Author Topic: Command Bunker Bombing Runs  (Read 530 times)

Offline Krisidious

• Zinc Member
Command Bunker Bombing Runs
« on: October 15, 2009, 06:23:45 PM »
I've been making Command Bunker Bombing Runs to the "Star" on the map... and I've had a total of 9 bombers drop on it and cannot seem to blow it up... any help? you can see where taking an hour long flight deep into enemy territory can get a little frustrating when you don't get the satisfaction of destroying the target...

I've looked around the site and not found any instruction on the command system, maybe I'm using the wrong terminology or perhaps it has to do with the whole play of the game that certain tasks must be attained before others like the command bunker can fall?

also after hitting the bunker and then coming back and hitting the city around the bunker,and then on the third run the whole area was already rebuilt.

Offline StokesAk

• Gold Member
Re: Command Bunker Bombing Runs
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2009, 06:28:27 PM »
Ok!

The command bunker (HQ) is the only thing you really need to kill for it to have the desired effect (no radar for that country).

IIRC it takes 36,000lbs of bombs to kill an HQ. Doing it at high alt by yourself is almost impossible.

The town at the HQ rebuilds fast because there is a train that goes in and rebuilds some of the biulding every once in a while.
Strokes

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2009, 06:35:21 PM »
The "Star" is called HQ - see the AH Strategy Guide on the Aces High Trainer Corps website, including strategic target effects and the amount of ordnance needed for them.

Destroying the HQ is not easy - not only it needs the largest amount of explosives of any target in game, but it's also not that easy to hit. When you drop all your bombs in a salvo, expect only a part of your formation's bombs hitting it. You can kill it with 2 Lancaster formations, but it needs very precise bombing then. In game, it's rarely taken down by so few formations.

And please take note that all the small town buildings around it are just eyecandy - hitting them hasn't any effect on game, or your perks points and score (you're just wasting bombs)

« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 06:37:30 PM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Krisidious

• Zinc Member
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2009, 09:31:06 PM »
awesome guys... thanks for the info... I'll be pulling a couple of these tonight.

Offline LYNX

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2009, 08:10:57 AM »
awesome guys... thanks for the info... I'll be pulling a couple of these tonight.

I would recommend you don't waist your time... here's why.  It takes 38K of ords the destroy HQ (square large building).  Unfortunately HQ is no longer susceptible to blast damage like a town building or a hanger.  That was changed a number of years ago. 

What you'll find is your drone bombers will not actually hit the HQ.  Their bombs fall either side of it.  Only the lead bomber actually hits the target.  Even with a full salvo and a delay of 0.05 you'll not put enough ords down.

"Ah! but I'll make another run" I hear you say.  Well here's the news.  HQ regains in time.  The damage isn't long lasting so by the time you get back to the HQ for another drop it's fully regained from previous damage.  Your repeating the same run for no effect.  Essentially do absolutely nothing repeatedly.

To destroy HQ with high altitude bombers you'll need, as a beginner, three sets of Lancaster's or five sets B24's/B17's.  Unfortunately you and your buddies will kick up a huge dar bar alerting the enemy.  The size of the dar bar can be reduced by fly a very close formations of 300ft or less but it will still be a significant dar bar.

Another down side to bombing HQ is it only takes 8 boxes of supply to fully rebuild HQ.  This is made very easy to do if a vehicles can spawn to HQ.  None the less C47's can do the job before you get even a quarter of the way home.

I would not recommend bombing an enemy HQ until you have captured bases close by and can destroy enemy barracks to stop the resupply of HQ. 

That said it can be fun to mount a long range multiple bomber run....good luck and watch out for ME163's.

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2009, 08:21:03 PM »
Destroying the HQ is not easy - not only it needs the largest amount of explosives of any target in game, but it's also not that easy to hit. When you drop all your bombs in a salvo, expect only a part of your formation's bombs hitting it. You can kill it with 2 Lancaster formations, but it needs very precise bombing then. In game, it's rarely taken down by so few formations.

I killed it with 1 set not too long ago...:)
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2009, 08:37:41 PM »
I killed it with 1 set not too long ago...:)

But under usual circumstances, it's almost impossible... especially for a new player ;)
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 08:42:34 PM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2009, 11:37:25 PM »
I've been making Command Bunker Bombing Runs to the "Star" on the map... and I've had a total of 9 bombers drop on it and cannot seem to blow it up... any help? you can see where taking an hour long flight deep into enemy territory can get a little frustrating when you don't get the satisfaction of destroying the target...

I've looked around the site and not found any instruction on the command system, maybe I'm using the wrong terminology or perhaps it has to do with the whole play of the game that certain tasks must be attained before others like the command bunker can fall?

also after hitting the bunker and then coming back and hitting the city around the bunker,and then on the third run the whole area was already rebuilt.

i'd follow most of what the other guys say.......but keep trying. get others to go with you. you'd be surprised at the fun fights you can create on a mission like that.  :aok :bolt:
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)