Author Topic: Gunnery  (Read 2521 times)

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
Re: Gunnery
« Reply #45 on: December 07, 2009, 07:59:09 AM »
Silat hit a B24 4 times with the 40 from a 163. No damage at all.

Folks I'm hearing problems from are pointing at the change concerning kills.
I shot a few rounds of 50s into a spit today and pulled off. I saw another friendly blow his wing off... I got the kill. That makes no sense.
Based on that I suggest folks just shoot each bird a few times to save ammo. Let someone else destroy the con.

i just had this happen last night in mw. spit bnz'in a friendly, so i drop in on them. the green guy had put a few rounds in him. on my 2nd pass, i tore his wing off, and watched him spiral in(and yes, the dude rode it all the way down). i got an assist.

for the b24 thing.......i think they've gotten easier to kill, but not sure. just before this major update, i was igniting them easily in the 38. this is rare, as i generally find it harder to kill bombers than i do fighters.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #46 on: December 07, 2009, 08:34:41 AM »
Had to use over 200 cannon rounds from an La5, several times to take down F4Fs.  Most shots from less than D200.  Shots that would normally kill people (canopy hits from a spit at convergence) only gave the little black puffy smoke.  However, if someone else took the plane down after the puffy black smoke incidents, I would get the kill.
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #47 on: December 07, 2009, 09:40:39 AM »
Had to use over 200 cannon rounds from an La5, several times to take down F4Fs.  Most shots from less than D200.  Shots that would normally kill people (canopy hits from a spit at convergence) only gave the little black puffy smoke.  However, if someone else took the plane down after the puffy black smoke incidents, I would get the kill.

i had a guy....joecrow......tends to warp a lot...not his fault though......but he took me down last night in a single burst....less than a second.

on the other hand, i've been seeing rounds going everywhere 'cept where i want them.

took me a good 3 bursts to get slapshot, and he was friggin AFK!! 

and slap....i really DID feel bad when you told me that you were afk. <<S>>
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #48 on: December 07, 2009, 09:52:37 AM »

took me a good 3 bursts to get slapshot, and he was friggin AFK!! 

Whats your address?  I ll send you a 6pack for that  :D
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #49 on: December 07, 2009, 12:07:59 PM »
Cap1 pardon me sir, but if your sneaking up on an A6m in his blind spot why would you shoot at 350?
Roll on up until your at 200 and can't miss, then rip a wing off and zoom back up.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #50 on: December 07, 2009, 12:12:23 PM »
Cap1 pardon me sir, but if your sneaking up on an A6m in his blind spot why would you shoot at 350?
Roll on up until your at 200 and can't miss, then rip a wing off and zoom back up.

i got a little over-anxious. didn't want to give him anymore time to see me. it was looking like the perfect ambush.

at 350 though, i should've torn him a new......uumm...well.......he shoulda been a roman candle at that distance in one burst......
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #51 on: December 07, 2009, 12:42:09 PM »
Not to mention a pair of V-1710s make a lot of noise.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #52 on: December 07, 2009, 01:51:04 PM »
Not to mention a pair of V-1710s make a lot of noise.

funny you should say that........with a closure rate of over 100 mph, i DID pull the throttles to idle as i climbed back up to him. just in case he was listening.  :rofl :bolt: :noid
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #53 on: December 07, 2009, 02:08:40 PM »
i got a little over-anxious. didn't want to give him anymore time to see me. it was looking like the perfect ambush.

at 350 though, i should've torn him a new......uumm...well.......he shoulda been a roman candle at that distance in one burst......

Don't feel bad the other night, I dropped on a AFK 190,  :rofl totally missed my shot, ripped my wing off on the collision :rofl he flew away without damage and got my kill :rofl

on a side note I took out that 38 you like so much, got 6 killz in two sorties with her. she is quite nice in the vertical :D
I may find myself in her more often!!

Offline BiPoLaR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #54 on: December 07, 2009, 02:16:30 PM »
Ill be honest, my aim has always been the death of me. I could set the shots up but always miss. Grizz and i have worked together in the DA the past few weeks. And my aim is on point. Its all about the angle :aok
R.I.P. T.E.Moore (Dad) 9-9-45 - 7-16-10.
R.I.P. Wes Poss  (Best Friend) 11-14-75 - 5-2-14

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #55 on: December 07, 2009, 05:37:49 PM »
i don't think 200 is necessary for anything with 6x 50cal or larger. at that range the dispersion or spread of the gun isn't as big and the target is larger which equals more hits. especially with cannons or a jugs 8x 50cals can be set out at 400 and still maintain great effectiveness inside 400.
now if you set your 8x 50cals at 200 then your 400yd shot will not do much at all.

when i fly the ki84 i set the cannons and mgs at 325 and 400 and fire them at their respective range. i only fire all guns when it's a sure shot.

I set it at 200 because I fire at 200. 
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
« Reply #56 on: December 07, 2009, 06:25:33 PM »
Ill be honest, my aim has always been the death of me. I could set the shots up but always miss. Grizz and i have worked together in the DA the past few weeks. And my aim is on point. Its all about the angle :aok

Just out of curiosity, did you ever find a scaling arrangement that seemed to help with the gunnery thing?
MtnMan

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not". Thomas Jefferson

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #57 on: December 07, 2009, 06:34:07 PM »

Don't feel bad the other night, I dropped on a AFK 190,  :rofl totally missed my shot, ripped my wing off on the collision :rofl he flew away without damage and got my kill :rofl

on a side note I took out that 38 you like so much, got 6 killz in two sorties with her. she is quite nice in the vertical :D
I may find myself in her more often!!

yep.......she is sweet in the vertical. i've finally been getting it through my thick skull to NOT try to do a flat turn. i use combinations of hi and low yoyos now, in order to keep with those little wiggly things. i still die, but it takes em much longer to kill me now. sometimes, they even need help. soon, maybe they'll need 3+ to get me.  :neener:

my very first experience with compression wasn't in a p38 though. it was in a p40.

back when i refused to switch sides, eny was so damned high, i couldn't get anything more than a p40.

so i was toolin 'round at around 14k, gettin a feel for her......low and behold, there's a set of ju88's at about 8k. i roll in, point my nose a little ahead of em, and firewall it. when the speed feels good, i back off a little. take my shot....missed, 'cause nothing worked when i tried to correct.....flew right through them, into the side of the mountain.  :rofl :rofl :rofl :airplane:
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #58 on: December 07, 2009, 06:35:54 PM »

like i said earlier......given time to aim, i'll hit nothing but air. fly across in front of me, or wiggle around a lot, and you're gonna taste the sting of those 50's.

one thing i've been noticing lately, is that often, i forget the rudder to keep my nose down in  a turn, causing me to miss high.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #59 on: December 07, 2009, 07:28:24 PM »
I've hit almost every tree I shot at the last couple of days.

I'm now ready to be shot down.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)