Author Topic: P-47M loadout? DTs?  (Read 1372 times)

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
P-47M loadout? DTs?
« on: October 08, 2009, 09:26:21 PM »
So in all the P-47M threads over the years, I thought the general concensus was they almost never had the wing DTs, because they wanted more speed (which the wing racks took away)?

Also, the overload ammo was used only for ground strafing duties on P-47D models (the D being the first model capable of carrying more than 270 rpg). The Ms never did any ground attack work, and carrying around all that extra weight would have been counter-productive, no? Does that mean the M never carried this ammo loadout?

Shouldn't it only have 2 weapons options, one for 6 guns, one for 8? Rather than the 4 gun options?

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
Re: P-47M loadout? DTs?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2009, 10:08:34 PM »
So in all the P-47M threads over the years, I thought the general concensus was they almost never had the wing DTs, because they wanted more speed (which the wing racks took away)?

Krusty, all of the 56th's P-47Ms were retrofitted with pylons and belly shackles for drop tanks. Initially, the fighters were delivered to the group without the wing pylons. After the surrender, most of the fighters had the pylons removed. With or without the wing pylons, all were capable of carrying belly tanks.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2009, 10:20:01 PM »
That's an interesting point about the centerline. I may have overlooked it in-game, but don't recall seeing the option for one.

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2009, 10:33:03 PM »
That's an interesting point about the centerline. I may have overlooked it in-game, but don't recall seeing the option for one.

Nope, the option for the belly tank is not included.. Would be nice to have though.

By the way, P-47Ms could carry ordnance. However, I can't find a single photo of an M with bombs aboard. I know the 56th's D models did haul bombs, but I have no evidence that the Ms ever did (in combat). That's probably why HTC elected not to offer that option.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Stoney

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2009, 11:17:18 PM »
I can find anecdotes describing strafing missions that the 56th performed with the M, but no bombing missions.  Regardless, the pylons were the same, so I'm sure they could carry them.  Ultimately, as far as in-game goes, I'm glad they left off the ord, so the bomb-truckers suicide porking bases don't screw up the final ENY number of the aircraft.
"Can we be incorrect at times, absolutely, but I do believe 15 years of experience does deserve a little more credence and respect than you have given from your very first post."

HiTech

Offline Pyro

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2009, 08:15:19 AM »
I can add the belly tanks.  On the ordnance, I was torn.  Had this plane been introduced as a low level perk plane, I probably would have left the ordnance options available.  As an unperked plane, I prefer to confine it to its historical role so as not to make it the definitive 47 in the MA.

Offline vonKrimm

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2009, 08:48:55 AM »
I can add the belly tanks.  On the ordnance, I was torn.  Had this plane been introduced as a low level perk plane, I probably would have left the ordnance options available.  As an unperked plane, I prefer to confine it to its historical role so as not to make it the definitive 47 in the MA.

That would be really nice of you to add the belly tank as an option.  On a second, lesser note: since it does not carry ords, should it not be a fighter-only mode a/c; much as the Yaks & C.202/C.205 are set-up?  :headscratch:

Thanks again for adding another a/c to the line-up!  :salute

Fight Like a Girl

Offline Dragon

• Platinum Member
      • AH JUGS
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2009, 09:24:03 AM »
That would be really nice of you to add the belly tank as an option.  On a second, lesser note: since it does not carry ords, should it not be a fighter-only mode a/c; much as the Yaks & C.202/C.205 are set-up?  :headscratch:

Thanks again for adding another a/c to the line-up!  :salute

I noticed that too and was wondering the same thing.  Was thinking it should be fighter only.
SWchef  Lieutenant Colonel  Squadron Training Officer  125th Spartan Warriors

Offline Strip

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2009, 10:02:42 AM »

My my.....that sounds like a good excuse for a perked ordnance system.

:D

Offline Stoney

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2009, 10:21:25 AM »
As an unperked plane, I prefer to confine it to its historical role so as not to make it the definitive 47 in the MA.

:rock

Let the nooblet suiciders ruin someone else's aircraft for a change...
"Can we be incorrect at times, absolutely, but I do believe 15 years of experience does deserve a little more credence and respect than you have given from your very first post."

HiTech

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2009, 10:26:55 AM »

I'd leave the ord off as there is no source to suggest it carried it in wartime.  For what it's worth I think your reasoning for leaving it off is good Pyro
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2009, 01:52:53 PM »
I'd leave the ord off as there is no source to suggest it carried it in wartime.  For what it's worth I think your reasoning for leaving it off is good Pyro

Agreed.

- oldman

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2009, 01:54:34 PM »

I notice on the other 47s we only get the 75 gal centerline. Any option of adding the larger centerline, the 108 gal, the 150gal, or even the 200 gal centerline tanks? I mean, now that one of the recent updates increased the upper limit on weapons options (or whatever the term for it was)? Is that something we might see?

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2009, 10:07:43 AM »
I like that...it leaves the D models getting usage as the best bomb-trucks, considering N's horrific climb rate with ord.....not sure exactly what role N gets now, up until now, I used it as my fighter ride, but after last night, I think it's gonna be the M, eny aside
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline E25280

• Gold Member
      • http://125thspartanforums.com
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2009, 12:07:24 PM »
I can add the belly tanks.  On the ordnance, I was torn.  Had this plane been introduced as a low level perk plane, I probably would have left the ordnance options available.  As an unperked plane, I prefer to confine it to its historical role so as not to make it the definitive 47 in the MA.
Good reasoning IMO.  But then . . .

On a second, lesser note: since it does not carry ords, should it not be a fighter-only mode a/c; much as the Yaks & C.202/C.205 are set-up?  :headscratch:
. . . makes complete sense.
Brauno in a past life, followed by LTARget
SWtarget in current incarnation
Captain and Communications Officer~125th Spartans

"Proudly drawing fire so that my brothers may pass unharmed."