Author Topic: Prop pitch and how its modeled in AH  (Read 7266 times)

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
Prop pitch and how its modeled in AH
« on: October 02, 2009, 03:53:31 PM »
If I'm understanding correctly, by decreasing the RPMs in AH, I am increasing the pitch, taking a bigger bite out of the air with each prop blade. If that is the case then as I go faster, to achieve max speed, I should be increasing the prop pitch & thus decreasing the RPMs. Also, I would expect more impact from engine torque as the pitch increases as there is more resistance with each rotation. It doesn't appear to be the case though, what am I missing?

Yeah, that's right, you just got your rear handed to you by a fuggly puppet!
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline MutleyBR

• Copper Member
Re: Prop pitch and how its modeled in AH
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2009, 04:09:48 PM »
Prop pitch control is automatic in AH.

You only need that control to set RPM to get most economical setting  in fuel critical conditions, or to feather prop to reduce drag with engine out.

Mutley
"If you're in a fair fight, you didn't plan properly."
Nick Lapos, chief R&D pilot, Sikorsky Aircraft

"To go up, pull the stick. To go down, pull the stick back harder..."

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2009, 05:07:11 PM »

You only need that control to set RPM to get most economical setting  in fuel critical conditions, or to feather prop to reduce drag with engine out.

Mutley

What about the relationship to pitch and torque or optimal RPM for fastest flight?

highest RPM might not mean optimal for speed, etc because the RPM could be high because the prop pitch could be low.
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2009, 05:09:39 PM »
What about the relationship to pitch and torque or optimal RPM for fastest flight?

highest RPM might not mean optimal for speed, etc because the RPM could be high because the prop pitch could be low.

It would only be useful to reduce pitch at dive speeds.  In some flight sims you do have to reduce prop pitch in order to attain maximum dive-speed and/or avoid over-revving.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2009, 05:15:07 PM »
It would only be useful to reduce pitch at dive speeds.  In some flight sims you do have to reduce prop pitch in order to attain maximum dive-speed and/or avoid over-revving.

how about when you want 'glide' and feather the propeller.... is propeller drag modeled in ah? would feathering make a difference, in AH?
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline MutleyBR

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2009, 05:37:24 PM »
how about when you want 'glide' and feather the propeller.... is propeller drag modeled in ah? would feathering make a difference, in AH?
Did you read my post?  :rolleyes:

If you did, please, read it again, if not, read it now:

Mutley

:aok

Mutley out. :salute
« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 06:06:49 PM by MutleyBR »

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2009, 05:44:59 PM »
Did you read my post?  :rolleyes:

If you did, please, read it again, if not, read it now:
 :aok

Mutely out. :salute

I read your post, I was asking if it was actually modeled.. like in AH you can reduce your RPMs to feather it but DOES IT ACTUALLY MAKE A DIFFERENCE in AH, not if you could do it.
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline MutleyBR

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2009, 06:18:09 PM »
Just up any plane, go to 5000ft, shutdown engine and glide, to 500 ft, taking note of distance from start of glide to 500ff.

Climb again to 5000ft, shutdown engine, reduce RPM, and glide to 500ft.

Compare the 2 distances and you will have your answer. (again)  :aok
« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 06:32:07 PM by MutleyBR »

Offline comet61

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2009, 06:29:23 PM »
I use a dual throttle set up on my Saitek Cyborg where I can use both at the same time or separately. One is manifold the other RPM setting. It comes in handy for taxiing, fuel cunsumption/cruise. I have noticed a difference in drag if I feather the prop. When I GV hunt from the air I will feather the prop and shut off the engine. In the Ki-84, I noticed I can glide along a little longer when feathered vs. not...but just a little. It's also good for adjusting power/rpm in cruising to conserve fuel and lengthen your flying distance.
Comet61

666th Barbarians FG

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2009, 05:59:29 PM »
Just up any plane, go to 5000ft, shutdown engine and glide, to 500 ft, taking note of distance from start of glide to 500ff.

Climb again to 5000ft, shutdown engine, reduce RPM, and glide to 500ft.

Compare the 2 distances and you will have your answer. (again)  :aok

Would have been nice if you had actually answered the guys question.  I don't believe that feathing is modeled correctly in AH.   in a real aircraft engine, with a feathering prop, A prop can not be feathered by shutdown of an engine.  Once that prop stops spinning the angle of pitch on the prop blade will not change.  From what I have seen in AH it is not possible to move the RPM setting to zero. and looking at the prop of what should be a feathered engine it would appear that the prop is not feathered. 
It may be for the sake of the game, that when you lose an engine the aircraft model assumes that the prop is feathered. 
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2009, 07:05:01 PM »
Would have been nice if you had actually answered the guys question. 

He did.

Twice.

Apparently the OP didn't like the answer so he showed 'em how to figure it out on his own.
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2009, 07:36:19 PM »
I don't believe that feathing is modeled correctly in AH.   in a real aircraft engine, with a feathering prop, A prop can not be feathered by shutdown of an engine.  Once that prop stops spinning the angle of pitch on the prop blade will not change.  From what I have seen in AH it is not possible to move the RPM setting to zero. and looking at the prop of what should be a feathered engine it would appear that the prop is not feathered. 
It may be for the sake of the game, that when you lose an engine the aircraft model assumes that the prop is feathered. 

NOTE- not every plane model has the feathered prop capability, but all plane models have the ability to control the RPM

Traveler, if memory serves me right, if your engine seizes up from being damaged then you cannot feather the prop in game, if infact that particular aircraft had feathered prop ability or not.

on the other hand, if you begin to run low on fuel and or want to conserve, you can feather the prop ( if that particular aircraft had feathered prop ability ) by reducing the RPM as long as the blade is still turning........regardless if the engine is running or has been shutdown......

If the plane does not have feathered prop capability then the prop will not freespin when the engine is dead, but reducing the RPM then shutting down the engine will give you a little benefit if trying to glide back to base.....

sorry, but I would have to log in and recheck my memory by doing a test to say this is 100% accurate.....

but this is what/how I remember this feature working in Aces High II

also remember the differences in the Keyboard keys and the numberpad keys:

Keyboard keys control the Throttle:
- for Reducing
= for Increasing

Numberpad keys control the RPM:
- for Reducing
+ for Increasing

as for how it looks or appears in game or pictures, from my recollection the Propeller is graphically coded as one piece, but the mechanical effects are still there, just not viewable ( YET anyhow )

hope this helps  ( please correct my post, if I misrepresented anything pertaining to how RPM & Prop pitch works in Aces High, I did not bother with verification )
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline MutleyBR

• Copper Member
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2009, 07:51:24 PM »
Would have been nice if you had actually answered the guys question.  I don't believe that feathing is modeled correctly in AH.   in a real aircraft engine, with a feathering prop, A prop can not be feathered by shutdown of an engine.  Once that prop stops spinning the angle of pitch on the prop blade will not change.  From what I have seen in AH it is not possible to move the RPM setting to zero. and looking at the prop of what should be a feathered engine it would appear that the prop is not feathered. 

At home land we use the dictum "If you really want to help someone, you don't give him(her) a fish...  You give him(her) a rod and teach him(her) how to fish..." In other words(have to explain EVERYTHING here...) One lets, even encourages, people to do their own experiments, and learn through that...
Please read again carefully. I answered 2 times.
In many airplanes you not only CAN and sometimes you MUST feather a propeller, AFTER engine shutdown. Letīs say you have an engine stopped, with no oil and a windmilling prop. If you do not stop that prop you may get an engine fire which is much worse.
I did NOT say that a prop can be feathered BY shutting down of the engine, although it can be.
Aces High does not reproduce EVERY detail of a real airplane and real world. It would be asking too much from HiTech and Crew... You are just talking about propellers. We could add cowl flaps and other items... War time spare parts shortage, etc... How many times do you take off with malfunctioning or missing items??
In a real plane one may have several conditions for a prop on a stopped engine. It may be windmilling, it may be stopped feathered, unfeathered, blades bent or missing, etc
With an unbalanced prop planes vibrate violently and may break... Just imagine a 20mm hit to a single prop blade and tearing off engine power control. Imagine that prop missing a blade, turning at 2500 RPM...
What you see in AH when an engine is stopped is  just a visual placeholder...
AND lastly, when you lose an engine in Aces High, by shutting it down yourself or when your enemy shuts it down for you, if you do not reduce those RPM by using num keypad -, you may not be able to RTB.

This is Aces High the best Air Combat game, not real life.

Again, the original question was "...how about when you want 'glide' and feather the propeller.... is propeller drag modeled in ah? would feathering make a difference, in AH?..."

Please re-read my answers and you'll find out. :aok

Mutley

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2009, 09:13:56 PM »
Just so there's no more asking for an answer..

YES DEAR GOD YES IT'S MODELED!!!

Okay, now that that's outta the way.... back to your regular programming.

Offline MutleyBR

• Copper Member
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2009, 11:53:09 PM »
NOTE- not every plane model has the feathered prop capability, but all plane models have the ability to control the RPM

Yes TC, I learned to fly in Fokker T-21 and T-22(Brazilian made version of Fokker S-11 and S-12).
They had wooden fixed pitch props red lined at 2720 RPM. The plane was underpowered for its weight.
To do many aerobatics(which were forbidden by our School) we had to dive and the do it.  :D
One day an airline captain came to visit and wanted to show off... He wen solos in a T-21...
He dived, power on, and did not respect the 2720 RPM limit. And incredible act of magic! Both blades disappeared!  :x
He RTB gliding, and barely made it to the field, red faced.  :D
Some years later, went to work for the same airline he was thereand was quite a pain... I had to ask... "Didn't you go visiting so and so school in the 70's?"  :devil "No sir! I've never been there!"  :x

Mutley

« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 11:59:42 PM by MutleyBR »