Author Topic: Uninstalling Skins Viewer Uninstalls AH  (Read 355 times)

Offline boomerlu

• Silver Member
Uninstalling Skins Viewer Uninstalls AH
« on: October 23, 2009, 11:27:49 PM »
Just as the topic says. I installed the skin viewer, and upon deciding that I didn't need it, uninstalled it.

Lo and behold, it wipes my entire AH directory off my computer. I've lost all my custom content. Going to be quite annoying to reinstall it all.

Edit, I'm no longer sure this is true. I'm going to try this again.

Edit edit: I am absolutely sure this happens. Just did a clean install, installed skin viewer. Then uninstalled skin viewer, which removed the entire game directory. It's going to take a long time to get back my old settings  :mad:
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 11:37:49 PM by boomerlu »
boomerlu
JG11

Air Power rests at the apex of the first triad of victory, for it combines mobility, flexibility, and initiative.

Offline dmdchief

• Nickel Member
Re: Uninstalling Skins Viewer Uninstalls AH
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2009, 05:00:00 PM »
Do you have a back up of your computor?  If so just reinstall it from the back up and it will be like it was when you did the back up.  I used this when I got a virus and had to go to the back up to reinstall several programs.  I now leave my antivirus on even when I am playing the game so I don't get a virus in the back-ground like I did before.
HAVE THE COURAGE TO STEP UP AND LEAD AND THE PUBLIC WILL FOLLOW

Offline boomerlu

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2009, 05:51:28 PM »
I had no backup unfortunately. I'm backing up my custom content from now on. Took about a day to get most of the stuff back; unfortunately I lost a lot of films forever.

Main point here - BEWARE WHAT YOU UNINSTALL. Oh and HTC, please change the skin viewer so this doesn't happen. :salute
boomerlu
JG11

Air Power rests at the apex of the first triad of victory, for it combines mobility, flexibility, and initiative.

Offline Pyro

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2009, 10:24:58 AM »
I'll check it out, sorry about that?  Are you sure it didn't leave your settings folder behind?

Offline boomerlu

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2009, 06:26:34 PM »
Pyro, it absolutely wiped everything. I know because I had to reset all of my settings including stick and head views. Even had to retype my username and password.

I use Vista, if that information is relevant in any way. I know you guys hate the OS :lol.

Anyways, everything is back to normal. Only things I really wish I still had are my films.
boomerlu
JG11

Offline Ruler2

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2009, 06:40:18 PM »
boomerlu,quick fix: system restore.   restore it to the first pt before you uninstalled skin viewer,it works most of the time.

Offline Hungry

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2009, 06:45:30 PM »
Im not sure that you can get this particular one but I use Retoration ver 2.5.1.4, will undelete deleted items off your hard drive.  The trick is use the hard drive as little as possible after the delete so that the sectors are not over written.
"I would gladly pay you Tuesday for a Hamburger today"

Offline boomerlu

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2009, 07:17:09 PM »
Hungry - I wish I had remembered that little tidbit about the FATs, i.e., that Windows delete isn't a true delete - it only deallocates the sectors in the FAT but leaves the data intact. As it is, it's way too late to do that but thanks.

Re: system restore, I'm under the impression it only restores things with respect to settings and Windows updates etc. I considered it but I thought better when the description said it doesn't restore files.
boomerlu
JG11

Offline Ruler2

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2009, 09:28:16 PM »
that's what I thought too,but if you accidentally uninstalled something it magically reinstalls it.

Offline boomerlu

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2009, 11:43:09 PM »
Just tried the restore - it was only partial. It gave me back my settings, but as I had already re-set them, it was of no use to me. I've since wiped the restore.
boomerlu
JG11