Author Topic: Aces High on Wikipedia  (Read 1208 times)

Offline Yossarian

• Gold Member
Aces High on Wikipedia
« on: October 18, 2009, 01:59:40 PM »
I've just started updating the Aces High II Wikipedia page.  It was in a sorry state (to say the least :p), and someone had removed most of the text on the page for the reason of "Cleanup" :huh.

Anyway, if someone could update the 'aircraft' section on that page, it would be much appreciated!  If you don't know too much about how Wikipedia editing works, just follow the format of the other planes in the list :)!  Also, in terms of logos, what are the limitations on putting the Aces High II logo on Wikipedia - I'm largely clueless on that.
Afk for a year or so.  The name of a gun turret in game.  Falanx, huh? :banana:
Apparently I'm in the 20th FG 'Loco Busters', or so the legend goes.
O o
/Ż________________________
| IMMA FIRIN' MAH 75MM!!!
\_ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
Re: Aces High on Wikipedia
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2009, 02:05:14 PM »
Just looked at the page.  Some parts read more like an advertisement than an objective description of the game.  My $.02.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Yossarian

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2009, 02:11:28 PM »
Ok, I'll be fixing it up a bit more in the next few days, since I'm now on half term (finally! :D)
O o

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2009, 04:54:51 PM »
Wikipedia are always such a pain to maintain. You have people out there that think it's absolutely HILARIOUS to vandalize the pagse with pointless drivel and insults. Y'know, even though it takes one click to fix.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2009, 05:31:22 PM »
are you updating the regular wikipedia  or HTC's  own  AKWiki?  just curious........

edit: it is the regular wikipedia........btw the Oct 22 , 2008 version seemed a hell of alot more indepth then what is currently there.........

just saying...... seems everyone has their own idea of what should be on this particular page......

......am glad their are moderators/controllers  for our AHWiki  here at Aces High to combat the nonsense that appears over on that wikipedia........
« Last Edit: October 18, 2009, 05:40:41 PM by TequilaChaser »
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2009, 06:32:06 PM »
......am glad their are moderators/controllers  for our AHWiki  here at Aces High to combat the nonsense that appears over on that wikipedia........

Double-edged sword, really. Sometimes I wish that all articles at Wikipedia were moderated. On the other hand, I've had to deal with the tyrants at some of the Wikias which is NOT fun.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2009, 06:47:56 PM »
Double-edged sword, really. Sometimes I wish that all articles at Wikipedia were moderated. On the other hand, I've had to deal with the tyrants at some of the Wiki's which is NOT fun.

completely understandable, Saxman......

just an example...on HTC's AHwiki, some people have included their own "personal views" of how to fly offensively or defensively in a particular plane type...... yet they have not posted "who" they actually are! this to me is verymisleading in the fact that it is a "Personal Opinion" of how onemight go about flying the plane and is not at all the overall views of the rest of the Aces High Community......

currently ( for past several weeks ) I have been taking notes of such gibberish to bring to the attention of the AHwiki controllers. So they can go about editing these inconsistency's of misleading information......

it was my understanding that only "Factual Information" or "proved Facts" is what was asked for for the AHwiki. Not someones opinion or self educated theory...........
at least that is my understanding of what HTC has asked for
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2009, 10:29:49 PM »
I tried maintaining it for a while.  Between the idiotic, clueless, busybody Wikipedia Nazi moderators (there's a special place in Hades for them, I hope) and the people who think it's HILARIOUS to put a bunch of crap into the text even though it causes work for other people then to clean it up, it became quite an annoying task.

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2009, 10:50:11 PM »
I tried maintaining it for a while.  Between the idiotic, clueless, busybody Wikipedia Nazi moderators (there's a special place in Hades for them, I hope) and the people who think it's HILARIOUS to put a bunch of crap into the text even though it causes work for other people then to clean it up, it became quite an annoying task.

One of my favorites was a guy who wouldn't let me post a problem with how the Deadliest Warrior handled the Viking, even though I have a written source (Viking Weapons and Warfare by J.K. Siddorn. If you're into that sort of thing, I highly recommend it) that outlined several faults in their presentation.

His reason?

The book I was using as the reference wasn't written SPECIFICALLY to debunk the program.

:huh :huh :huh

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2009, 01:18:35 PM »
One of my favorites was a guy who wouldn't let me post a problem with how the Deadliest Warrior handled the Viking, even though I have a written source (Viking Weapons and Warfare by J.K. Siddorn. If you're into that sort of thing, I highly recommend it) that outlined several faults in their presentation.

His reason?

The book I was using as the reference wasn't written SPECIFICALLY to debunk the program.

:huh :huh :huh

Oh, yes.  I see that as totally fitting for a Wiki moderator.  Maybe not all of them are rediculous, meddling pinheads, but the ones I've interacted certainly seem to be.

Offline Yossarian

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2009, 01:55:56 PM »
Oh, yes.  I see that as totally fitting for a Wiki moderator.  Maybe not all of them are rediculous, meddling pinheads, but the ones I've interacted certainly seem to be.

Heh, well I guess I'll get my own experiences with them soon ;)

Are these 'moderators' just general people who exist on Wikipedia, or do they actually have a formal role?
O o

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2009, 02:22:15 PM »
Are these 'moderators' just general people who exist on Wikipedia, or do they actually have a formal role?

Anyone can generally edit posts, but the moderators have some special status and abilities on Wikipedia.  They are the sort of person who has the time to re-edit your entries several times a day in any sort of battle of revisions, and if they decide to do so, they can get your editing abilities taken away.

It's a random thing on Wikipedia.  You can post things and not run into clueless, twit moderators.  Or, just through random chance (or maybe because there are frequent edits because you are cleaning up after one of the "it's so hilarious to post some crap" people), one of these clueless moderators notices the entry and takes an interest (which is very bad).  Then he or she starts deciding that you can't post which aircraft are availble in the game because your reference for that is the manufacturer's website as opposed to a third-party book in a library or that you can't post any screenshots of the game because the idiot doesn't feel that your particular screenshot added anything useful to the Wikipedia entry.

Offline Yossarian

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2009, 03:15:41 PM »
Thanks, I'll do my best with these people... :noid
O o

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2009, 04:52:27 PM »
he or she starts deciding that you can't post which aircraft are availble in the game because your reference for that is the manufacturer's website as opposed to a third-party book in a library...

Some moderators are WAY too anal about the "third-party source" thing. Especially in this case. If hitech's own website says there's certain planes in the game, chances are that's pretty reliable information.

Offline Yossarian

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2009, 02:30:55 PM »
Do any of you have links to (or just know of) any third-party reviews, or even mentions of Aces High?  I haven't found a thing, and the article's pretty much a lost cause unless there are some 3rd party reviews etc referenced in it.
O o