Author Topic: Instead of 2 "LW" Arenas, Make One a "Rolling" WWII Planeset?  (Read 1339 times)

Offline Treize69

• Platinum Member
      • http://grupul7vanatoare.homestead.com/Startpage.html
Re: Instead of 2 "LW" Arenas, Make One a "Rolling" WWII Planeset?
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2009, 02:59:13 PM »
That, and Wild Bill's cunning business skills  :rofl

I think that is the far more likely reason. That and the ridiculously disappointing release of WBIII. How long of a build up and it started to drive players (like me) out as soon as it was released? Still ranks as one of the worst 'upgrades' to a game ever IMO.
Treize (pronounced 'trays')- because 'Treisprezece' is too long and even harder to pronounce.

Moartea bolșevicilor.

Offline TEShaw

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2009, 03:13:19 PM »
Hey hey!

Back when we split the arenas, a few of us tossed around the idea of making a 'progressive' arena which would basically evolve over time, starting with a very early planeset and then gradually working towards the LW rides.

One of the benefits of actually 'winning' the arena by one of the Chess pieces would be the option to lock the planeset for another round, or letting it 'age' to the next tier, perhaps gradually adding more planes as the area matured.  When the arena is won, toss a pop-up to the winning players allowing them a two-option vote on what the next arena would be.  This wouldn't necessarily be locked into an EW/MW/LW planeset, but could see several different phases of the war where several planes get added as they were historically available during WWII.

Any ideas or opinions about how popular this would be, and how HTC could integrate it?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

This is the sort of lunacy that ended Warbirds. Also, why not remove radar and voice comms because every pilot in the air is not tuned to the same frequency. And Japanese pilots dumped out the radios.

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2009, 03:39:55 PM »
Just say NO to RPS.
See Rule #4

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2009, 04:14:35 PM »
Is'nt that what the AVA is?  RPS? :huh
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline Simba

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2009, 03:01:36 PM »
". . . the ridiculously disappointing release of WBIII. How long of a build up and it started to drive players (like me) out as soon as it was released? Still ranks as one of the worst 'upgrades' to a game ever IMO."

Too right - and they totally porked Dawn of Aces at the same time, from a halfway-decent WW1 sim into a garbage arcade game called 'Flyboys'.

Pah.

:joystick:
Simba
No.6 Squadron vRFC/RAF

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2009, 04:21:27 PM »
Hey hey!

Back when we split the arenas, a few of us tossed around the idea of making a 'progressive' arena which would basically evolve over time, starting with a very early planeset and then gradually working towards the LW rides.

One of the benefits of actually 'winning' the arena by one of the Chess pieces would be the option to lock the planeset for another round, or letting it 'age' to the next tier, perhaps gradually adding more planes as the area matured.  When the arena is won, toss a pop-up to the winning players allowing them a two-option vote on what the next arena would be.  This wouldn't necessarily be locked into an EW/MW/LW planeset, but could see several different phases of the war where several planes get added as they were historically available during WWII.

Any ideas or opinions about how popular this would be, and how HTC could integrate it?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

it's good that guys are trying to come up with ideas......but i believe that(just like the ew and mw arenas) that the arenas should be left as they are.

they work nicely, it seems. there can always be some fun to be had in one of them.....and they are what we as the players make of them, and nothing more.  :aok :airplane: :bolt:
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2009, 04:34:18 PM »
Grew to HATE the RPS............... over in WB and prefer to NEVER see or have to deal with it EVER again!   :furious

When one side has access to only LW planes or allied planes the balance of the arena is sooooo lopesided mosty to LW at the early war and then mostly allied there after.  :mad:

The original RPS was not split along axis/allied lines.  Each of the 4 colors had access to all of the aircraft.  I found it to be a lot of fun and would enjoy it again in AH.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2009, 08:03:46 PM »
Hmm I remember a simular arguement about "perk planes".  IMHO the rolling plane set was a good thing, but folks just always gravitate to the "best" equipment.  Perhaps a rolling arena's EW one week, MW one week, and LW 2 weeks

Perking a plane doesn't deny anyone the ability to fly it, they just have to earn enough perk planes to take one up.  The complete opposite is true of a rolling plane set.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2009, 08:05:32 PM »
I greatly miss the old RPS from the days of the WWII Arena in WarBirds, but its a sad fact that it'll never fly here. Been brought up many a time, and invariably shot down in flames. I think HT himself has said there will never be an RPS in any of the main arenas, but I may be mistaken.

Makes you wonder how successful it really was in WB if HiTech has declared many times that AH will never see a RPS.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Boxboy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2009, 01:07:08 AM »
Perking a plane doesn't deny anyone the ability to fly it, they just have to earn enough perk planes to take one up.  The complete opposite is true of a rolling plane set.

ack-ack

Doesn't change what I said, when perk plane were first talked about alot of guys said they would leave if it was implemented, that has zero to do with perk planes being justified.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 01:11:56 AM by Boxboy »
Sub Lt BigJim
801 Sqn FAA
Pilot

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2009, 01:26:19 AM »
Hey hey!

NO
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline dhyran

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
      • ~<<~Loose Deuce~>>~
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2009, 02:23:27 AM »
why not change the EW into a RPS arena? Its allways empty actual, so it could be nice to have a splitted RPS arena, Axis vs Allied with RPS on small maps!

dhyran  - retired  CO  ~<<~Loose Deuce~>>~        www.loose-deuce.net/

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2009, 05:36:37 AM »
why not change the EW into a RPS arena? Its allways empty actual, so it could be nice to have a splitted RPS arena, Axis vs Allied with RPS on small maps!

Yea so those 6 guys can roll bases with more modern equip. :rolleyes:
See Rule #4

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2009, 07:39:19 AM »
Doesn't change what I said, when perk plane were first talked about alot of guys said they would leave if it was implemented, that has zero to do with perk planes being justified.

now this is a valid point.

a LOT of people will say "i'll do this" or "i'll do that" or "if they do this, i'm outta here!". especially on the internet.

then when whatever it is that stirred em up happens, they more often than not, remain, and adapt to the new conditions.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2009, 07:39:58 AM »

why not change the ava instead?
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"