Author Topic: Functional Joystick/Throttle/Chair setup??  (Read 2462 times)

Offline Koendog

• Zinc Member
      • 332nd Flying Mongrels
Functional Joystick/Throttle/Chair setup??
« on: December 13, 2009, 12:38:54 PM »
Im in the market for a new joystick/throttle combo, likely to be the X52 setup. Im looking for ideas how to set it up...

Where do you have the joystick? On a desk to your right, on the seat??
Where do you have the throttle?
What kind of chair do you use?  :airplane:

Pictures of your setup would be most helpful, just looking for some ideas and what works best...what provides realism, etc. Thanks in advance.
In-game name: Geo

"That wasn't flying, that was falling...with style."

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Re: Functional Joystick/Throttle/Chair setup??
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2009, 12:49:37 PM »
Mine might be a bit overboard   :D

Mines all CH Products, stick, throttle, and pedals. The seat is an 8 way powered seat (yes the electrics work) from a Chrysler Cordoba.... leather of course  :P
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 12:51:42 PM by The Fugitive »

Offline Jayhawk

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2009, 12:58:21 PM »
Nothing Like That! /\

I don't have anything special set-up on mine, definitely nothing like realism.  Throttle on the left, joystick on the right.  I don't secure the joysticks down, they have little suction cups that I suppose provide a little stronger base but for the most part it stays in place.  I like to be able to slide them up out of my way when not in use.  I rest my elbows on my desk as I play.  My chair is just a cheap Office Depot one.  Overall it's about as simple as you can get, but it's sufficient for me.
LOOK EVERYBODY!  I GOT MY NAME IN LIGHTS!

Folks, play nice.

Offline Koendog

• Zinc Member
      • 332nd Flying Mongrels
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2009, 01:13:54 PM »
 :aok Awesome setup Fugitive, maybe someday...LOL

Jay...where do you put the throttle on the left? I can do the joystick on the right, but dont really have anyplace for the throttle on the left.

Offline Jayhawk

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2009, 01:25:39 PM »
Well my desk is roughly 60"x24".  pretty big.  So if you scoot your chair up to the desk, put your elbows on your desk in a comfortable manner, then just kind of lay them down, that's where I put the throttle and joystick.  I guess they are usually just on either side of my keyboard, I can transition between joysticks and keyboard quickly.

Folks, play nice.

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2009, 07:19:31 PM »

« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 07:21:42 PM by mtnman »
MtnMan

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not". Thomas Jefferson

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2009, 07:39:20 PM »
Not the best picture, its basicly an inverted U shape, There is a hinged flap that holds the pedals. An angled board for keyboard. Stick mounts on the right, throttle, and accessorys on the left.

From a different Angle.

TY Tildeath for taking and hosting the pictures. <S>
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 07:41:03 PM by Ghosth »

Offline Jayhawk

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2009, 07:46:04 PM »
That's pretty clever mtnman, simple and functional.  I assume it's pretty comfortable.  Wires ever get in the way.

Folks, play nice.

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2009, 08:20:03 PM »
That's pretty clever mtnman, simple and functional.  I assume it's pretty comfortable.  Wires ever get in the way.

No, I just run the wires under my legs.  I actually have three screw-eyes running along the front edge of the bottom board, to run them through. 

I had some issues with my neck and shoulders form too many hours playing the game with a poor ergonomic set-up.  Big improvements for me were getting the monitor up to eye level, and allowing my elbows to be supported by the armrests.  Putting the stick on the desk and holding my arms up for hours on end was doing bad things.

A side benefit was that when I Velcro-ed the stick down, it improved my fine-control.  Pushing forward is "pure" down elevator.  Before, the stick might rotate a few degrees counterclockwise, say, so pushing forward gave me down elevator AND right aileron...

It's a very simple set-up, and very comfortable.  I can even recline!  But that kind of messes with my use of the rudder pedals.  I can still use them, they're just not as comfortable when I'm reclined.
MtnMan

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not". Thomas Jefferson

Offline SPKmes

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2009, 08:23:16 PM »
hahahah I see mtnman even has a violin handy for the grievers (Might not be the worlds smallest but it probably still plays just for them)

Hope you don't have a © on that set up...I'm going home tonight to make one up.....been trying to come up with ways to do that without destroying the chair (recently getting a  seat with arms helps though)
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 08:24:55 PM by SPKmes »

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2009, 08:45:59 PM »
hahahah I see mtnman even has a violin handy for the grievers (Might not be the worlds smallest but it probably still plays just for them)

Hope you don't have a © on that set up...I'm going home tonight to make one up.....been trying to come up with ways to do that without destroying the chair (recently getting a  seat with arms helps though)

The fiddle is for climb-outs, lol.  I multitask!  It's either the fiddle or a book, or making equipment for my birds.  I seldom "only" play the game.  I built the majority of my last gun while flying.

Copyright?  No!  I'd even be willing to give the dimensions of mine, I think it'll fit most chairs.  I just took my chair, stick and throttle to the garage, and scrounged through my scraps (I used to make custom cabinetry, so cobbling this thing together took maybe 20 minutes).
MtnMan

Offline smedddd

• Zinc Member
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2009, 09:04:28 PM »

X52 stick is mounted on an "I-beam" shaped piece of mahogany that goes between my legs.
The throttle (hard to see) is under the keyboard on the left.

<S>, LTARjink

Offline Jayhawk

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2009, 09:21:54 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

X52 stick is mounted on an "I-beam" shaped piece of mahogany that goes between my legs.
The throttle (hard to see) is under the keyboard on the left.

<S>, LTARjink

Did you volunteer to take the attic, or were you sent there?  :lol

Folks, play nice.

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2009, 09:30:29 PM »
Did you volunteer to take the attic, or were you sent there?  :lol

And do you ever bump your head on the camouflaged rafters because they are harder to see then normal rafters?  :bolt:

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline Koendog

• Zinc Member
      • 332nd Flying Mongrels
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2009, 11:12:16 PM »
Ghosth...is that a self standing system that you just slide a chair up to? Or is it attached to the chair itself?

I'd be considering something like the mtnman or Ghosth setup(homemade), any suggestions for building something like this?  :cool: