Author Topic: Possible ways to keep WW1 arena busy  (Read 1462 times)

Offline Grind

• Copper Member
Re: Possible ways to keep WW1 arena busy
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2009, 10:09:59 PM »
Ah come on, Imagine the fun of taking bases with 10 guys in a horse drawn cart

No!  Its gotta be the player on Harley taking the base after finding and shooting ten guys with his 45 before being strafed by the enemy.   :salute :D
Windows 11 Pro, Z790 UD AX,  i5-13600K, 64 MB DDR5, RTX 4070, Alienware AW3225QF QD-OLED monitor,TrackIr 5, VKB Gunfighter IV, VKB Gladiator NXT EVO Throttle, VKB Mk V Rudder Pedals.

Offline Boxboy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2009, 10:55:25 PM »
Actually as I recall taking bases in DoA was one of flattening the base with bombs and then landing on the field :airplane: :headscratch:
Sub Lt BigJim
801 Sqn FAA
Pilot

Offline TEShaw

• Silver Member
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2009, 12:47:27 AM »
Actually I thought that since the planes won't have air pressured cockpits, and the pilots probably don't have air masks, people will take them up way too high for the pilot to actually still be breathing, or get frost bite

I believe there is a picture somewhere of Herman Goering with an oxygen mask in The Great War; certainly, at least, an oxygen bottle.

And just what altitude do you think Zepplins flew?

Offline TEShaw

• Silver Member
« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2009, 01:10:58 AM »
Also...Hightech already has designed an entire arena with a dozen or more planes, balloons that served as 'radar', Zeppelin bombers AND gunners (totally hilarious), choice of ball or incendiary ammunition, flack over the trenches, rockets on the Nieuports. It was called 'Dawn of Aces'. (With the rather sad acronym of DOA)

Man, shooting down the zeppelins filled with exploding hydrogen was hilarious.  ...and the most colorful event on a computer screen since Christopher Colombus invented firecrackers.

(also, the supposed word, 'Hitech' won't pass spellcheck on this forum.)

regards, teshaw

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2009, 08:04:53 AM »
While I don't doubt that the WW1 arena will be busy, I do hope, TEShaw, that it will be a big improvement over DoA, where 50% of the arena was F1 Camels that didn't spin and everyone could land hits from 300+ yards out.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Grind

• Copper Member
« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2009, 08:08:26 AM »
DoA was very fun....  speaking of game designs by Hitech.  What was the name of the "space based game" that he designed?  It was in beta way back when... also fun.   I've searched and searched and cant find it.  I did learn that Hitech is an inventer and holds a patent.  Pretty cool.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 08:19:27 AM by Grind »
Windows 11 Pro, Z790 UD AX,  i5-13600K, 64 MB DDR5, RTX 4070, Alienware AW3225QF QD-OLED monitor,TrackIr 5, VKB Gunfighter IV, VKB Gladiator NXT EVO Throttle, VKB Mk V Rudder Pedals.

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2009, 11:46:06 AM »
While I don't doubt that the WW1 arena will be busy, I do hope, TEShaw, that it will be a big improvement over DoA, where 50% of the arena was F1 Camels that didn't spin and everyone could land hits from 300+ yards out.

Yes, considering practically all guns will be nose-mounted, if the gunnery modeled isn't designed to keep firing ranges reasonable, could be worse than some of the stuff you run into in the MA right now.
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline Simba

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2009, 01:06:54 PM »
DoA was great once they'd introduced artillery and the ability to direct its fire onto the enemy's airfields. It became a halfway-proper WW1 sim.

But then they porked it by turning it into a cheesy furballing arena and calling it 'Flyboys'. Sigh.

Simba
No.6 Squadron vRFC/RAF

Offline Miska

• Copper Member
« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2009, 07:40:59 PM »
In the DoA HA, we had managed to keep effective engagement ranges down to about 100 yards.  That made for some very nice WWI simming.

Vlas++

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2009, 07:59:33 PM »
Perhaps a mission or goal based combat where you need to deny enemy aircraft access to certain airspace, or at least stop any that do enter it from returning to base with recon reports?  They are scouts after all.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Miska

• Copper Member
« Reply #40 on: October 23, 2009, 08:09:40 PM »
Exactly.  Define a block of airspace, complete with min and max alt, and provide recon planes with a camera loadout.  Give points to a side only for landing pictures taken in that block.  The side with the most points at the end of the tour wins.  An very interesting air war will emerge from these simple rules.

Offline mensa180

• Platinum Member
« Reply #41 on: October 23, 2009, 08:12:59 PM »
Exactly.  Define a block of airspace, complete with min and max alt, and provide recon planes with a camera loadout.  Give points to a side only for landing pictures taken in that block.  The side with the most points at the end of the tour wins.  An very interesting air war will emerge from these simple rules.

I like this.
inactive
80th FS "Headhunters"
Public Relations Officer

Offline texastc316

• Silver Member
      • Mighty 316th
« Reply #42 on: October 23, 2009, 08:25:55 PM »
Not 'those' kind of pictures Mensa
TexsTC-CO/Court Jester-Mighty 316th FS "CREEPING DEATH"  in MA/FSO

The eager pilots are not experienced. And the experienced not eager.

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Plawranc

• Gold Member
      • Youtube Channel
« Reply #43 on: October 23, 2009, 11:11:59 PM »
 :joystick:

Mount youre Camels guys, its time for some dogfighting
DaPacman - 71 Squadron RAF

"There are only two things that make life worth living. Fornication and Aviation"

Offline Simba

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #44 on: October 27, 2009, 03:29:21 PM »
To hell with the Humpy One, the outlook upward and forward from its cockpit is poor due to being directly under the top mainplane. The dinky li'l opening in the upper centre section doesn't help much either. Sopwith Pup or Triplane would be nice though . . .

No, sir, the best fighting 'scout' of the Great War was Farnborough's finest - the SE5a, flown by Mannock, McCudden, Beauchamp-Proctor and many other great aces. Until it makes its appearance, I'll fly the Bristol F2B, built just a few miles from where I'm typing this. Splendid kite, just so long as it's properly modelled as the tough old warhouse it was; unlike the real thing, the Dawn of Aces 'Biff' shed its wings in a terminal-velocity dive.

Love the photo-recce idea. Add artillery but don't allow it to shoot until it's identified its targets from the photos, then force it to fire blind unless there's a two-seater on hand with a PBO (Poor Bloody Observer) to direct the shoot. Fields are captured by totally demolishing the hangars and perimeter 'Archie' (anti-aircraft guns) and then sending in ten brave members of the PBI (Poor Bloody Infantry) who have somehow survived long enough in their Crossley tender to get to the bar and start downing the captured booze.

Bottoms up - cheers!

:cheers:

« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 03:40:50 PM by Simba »
Simba
No.6 Squadron vRFC/RAF