Author Topic: Remember learning the scissors and other ACM?  (Read 1840 times)

Offline Stalwart

• Silver Member
Remember learning the scissors and other ACM?
« on: October 29, 2009, 04:32:45 AM »
Anyone remember learning basic ACM and thinking, "Oh my god, how am I supposed to look out my rear view, keep my eyes on a con, keep my situational awareness AND fly the plane without hitting the ground."   :eek:

And, anyone remember when it suddenly slipped into your consiousness that you were doing all that, and doing it well, and you felt a whole bunch of  :cool: inside.

Yeah, More of that please.  :cheers:

Offline SAJ73

• Nickel Member
Re: Remember learning the scissors and other ACM?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009, 05:30:57 AM »
I remember coming in here about 2 years ago making flat turns with no flaps, and doing barrel rolls as the most advanced survival technicue. Could not understand how planes coming straight at me could just disappear when I tried to turn after them, only to appear again from seemingly nowhere two sec later shredding me from my 6..?  :headscratch:

That's when I was introduced to something called the MERGE...  :confused:
Remember thinking this game is so full of cheaters and hackers I am not gonna play here for long, that's for sure..  :huh :rofl
Well, I've learned a few things since then.  :lol   :banana:

TheStig

Offline lagger86

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2009, 06:38:03 AM »
I remember learning those things, but I usually apply them during a giant furball...I learned that fighting 1v1 only works in a 1v1 situation...yet I still attempt to fight 1v1 in a furball. I have learned nothing. :cry
Lagger

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2009, 08:19:11 AM »
Anyone remember learning basic ACM and thinking, "Oh my god, how am I supposed to look out my rear view, keep my eyes on a con, keep my situational awareness AND fly the plane without hitting the ground." 

We're supposed to be able to do all that?

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2009, 08:40:16 AM »
One day it just happened.  The maneuvers came without thinking, the swapping views to track cons like you had a third eye, throttle work, flaps as needed, all of it.  When I was thinking about it I died a whole lot.  Now that the ACM is more automatic, I still die a lot, but look good doing it.... :D
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Online Lazerr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2009, 08:54:00 AM »
Anyone remember learning basic ACM and thinking, "Oh my god, how am I supposed to look out my rear view, keep my eyes on a con, keep my situational awareness AND fly the plane without hitting the ground."   :eek:

And, anyone remember when it suddenly slipped into your consiousness that you were doing all that, and doing it well, and you felt a whole bunch of  :cool: inside.

Yeah, More of that please.  :cheers:

I remember about 8 years ago..I was sick of getting shot down in my b38... I found Fester/Citabria at the time..and here I am!

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2009, 12:01:49 PM »
"Twin Engined Devils?"

Seems to me, if memory serves, that if youre going to resurect a squadron, it should be the properly named "Forked-Tailed Devils."

:noid

Offline Dragon

• Platinum Member
      • AH JUGS
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2009, 12:10:18 PM »
We're supposed to be able to do all that?

+1

SWchef  Lieutenant Colonel  Squadron Training Officer  125th Spartan Warriors

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2009, 12:33:30 PM »
Nothing feels more satisfying than going into a really tough 1-on-1, and coming out the victor.  :cool:

Offline CDR1

• Zinc Member
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2009, 12:40:11 PM »
Getting the timing right is the hard part for me. Knowing when to start climbing behind a target so i don't end up in a vertical HO, exactly when to chop the throttle. I am pretty sure being able to do this right is what makes so few so good.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2009, 12:43:32 PM »
I can't wait till I learn all that. I'm almost giddy with anticipation.

Until then I offer this......

Craigslist >> Slightly used P-38 parts. Some fire damage. Some dents and dings. Most available parts lightened by way of perforations. Call
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2009, 12:51:21 PM »
I would say it was an advantage of the beta map, the canyons forced you to learn to scissor. You couldn't get out of them, you couldn't hide, after one fight you where stuck in the bottom with another pony bouncing you from above. Without planes that could just pull away from everything, you learned to scissor the plane you liked.

Offline shreck

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2009, 01:38:38 PM »
Nothing feels more satisfying than going into a really tough 1-on-1, and coming out the victor.  :cool:

Hmmm, I would say having my TOOL polished trumps any cartoon victory!! :aok

just saying  :rock :rock    :bolt:

Offline shreck

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2009, 01:50:29 PM »
The day I squeeked the victory away from mazz in the ladder competition is when I openly thought--> "WOW something must have sunk into my thick skull"  TC peeeeeeeed all over my parade one week later  :D  Humility is a real M/Fer  :rock

<S> MAZZ and TC   :aok

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2009, 01:57:11 PM »
I just went out and did stuff.  If it worked I kept it and if it didn't I didn't.  Then what did didn't so I did more stuff.  Then what didn't did so I added it back in.  Now it seems everything that did doesn't.   :confused:  :uhoh

Seriously though, it's a progression.  I did read about the manouvers and look at the pictures but mostly I just tried things.  Probably why I'm still not good.

My day of enlightenment was in late '96 when I latched onto the six of a 109F-4 in my Spit IX in AW.  The guy in the 109 was good and put me through every manouver imaginable trying to shake me off his tail and I stayed with him through the whole thing.  It was so much fun I immediately signed him to my squad and I'll never forget that fight.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 01:58:51 PM by BaldEagl »
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.