Author Topic: Landing kills question  (Read 1356 times)

Offline XconX

• Zinc Member
Landing kills question
« on: October 29, 2009, 10:53:03 PM »
Ok, let me first state that I do not have this on film and I am a bit new to flying buffs.

Tonight I was flying a formation of B-24s to an enemy base at about 23k when I was engaged by a spit and a 109k. The spit couldn't climb to me and broke off at about 5k out. The 109K came in and shot down two in my formation. I got a message stating that player XXX shot me down. I hit him a few times at 23k on a pass above me. About a half a minute later, probably less than that, I noticed on the text buffer that the same player flying the 109k that had shot down two in my formation had landed 2 kills. How is it possible that this guy managed to land from 23k in his 109k in that short of a time? There were no other planes at all around me. Has this happened to anybody else?

Offline Simba

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
Re: Landing kills question
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009, 11:21:13 PM »
Yes. One afternoon I was flying a Seafire well out to sea and lost a fight with a Tempest at about 15k. I noticed who'd got me as I bailed out. Rather less than two minutes later, the Tempest pilot landed two kills. Unless that Tempest was supersonic and fitted with airbrakes to instantly scrub off the excess in the landing circuit, there was absolutely no way it could have reached a friendly airfield in that time. There were no enemy CVs in the area either, so he couldn't have pulled that one.

But same here, no film to prove it - and who cares if they're beaten by a cheat? Buff on!

:cool:
Simba
No.6 Squadron vRFC/RAF

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2009, 11:24:34 PM »
nose down to the deck and you wil be surprised how fast you can get a plane on the runway.

Offline bravoa8

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2009, 11:31:23 PM »
One time I was hoing a N1K with my Seafire I had 2 kills I think I was about 300 ft he knocked my wing of and i bailed and when my pilot hit the ground i landed them. :lol

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2009, 11:32:18 PM »
Makes you wonder why someone would need to land that quick. "MUST LAND NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWW!!!!"  :lol

Offline Simba

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2009, 11:47:24 PM »
Funniest landing I ever saw in AH was one our Duxford Wing boys. He was flogging his shot-up Spitfire home, trying to land three kills but rapidly bleeding to death. He set up for the landing, blacked out just before touchdown, bounced sideways several times, shed his undercarriage and ended up perched on the roof of one of the fighter hangars. He recovered one last time and got the message that 'you have landed successfully'.

:rofl
Simba
No.6 Squadron vRFC/RAF

Offline thorsim

• Parolee
  • Restricted
      • The Luftwhiner Lounge
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2009, 11:50:12 PM »
cross control is your friend
THOR C.O. II ~JG-27~ Afrika-AH
Axis Co-Op
Quote from: any number of idiots here
blah blah Blah
Quote from: oldman
Good call.  Ignore the people who actually flew the real planes against each other.

Offline rvflyer

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2009, 12:12:41 AM »
Yes. One afternoon I was flying a Seafire well out to sea and lost a fight with a Tempest at about 15k. I noticed who'd got me as I bailed out. Rather less than two minutes later, the Tempest pilot landed two kills. Unless that Tempest was supersonic and fitted with airbrakes to instantly scrub off the excess in the landing circuit, there was absolutely no way it could have reached a friendly airfield in that time. There were no enemy CVs in the area either, so he couldn't have pulled that one.

But same here, no film to prove it - and who cares if they're beaten by a cheat? Buff on!

:cool:

Sure there was not a CV out there he could have landed on?
Tour 70 2005 to present

Offline RedDg

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2009, 07:37:15 AM »
Yep, I've set my shot-up jug down on a cv in a pinch.

Offline maddafinga

• Silver Member
      • The Musketeers Squadron
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2009, 08:09:11 AM »
Or a Vbase even.
madda
The Musketeers Squadron
http://www.musketeers.org/
When the Dude is recognized in the World, Undudeness is seen everywhere... Dude De Ching
http://dudeism.com/tao/

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2009, 09:08:02 AM »
From 23k I can land my 38 J in very little time.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 10:13:50 AM by Shuffler »
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline shiv

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2009, 09:16:40 AM »
Trust me, he legitimately landed those kills.  As someone pointed out you can scrub a lot of E very quickly by cross controlling   Then you belly in without mucking about with gear, etc.

Also, humans are not very good at timing things to the second.  It was probably more than half a minute after he got you and when he landed.  I  remember bellyaching on range about a P47M i had shot that was on fire for "over 3 minutes."  Checked the film: 82 seconds. 

You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike.

Offline A8HatTrick

• Copper Member
      • YouTube
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2009, 09:35:56 AM »
cross control is your friend
exactly, you cross up the controls and drop flaps, you can go from 23K to 0 in a hurry without compression and kill that speed in a last minute flair out and put her right down.
A8HatTrick flying WWII sims since 1992
Aces and 8's A8's http://a8s.us aka A8hatrik
-htrk- War Birds Beta .07 thru 2.1
-=Old Farts=- War Birds "Yo Frodo!"
No 308(Polish)Squadron RAF "City of Cracow"  "Yo fdski!"

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2009, 09:36:31 AM »
Also, humans are not very good at timing things to the second.  It was probably more than half a minute after he got you and when he landed.  I  remember bellyaching on range about a P47M i had shot that was on fire for "over 3 minutes."  Checked the film: 82 seconds.

qft. thats why autorecording is a good idea, many times ive seen things which look very dodgy inflight only to review the film later and see that it was only my perception of the fight that was wrong...
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2009, 11:22:07 AM »
From 23k I can land my 38 J in very little time.

yes..."land".... :D
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.