Author Topic: Puff ack  (Read 1029 times)

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
Re: Puff ack
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2009, 03:50:21 PM »
I can take a 262 to 20k fly over a CV at 550 mph and die almost every time (or sustain major damage). I can take lancs over a CV at 250 mph at 7 to 10k and never be hit. Ive done it too many times to know

I would stick with the Lancs then.  Sounds like 262's aren't your cup of tea.   :joystick:

From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline BigKev03

• Copper Member
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2009, 07:28:10 PM »
An easy solution to this would be to make puffy ack work both ways, i.e. it can damage friendly aircraft as well.  I dont recall any film reels from WWII where you had frinedly aricraft flying in the ack from the carrier group.  The CAP was well beyond the range of ack and the ack was actually a last resort.  I think it would be a good if you had to think twice about running into the ack of a carrier group.  Then again I can hear all the complaining now.

BigKev

Offline Nemisis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Fightin 49'ers
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2009, 07:33:16 PM »

It should be lowered to 0k... I dont know of a minimum altitude restriction on AAA can you cite one?

Well logic says that if you have alt fuses (IDK what the auto guns use. It seems varied at times) set for 50 ft then your gona be shooting yourself in the foot as far as casualties go (blast/shrapnel will kill some of your gun crew).
All man needs to be happy is a home, his wife, and a place in the world

Col. 49Nem, Armor commander of the 49th

Offline stroker71

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2009, 07:41:37 PM »
An easy solution to this would be to make puffy ack work both ways, i.e. it can damage friendly aircraft as well.  I dont recall any film reels from WWII where you had frinedly aricraft flying in the ack from the carrier group.  The CAP was well beyond the range of ack and the ack was actually a last resort.  I think it would be a good if you had to think twice about running into the ack of a carrier group.  Then again I can hear all the complaining now.

BigKev

The auto puffy ack does damage friendly AC.  Even the auto AA guns can damage friendly AC. 

+1 for this subject. 

DuHasst
Back to DuHasst
Here since tour 84
Quote by Uptown "It's one thing to play the game...quite another to live there."

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2009, 07:50:51 PM »
The puffy ack adds nothing to game play, only deters.  It kills fighters, friendlies, and only lightly damages bombers, the actual threat.  The entire thing should be removed, it's pointless, all it does is piss everybody off.

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2009, 08:26:44 PM »
Have to agree, remove it until something is fixed, they kept making these work arounds (lighter damage, but more puffy, etc) but it didn't help and made it worse, it still does not take bombers down.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Nemisis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Fightin 49'ers
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2009, 09:03:37 PM »
IDK about that spikes. My squadie got his 234 shot down by puffy ack. Unless there was a fleet 50 miles inland then it wasn't a 5" from a CV.
All man needs to be happy is a home, his wife, and a place in the world

Col. 49Nem, Armor commander of the 49th

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2009, 10:01:34 PM »
The puffy ack adds nothing to game play, only deters.  It kills fighters, friendlies, and only lightly damages bombers, the actual threat.  The entire thing should be removed, it's pointless, all it does is piss everybody off.

werbies do nothing but deter people from vulching the field.  lets get rid of them too  :devil.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2009, 10:04:12 PM »
werbies do nothing but deter people from vulching the field.  lets get rid of them too  :devil.

semp

Hehe, wirbies have lots of use and are fun. 

The puffy ack is completely worthless for gameplay.  The 5'' is what saves the carrier, the puffy ack just shoots random fighters out of the sky nowhere near the carrier.  It's a complete joke.  A whine has been recorded.

Offline BigKev03

• Copper Member
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2009, 10:16:24 PM »
The auto puffy ack does damage friendly AC.  Even the auto AA guns can damage friendly AC. 

+1 for this subject. 

DuHasst

I must be very lucky then as I have never been hit by friendly puffy ack.  I assume that is because the ack was concentrating on the enemy planes nearby???

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2009, 01:46:58 PM »
if you get close enough to a plane the puffy ack will get both of you.  it has happened to me several times.  I even have a film that i"ll try to dig up.  puffy ack deters vulching the cv and should really stay  :D.

semp

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2009, 08:55:31 PM »
puffy ack deters vulching the cv and should really stay  :D.
semp

I thought the 20 some-odd ack guns and 5'' deterred vulching...

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2009, 12:45:24 AM »
I thought the 20 some-odd ack guns and 5'' deterred vulching...
[/quote

what I mean is somebody flying 5k over the cv waiting for the oportunity to dive :)

semp

Offline BiPoLaR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2009, 07:10:30 AM »

what I mean is somebody flying 5k over the cv waiting for the oportunity to dive :)

semp

<facepalm>

still dont get it do you?
R.I.P. T.E.Moore (Dad) 9-9-45 - 7-16-10.
R.I.P. Wes Poss  (Best Friend) 11-14-75 - 5-2-14

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2009, 11:58:30 AM »
if you get close enough to a plane the puffy ack will get both of you.  it has happened to me several times.  I even have a film that i"ll try to dig up.  puffy ack deters vulching the cv and should really stay  :D.

semp

Puffy ack does not a thing to deter vulching. It does not effect anyone under 3000 feet. Last time I checked, you have to be a little lower than that to vulch. What puffy ack deters are dogfights around the CV, since it is now untenable to let a CV live in the vicinity of the fight.
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."