Author Topic: Submarines  (Read 1509 times)

Offline AAJagerX

• Gold Member
Re: Submarines
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2009, 03:28:11 PM »
Subs would be cool if there were more types (and larger) battle groups/landing groups/supply convoys...  Don't see that happening for quite some time.  My .02
AAJagerX - XO - AArchAAngelz

trainers.hitechcreations.com

Offline ttflier

• Copper Member
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2009, 04:13:03 PM »
+1
Tree Top Flier (ttflier)

http://www.91stbombgroup.net

"Bush league pilots just can't get the job done" lyrics by Stephen Stills

Offline minke

• Nickel Member
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2009, 04:20:03 PM »
+1

spawning a Ko-hyoteki class sub from the pt spawn would be cool. Add a destroyer or light cruiser to the cv group equipped with depth charges and you got some intense fightin going on

Offline curry1

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2009, 11:53:27 PM »
Subs would be cool if there were more types (and larger) battle groups/landing groups/supply convoys...  Don't see that happening for quite some time.  My .02
Wow! you stole my avatar.
Curry1-Since Tour 101

Offline Templar

• Copper Member
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2009, 01:17:12 AM »
+1.  Agreed that it would be a major addition and would require all sorts of additional balancing factors.  But innovation in the pursuit of the continuing evolution of this product is what hitech is all about.  As far as speeds and distances are concerned, its not a real issue when you consider that we have players driving tanks all the way to the new strat cities to blow them up with tank rounds.  And, if the slow and stealthy stalk is not your method.....fly a plane.  I see the submarine as a good means of port defense against carriers, especially when friendly air cover is too far out to be effective. In addition....I wanna get my hands on one of those japanese subs that transported and launched airplanes....can you say sneak attack? Muhahaha  :devil
Muhahahahhaa

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2009, 09:26:57 AM »
Soooo...now some of you guys are thinking change the game name from Aces High to....what...WWII online? Some of these wishlist posts lately look like they belong in another game's forums.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline Templar

• Copper Member
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2009, 10:31:45 PM »
Hitech's stated intent is to develop and focus on one quality product for its customers. My understanding is that the wishlist forum for this game is supposed to provide Hitech with a professional and reasonable method for receiving the wishes of its customers while encouraging interaction amongst those customers in a respectful environment.  To access this forum and complain because people are actually using it for its intended purpose is disrespectful to the paying customers who actually want to interact with each other and the development team who set up this forum for exactly that intertaction.  With respect sir, Instead of complaining about the legitimate wishes of the customers on this forum why don't you join another discussion group?   :salute
Muhahahahhaa

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2009, 11:18:04 PM »
With some small modicum of respect, I don't see a legitimate "wish" on this thread. If the water war part of this game was that big of a deal to HTC the existing ships would be a lot better modeled, and have a more detailed level of control. In light of the fact that neither is the case nor has it been in the long life of Aces High as well as its predecessors, it should be very clear to see, there is not and has not been any intent on increasing the viability of ship warfare in an air war game.

As "fun" as it may sound, think about all of the other factors that need to be worked on in this air war game before attempting to introduce a more complex sea war element (i.e. key planes that are missing as well as ground vehicles that would add more to the game than a submarine). And I guarantee that if such an element as a submarine were introduced, there would be a mass of complaints about what is wrong with the model and focus would be diverted from the very meat of this game, WWII Air Combat.

Thank you Templar...
jarhed  

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2009, 02:12:35 AM »
With some small modicum of respect, I don't see a legitimate "wish" on this thread. If the water war part of this game was that big of a deal to HTC the existing ships would be a lot better modeled, and have a more detailed level of control. In light of the fact that neither is the case nor has it been in the long life of Aces High as well as its predecessors, it should be very clear to see, there is not and has not been any intent on increasing the viability of ship warfare in an air war game.

As "fun" as it may sound, think about all of the other factors that need to be worked on in this air war game before attempting to introduce a more complex sea war element (i.e. key planes that are missing as well as ground vehicles that would add more to the game than a submarine). And I guarantee that if such an element as a submarine were introduced, there would be a mass of complaints about what is wrong with the model and focus would be diverted from the very meat of this game, WWII Air Combat.

Thank you Templar...

its a wish, think of it as the b29 thread.  would be cool to have but it aint gonna happen yet.  btw there's no such thing as legitimate  or illegitimate wishes.  a wish is a wish  :D.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2009, 02:49:11 AM »
a wish is a wish  :D.

semp
Yeah I keep forgetting, it's Christmas time...  :banana:
jarhed  

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2009, 04:32:37 AM »
(Image removed from quote.)

Can I have her as my dive officer?

Hilda is dead, and here's something to note. You can't bury her at sea, 'cause her bosoms will float.

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Online The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2009, 09:45:49 AM »

Thank you Templar...

Heaven forbid anyone suggest something you think is a waste of time. I know you have been on these boards for what.... over 6 months and you must know everything that has been posted and already deigned by HTC so please forgive me if I add my 2 cents.

HT said at a Q&A session at one of the cons that he would like to add submarines. I don't know, maybe it's because his father was a submariner. I don't know, but one way subs could be added and EFFECTIVE would be to have them the same as PTs and their spawns. Having a submarine spawn out and intercept an approaching fleet would be a fun element to add to the game. They could be added as soon as the art work could be done if they didn't have to submerge. And if you wanted to have them submersible, only a couple hundred feet would be needed because we don't have independent ships with depth charges to hunt them down.

As we all know PTs are a waste of time much like all of the vehicles that are added to Aces High as you say, so I'm sure it a real waste of time to wish for something like this.   

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2009, 10:53:28 AM »
Fugitive, since I quit competitive gaming years ago and I work for a living...I don't go to cons so I woudn't know what HiTech said however many years ago. Regardless of how much of my life I've burned playing this game compared to you (as if it really makes any difference), you seem to be overlooking some very important points.

The introduction of submarines would create a large waterfall of subsequent changes that would have to be created and programmed at the same time. To maintain "balance" (and I hate using that word), for every element that is introduced an opposite balancing element would have to be introduced (i.e. add submarine, add depth charges and/or variable depth torpedoes, more controllable surface ships, additional suface vessels, and sonar). How many different country submarines should be introduced? Let's not forget the subsequent need for controllable destroyers and cruisers equipped with depth charges and torpedoes...how many different country surface vessels should be represented? While we're at it, toss some depth charges on the PT boats...but wait there aren't enough open mounting points on the existing PT boats so one or more gun emplacements would have to be removed or the loadouts in the hangar would have to be changeable. Let's not forget people would want to have external view of the submarine while it's underwater...and what's a submarine without a periscope? So toss in the programming of a functional periscope and 3D external view of the submarine then render the water in such a way that it doesn't kill the frame rates...then reprogram the existing water environment so that it's as 3 dimentional as the above water environment. Can't forget the interior of the sub...that's a lot more complex than any plane. Let's not forget the whines that would occur if the submarine were no more controllable than the current carriers...

Considering the plethora of missing aircraft and ground vehicles that have more impact on this game than ships do...where would you like the limited time and resources of the HTC programming staff to be focused...towable artillery...troop transports...sea warfare vessels...WWI aircraft...or the missing planes and ground vehicles that would benefit the several hundred other people who would prefer new planes and tanks over submarines?
jarhed  

Online The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2009, 01:46:43 PM »
Fugitive, since I quit competitive gaming years ago and I work for a living...I don't go to cons so I woudn't know what HiTech said however many years ago. Regardless of how much of my life I've burned playing this game compared to you (as if it really makes any difference), you seem to be overlooking some very important points.

The introduction of submarines would create a large waterfall of subsequent changes that would have to be created and programmed at the same time. To maintain "balance" (and I hate using that word), for every element that is introduced an opposite balancing element would have to be introduced (i.e. add submarine, add depth charges and/or variable depth torpedoes, more controllable surface ships, additional suface vessels, and sonar). How many different country submarines should be introduced? Let's not forget the subsequent need for controllable destroyers and cruisers equipped with depth charges and torpedoes...how many different country surface vessels should be represented? While we're at it, toss some depth charges on the PT boats...but wait there aren't enough open mounting points on the existing PT boats so one or more gun emplacements would have to be removed or the loadouts in the hangar would have to be changeable. Let's not forget people would want to have external view of the submarine while it's underwater...and what's a submarine without a periscope? So toss in the programming of a functional periscope and 3D external view of the submarine then render the water in such a way that it doesn't kill the frame rates...then reprogram the existing water environment so that it's as 3 dimentional as the above water environment. Can't forget the interior of the sub...that's a lot more complex than any plane. Let's not forget the whines that would occur if the submarine were no more controllable than the current carriers...

Considering the plethora of missing aircraft and ground vehicles that have more impact on this game than ships do...where would you like the limited time and resources of the HTC programming staff to be focused...towable artillery...troop transports...sea warfare vessels...WWI aircraft...or the missing planes and ground vehicles that would benefit the several hundred other people who would prefer new planes and tanks over submarines?

Those are things that would be needed if they were building a fully fleshed out Submarine game much as we would need tank killers, artillery, land mines and such if they were building a fully fleshed out tank game. But they are not. They would be adding a small side feature to add in building another opportunity for combat. Adding a sub that was nothing more than a PT boat would give the 5 inchers something else to shoot at, another way for people to shoot at ships, with the deck gun they could shoot at aircraft that was trying to bomb them strait off the CV. All of this just from adding a new "skin" to the PT boats. No one would be fool enough to do searchs for shipping to sink as there are not enough in the game anyway, because its NOT a sea game.

The main focus is aircraft, but HTC is always twisting things to add another element to create combat.

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2009, 01:53:05 PM »
See...now I get your point of view...  :aok  Very interesting idea...submarines as surface vessels...slow as molasses in January too.
jarhed