man o man we had a blast.... me and a squadie had over 12 kills protecting our spawn point, just adapt how you fight with it thats all.
UrSelf...Pigs On The Wing...Retired

Was me, I bumped a power cord. HiTEch

Offline wojo71

• Copper Member
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2009, 01:37:45 PM »
   No worries, we (L.T.A.R.) will work out some new tactics  and everything will go back to normal just like after every other change. :rock

LTARwojo        
Proud father of a U.S. Marine....Proud grandson of Lt Col Hamel Goodin (ret)   B-17 pilot. 305th BG /364th SQD

Offline 68ZooM

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2009, 01:43:59 PM »
   No worries, we (L.T.A.R.) will work out some new tactics  and everything will go back to normal just like after every other change. :rock

Were doing that right now, see above post.... its just like flying you need a wingman to watch your back, just apply that to the wurble.... travel as one = die                            travel as 2 or 3 = killing machines

UrSelf...Pigs On The Wing...Retired

Was me, I bumped a power cord. HiTEch

Offline Kermit de frog

• Gold Member
      • LGM Films
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2009, 02:22:21 PM »
Time's fun when you're having flies.

Offline Strip

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2009, 02:37:55 PM »
It would be nice to have 5" with contact fuse shells....

Would bring the 5" back in to some of the early time-period scenarios perhaps?

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2009, 02:45:17 PM »
No one every hit a capital ship with four engined bombers, almost all hits were dive bombers and torps.

No one ever bombed a capital ship with a 4-engined bomber from 10,000 feet, or lower....

I do agree with you, however.

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2009, 02:56:11 PM »
No one every hit a capital ship with four engined bombers, almost all hits were dive bombers and torps.

The ability of high altitude heavy bombers to hit a maneuvering warship was greatly exaggerated historically.  Their increased effectiveness in AH may not be a result of made modeling by HTC.  There are a lot of factors that they simply have no control over.  They can model accurate speeds by both the bomber and the ship, as well as accurate speeds of the bombs along their flight path but what they can't model is the fact that our cartoon bombardiers have a lot more practice in hitting those moving targets.  There are bomber pilots who know exactly how much to lead and offset their drops to hit a CV from a given alt regardless of what the ship captain does (assuming there is even someone on or near the CV trying to swing it out of harms way). 
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline batch

• Nickel Member
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2009, 03:24:29 PM »
The ability of high altitude heavy bombers to hit a maneuvering warship was greatly exaggerated historically.  Their increased effectiveness in AH may not be a result of made modeling by HTC.  There are a lot of factors that they simply have no control over.  They can model accurate speeds by both the bomber and the ship, as well as accurate speeds of the bombs along their flight path but what they can't model is the fact that our cartoon bombardiers have a lot more practice in hitting those moving targets.  There are bomber pilots who know exactly how much to lead and offset their drops to hit a CV from a given alt regardless of what the ship captain does (assuming there is even someone on or near the CV trying to swing it out of harms way). 

none of what you said has anything whatsoever to do with bombing CVs in AH vs real life........... real life didnt have F6 easy calibration..... nuff said
"theres nothin like wakin up with a Dickens Cider" - Dickens Fruit Stand