Author Topic: Plane vs Plane Tactics (Matchups)  (Read 30113 times)

Offline HellFire

• Copper Member
Plane vs Plane Tactics (Matchups)
« on: December 08, 2009, 08:39:29 PM »
Greetings  :)

The purpose of this query is specific to individual planes fighting AGAINST the F4U-1A, not talking about furballs, just how each plane listed below fares against the hog, man to man, individually:

F4U vs P38: found this to be a very iffy situation, the win could go either way, a difficult proposition, pilot skill a determining factor.

F4U vs P40?
   F4U vs spit9 or spit16?
   F4U vs BF109s?
   F4U vs FW 190D?
   F4U vs Ki84
   F4U vs P51

Corsair experts are invited to add their opinions, experiences & skills,
your treatises PLUS FILMS are requested, in fact, encouraged.  Thx .
"In life there is certain death, and between life and death
  there is a journey, hence in truth nothing is lost in death."

Offline Bosco123

• Gold Member
Re: Plane vs Plane Tactics (Matchups)
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2009, 08:42:49 PM »
Here's what I think:

P38 wins with E, F4U wins with turning ability
P40 wins.
F4u Wins.
109 wins E, F4U turn
F4U
Ki84
F4U
Skifurd AKA "Bosco"
Unmanned Aerial Systems (UAS) Operator
United States Marine
"Stay ahead of the game, Stay ahead of the plane."

Offline sandwich

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 08:45:02 PM »
1) As you said could go either way.
2)F4U
3)F4U
4)F4U
5)F4U
6)F4U
7) Close fight but I'm swinging towards the F4U
8)F4U

Offline kilo2

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2009, 09:09:18 PM »
I'll add one the la-7, flying in this plane I have hard times with the f4u.
X.O. Kommando Nowotny
FlyKommando.com

"Never abandon the possibility of attack."

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2009, 12:16:57 AM »
Depends on who is piloting But I'd lean towards the F4 in each one of those matchups

(edit) although. Given equal skill levels in each of the panes. there are several which would end up in a non fight or a draw if each flew strictly to the planes best abilities and didnt play the other ones game.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 12:21:10 AM by DREDIOCK »
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline thorsim

• Parolee
  • Restricted
      • The Luftwhiner Lounge
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2009, 12:21:03 AM »
Here's what I think:

P38 wins with E, F4U wins with turning ability
P40 wins.
F4u Wins.
109 wins E, F4U turn
F4U
Ki84
F4U

:O :huh
THOR C.O. II ~JG-27~ Afrika-AH
Axis Co-Op
Quote from: any number of idiots here
blah blah Blah
Quote from: oldman
Good call.  Ignore the people who actually flew the real planes against each other.

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2009, 12:50:39 AM »
:O :huh

Corsairs have light effective lift loadings. The things are known to have out-turned Yaks in combat, so what is ridiculous about them out-turning 109s? Deal with it.

Although in point of fact the 109s will sustain a superior rate of turn. Failure to know the implications of rate vrs. radius, sustained vs. instantaneous, and nose-to-tail vs. nose-to-nose are how the Corsairs have gained a reputation for being able to out-turn "everything".
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 12:52:45 AM by BnZs »
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline Stormdag

• Zinc Member
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2009, 01:28:53 AM »
Yeah what he said ^.  I would take the F4U1A almost every fight, however I believe if you are well versed in what they can do, you can get even the best pilots to make a mistake.  I flew this hog for a while and loved its style, however, Joker may attest(or not) the 109 k4 did have an edge that I thought was surprising, of course the fact that the kill shot is 1 30mm rather than several other round types is a considerable advantage, maybe some of it was luck. But if you can get a guy to throw out his flaps too early you maybe able to slide over the top and come down with some success.  :salute
Who is Skyyr?
Why are there so many Bish?
And what the hell is RuAmL smoking?

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2009, 07:24:24 AM »
Of that list the only opponent I really find to be of much concern is the Ki-84. The P-38 matches well, but more often than not the F4U should win. I'd LOVE to here Bosco's reasoning for picking the P-40 over the F4U, tho.

You should really be more specific about the 109s, though. While you can fight an F4U-1A much the same as you would any of the 1-series Hogs, fighting a 109K is nothing like fighting the F.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 07:25:56 AM by Saxman »
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline thorsim

• Parolee
  • Restricted
      • The Luftwhiner Lounge
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2009, 07:56:46 AM »
Corsairs have light effective lift loadings. The things are known to have out-turned Yaks in combat, so what is ridiculous about them out-turning 109s? Deal with it.

Although in point of fact the 109s will sustain a superior rate of turn. Failure to know the implications of rate vrs. radius, sustained vs. instantaneous, and nose-to-tail vs. nose-to-nose are how the Corsairs have gained a reputation for being able to out-turn "everything".

yea another example of how great a plane performs near its stall speed when it doesn't need to worry about stalling anymore ...  

some day the excuses will stop and the questions will start around here ...

Axis Co-Op
blah blah Blah
Good call.  Ignore the people who actually flew the real planes against each other.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2009, 07:58:42 AM »
yea another example of how great a plane performs near its stall speed when it doesn't need to worry about stalling anymore ...  

some day the excuses will stop and the questions will start around here ...

Prove it.   Oh wait, you still only make asinine comments and have no substantiated proof/facts to back them up.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2009, 08:32:37 AM »
Greetings  :)

The purpose of this query is specific to individual planes fighting AGAINST the F4U-1A, not talking about furballs, just how each plane listed below fares against the hog, man to man, individually:

F4U vs P38: found this to be a very iffy situation, the win could go either way, a difficult proposition, pilot skill a determining factor.

F4U vs P40?
   F4U vs spit9 or spit16?
   F4U vs BF109s?
   F4U vs FW 190D?
   F4U vs Ki84
   F4U vs P51

Corsair experts are invited to add their opinions, experiences & skills,
your treatises PLUS FILMS are requested, in fact, encouraged.  Thx .

How can you tell?  I can kill F4Us in any of those planes with ease (cept the D9, thats for picking only  :lol) and have killed all these planes in an F4U.  Unless you could fight yourself you could not tell.  Even then, your style may skew the results since it maybe better fitting for one of the planes.

Pilot is the determining factor
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline thorsim

• Parolee
  • Restricted
      • The Luftwhiner Lounge
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2009, 08:33:59 AM »
Prove it.   Oh wait, you still only make asinine comments and have no substantiated proof/facts to back them up.

why don't you prove it ...

outside of the video game i mean ...

after all i've been waiting on one real world account for this general argument for what 3 or 4 tours now?

posted threads on other BBS where you guys get squashed with these "arguments" ...

posted videos of pilots who have flown multiple types that completely contradict your "facts" ...

i just want to see one or two pilots of these planes saying that the turn favors the hog or
even that the hog would be close vs. a 109.

there is a reason things seem counterintuitive, usually they are highly unlikely ...

like a hog out turning a 109 ...

in the real world    

« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 08:52:55 AM by thorsim »
Axis Co-Op
blah blah Blah

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2009, 08:49:24 AM »
Bearing in mind that the pilots have a huge effect on outcome, here is my thoughts assuming all things equal:

F4U vs P40?
   F4U vs spit9 or spit16?
   F4U vs BF109s?
   F4U vs FW 190D?
   F4U vs Ki84
  F4U vs P51

CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2009, 08:52:05 AM »
why don't you prove it ...

outside of the video game i mean ...

after all i've been waiting on one real world account for this general argument for what 3 or 4 tours now?

posted threads on other BBS where you guys getting squashed with these "arguments" ...

posted videos of pilots who have flown multiple types that completely contradict your "facts" ...

i just want to see one or two pilots of these planes saying that the turn favors the hog or
even that the hog would be close vs. a 109.

there is a reason things seem counterintuitive, usually they are highly unlikely ...

like a hog out turning a 109 ...

in the real world    

Get you information on whatever plane your looking at and send it in to HiTech. If the info is from a good source they will adjust the plane accordingly in one of the patches.

I know folks have told you this before... I have myself in earlier posts. As far as I know at this point your posts regarding this have all been wishful thinking on your part.

No one has to post any info here... the planes aqre all based on information attained by HiTech through differing sources. From time to time they do make adjustments if better info is aquired. I'm sure you have info to back your posts otherwise you'd not be saying what you are saying. I mean only an idiot would do that. Send that info, hilighting what you are talking about, to HiTech. They may contact you for clarification or to find where that info came from. They do take it seriously.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)