Author Topic: Requesting Information - 12FS/18FG - Billy's Filly / St. Louis Blues - P38J/L  (Read 4243 times)

Offline Knite

• Silver Member
Hello Everyone,

I'm terribly sorry to do this, as I feel one of the most time consuming and important things to do as a skinner is the proper research, but at this point, I'm at an end and really need to ask about information, or at least advice on a book or something to go to find it.
My next project after Bald Eagle was always going to be a plane I saw a photo of once a long time ago... "St. Louis Blues - 225", flown by Lt. Sommers. Here's where my problems begin...

A) Almost every profile (often based upon Model stickers) I've found for St. Louis Blues has the aircraft listed as a P-38J of the 12th FS, 44th FG. However, the 44th FG did not use the coloration of aircraft that Blues appears to have in any profile I've seen. I suspect the profiles THEMSELVES as fairly accurate (I have photographs that clearly show the aircraft and the markings match), but I have serious doubts as to the FG as well as the Model (detailed below).

B) I've found another Aircraft that has almost IDENTICAL markings, the P-38L known as Billy's Filly flown by Lt.William Fowkes. This is an aircrafft of the 12th FS / 18th FG. I cannot find any P-38J's in this same setup/coloration. The only ones I've found similar are all P-38Ls (such as Billy's Filly).

Therefore, I suspect St. Louis Blues is in reality a P-38L of the 12th FS / 18th FG, but I cannot 100% confirm, and as I really want to do a P-38L, I need to either prove Blues is really a P-38L of the 12FS/18FG, or if it is not, go with Billy's Filly.

Can anyone assist or point me the right direction? Below is 2 pictures to help show the aircraft. The 1st is Billy's Filly in a Profile, and the 2nd is St. Louis Blues as a painted Model (it is the only picture I have on my webspace right now and I'm at work, I can upload something else tonight later if needed, but this model appears to line up markings mostly with other info I have)

Thanks to anyone who helps, or even reads this. =)

« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 09:20:17 AM by Knite »
Knite

39th FS "Cobra In The Clouds"

I'm basically here to lower the 39th's score :P

Offline Megalodon

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
12FS/18FG - Billy's Filly / St. Louis Blues - P38J/L
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2009, 01:23:59 PM »
I dont know the difference in the 2 planes but I get a p-38J flown by Lt. Eugene Sommerich of the 12th FS, 18th FG

http://www.flickr.com/photos/swapatorium2/3564614598
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 01:41:50 PM by Megalodon »
Okay..Add 2 Country's at once, Australia and France next plane update Add ...CAC Boomerang and the Dewoitine D.520

Offline Knite

• Silver Member
Re: Requesting Info- 12FS/18FG - Billy's Filly / St. Louis Blues - P38J/L
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2009, 02:09:06 PM »
That's her. I suspected the pilot name I had was wrong, as I couldn't find any pilot with that name. Maybe I'll just have to do both. haha.
Thank you so much Megalodon. Just having the proper pilot's name is a huge help!
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 02:39:20 PM by Knite »
Knite

Offline Megalodon

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Requesting Information - 12FS/18FG - Billy's Filly / St. Louis Blues - P38J/L
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2009, 07:09:33 PM »
P-38J-10 s/n 42-104391 :salute
Okay..Add 2 Country's at once, Australia and France next plane update Add ...CAC Boomerang and the Dewoitine D.520

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
Billy's Filly
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2009, 01:49:59 AM »
Billy's Filly

Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
44th FS
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2009, 01:51:13 AM »
44th FS, 18th FG had yellow checks and numbers when they got around to it.  I think that's the confusion.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
St. Louis Blues - P38J/L
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2009, 01:55:11 AM »
I'd love to see photos showing the checks on St. Louis Blues.  It doesn't appear to have them and the serial is on the tail and number on the radiator.  I've looked for a long time after seeing that model a while back.  The decal sheet lists it as 475th FG :)  The bottom photo was captioned 5th AF.  Neither accurate.

Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
Re: Requesting Information -
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2009, 01:59:35 AM »
IF you look at the image Megladon linked to, the background 38 has the number on the radiator and the serial on the tail as well.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Knite

• Silver Member
Re: Requesting Info - 12FS/18FG - Billy's Filly / St. Louis Blues - P38J/L
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2009, 08:12:03 AM »
Thanks a ton for all of your help. I sometimes feel very dumb when it comes to my inability to find enough info for a good skin (and in reality I just skin becuase the history facinates me, so it's kind of win/win).

Guppy, I see what you mean by the # on the radiator in Mega's color pic. Interesting, as that's the first picture I've seen showing anything close to the rear of the aircraft. The only pics I have, while good, are black and white showing the front quarter, meaning I couldn't see the wings, or anything aft of the tail wheels. This could really alter things (not a bad thing, as it'd give more variation between the two, so if I do them as "sister aircraft", it won't look just like a C&P job).

Also, I think you're right about the 44th with the yellow checker pattern causing the confusion. I never realized how tough it was to find information on some of these aircraft until I did Bald Eagle and you pointed out the Blue vs. OD/Green inconsistancy (which I thank you for).

Knite

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
I can answer this.
While looking for some P-38L options fro Greebo to skin I was looking at one of my old books.
I have a copy of Thirteenth air force story by Kenn C. Rust and Dana Bell.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0911852905/ref=dp_olp_all_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=all

Page #49 had these two images.
Two different St. Louis Blues J & L models.

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
Re: St. Louis Blues - P38J/L
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2019, 01:27:53 AM »
I'd love to see photos showing the checks on St. Louis Blues. 

Ask and you shall receive.
 :headscratch: Granted a decade later.

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
Found this too - buddy of mine who works with Oleg at IL-2 had this skin of the Blues... I think it's the J model.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2019, 02:37:03 PM by Mister Fork »
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
and the nutty modellers had this decal pack made as well

And you think we're anal about the historical accuracy of our skins... some of these modellers are well... extreme.
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech