Author Topic: Mapping the Saitek X52  (Read 6935 times)

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
Mapping the Saitek X52
« on: December 18, 2009, 01:20:52 PM »
I was wondering how people who have been using an X52 for awhile have their stick mapped?  I'm going to have to relearn a new stick anyway, so curious about other folks' ideas.

This is how I map mine.  I'm not sure how bomber/gv friendly it is, I just fly fighters primarily...

The text is small, if I have time later I'll re-do it.

MtnMan

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not". Thomas Jefferson

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
Re: Mapping the Saitek X52
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2009, 08:07:58 PM »
Thanks Mtnman

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline Koendog

• Zinc Member
      • 332nd Flying Mongrels
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2009, 10:34:30 AM »
Thanks, I was going to be asking shortly how everyone has the X52 mapped. This is great!  :cheers:
In-game name: Geo

"That wasn't flying, that was falling...with style."

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2009, 11:50:57 AM »
The key things that I think help me out the most with the way things are mapped are- using the pinky-shift for look up, and especially using the HAT switch on the throttle for flaps and sliding my head left/right.

That makes a huge difference in my ability to quickly/easily keep close tabs on my six.

Using the pinky switch rules out using the SST software though.
MtnMan

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not". Thomas Jefferson

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2009, 08:30:40 PM »
I read in the other thread someone is using the throttle forward detent for WEP and the back detent for engine off...  Does that have to be set up using the Saitek software, I assume?

I haven't yet had a chance to experiment with the new stick, so I'm not sure what I'm getting into as far as getting things programmed...  I really like the idea of the forward throttle detent for WEP though...  I would love to save that button for other uses.

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2009, 08:56:20 PM »
I haven't played with the throttle mapping for WEP and engine off, so I don't know about that.

I initially used the SST Software, and once I figured out how to do it I found it pretty easy.  I prefer not to use it though, so I haven't used it in the last few years.
MtnMan

Offline hyster

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2009, 07:21:12 AM »
this is how i set mine up. i dont use the sst software.
i have the pro but i did have the normal x-52 which was mapped slightly diffrent due to the pro not being able to map the scroll wheal at the back of the throttle.i used that for flaps and the button on it for combat trim on/off

STICK
trig 1 : fire primary
trig 2 : fire global
a : squad vox
b : local vox
c : change weapons
fire : secondary weapons
pinkie : view up  (used with hat gives all views u need)
lower hat : flat views ( hat up = forward - up)
upper hat : up - flaps up down - flaps down -left head down - right head up
t1 : gear up/down
t2 : map
t3 : damage list
t4 : auto hold attitude
t5 : auto level
t6 : auto climb

THROTTLE
slider : zoom in/out
small rotary : rpm
large rotary : ele trim ( needed for mossie furballing if u loose control)
I : toggle zoom
d : wep
e : auto/manual trim
rear hat : head position move flat plane

i have rudder pedals so i dont use the twisty stick. does any1 who has pedals use the twisty stick and if so for what?

Offline Yossarian

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2009, 07:45:24 AM »
Do you have any suggestions for where to map 'Select engine 1', 'Select engine 2' and 'Select all engines'?  I currently have them on the throttle hat switch, but I think I'll change those to what you use (yes, I do love my two-engined planes and hammerheads ;)).
Afk for a year or so.  The name of a gun turret in game.  Falanx, huh? :banana:
Apparently I'm in the 20th FG 'Loco Busters', or so the legend goes.
O o
/Ż________________________
| IMMA FIRIN' MAH 75MM!!!
\_ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Offline Mace2004

• Silver Member
      • TrackIR 4.0
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2009, 08:48:05 AM »
I read in the other thread someone is using the throttle forward detent for WEP and the back detent for engine off...  Does that have to be set up using the Saitek software, I assume?

I haven't yet had a chance to experiment with the new stick, so I'm not sure what I'm getting into as far as getting things programmed...  I really like the idea of the forward throttle detent for WEP though...  I would love to save that button for other uses.
Yes, you can do that through the SST software.  I'll put in every step just in case someone isn't that familiar with mapping things.

Launch the SST profile editor, load up the profile you use and then scroll down to "Throttle" and set it as "Bands".  Now select "Edit Bands" and add three band dividers by clicking on the white window.  You'll now have four separate bands but don't worry about their exact position yet.  Starting at the top band, map it as "P" (for WEP), leave the second band unmapped, map the third is "E" (for engine start/stop) and then leave the bottom band unmapped.  Now slide the upper divider up to 10%, the second divider down to 90% and the third divider to 91%.  Now save the profile, load it, and start AH. 

Pull up the clipboard and go to options/controls/map controllers.  Select your Z axis and make sure it's mapped to "Analog Inputs Throttle 1."  Now select Advanced and move your throttle so that it's somewhere between the upper and lower detent.  Select "Calibrate Axis" and calibrate your throttle but ONLY move it between the upper and lower detents, don't go all the way forward or back, move just till you first feel the detent resistance.  What you're doing is telling AH to give you 100% of your throttle movements between the detents.  Now accept the calibration, pick a plane and start up.

You should have normal throttle control from idle to full power as you move the throttle between the detents.  Once you push past the upper detent (forward) you should get WEP.  When you pull the throttle back through the detent and bring engine power down WEP will be automatically deselected.  When you move the throttle down past the second detent you'll be momentarally hitting the "E" button to shut the engine down and then when you move it forward you'll hit the "E" button again which starts the engine up.

Depending on your throttle you may have to play with the position of the bands in SST and the throttle calibration a bit to get things working smoothly and reliably.  You want to make sure you're getting full power just below the upper detent as WEP will not work if the throttle calibration doesn't give you full power before selecting WEP.  If this is a problem then recalibrate or move the upper band up a little bit.  You do the same with the third band and move it down some if you keep accidentally shutting the engine down inadvertently.

It takes a little while getting used to this set up and it doesn't work well if your detents are worn and weak as you may not feel them in the excitement of a fight.  I've used this with the X52 and X52Pro and like it a lot but I had to disable it when my detent broke on the Pro.  That's the biggest drawback to the X52.  Saitek doesn't make them to last forever but it's a good system for the price.
Mace
Golden Gryphon Guild Mercenary Force G3-MF

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2009, 08:15:10 PM »
Yes, you can do that through the SST software.  I'll put in every step just in case someone isn't that familiar with mapping things.

Launch the SST profile editor, load up the profile you use and then scroll down to "Throttle" and set it as "Bands".  Now select "Edit Bands" and add three band dividers by clicking on the white window.  You'll now have four separate bands but don't worry about their exact position yet.  Starting at the top band, map it as "P" (for WEP), leave the second band unmapped, map the third is "E" (for engine start/stop) and then leave the bottom band unmapped.  Now slide the upper divider up to 10%, the second divider down to 90% and the third divider to 91%.  Now save the profile, load it, and start AH. 

Pull up the clipboard and go to options/controls/map controllers.  Select your Z axis and make sure it's mapped to "Analog Inputs Throttle 1."  Now select Advanced and move your throttle so that it's somewhere between the upper and lower detent.  Select "Calibrate Axis" and calibrate your throttle but ONLY move it between the upper and lower detents, don't go all the way forward or back, move just till you first feel the detent resistance.  What you're doing is telling AH to give you 100% of your throttle movements between the detents.  Now accept the calibration, pick a plane and start up.

You should have normal throttle control from idle to full power as you move the throttle between the detents.  Once you push past the upper detent (forward) you should get WEP.  When you pull the throttle back through the detent and bring engine power down WEP will be automatically deselected.  When you move the throttle down past the second detent you'll be momentarally hitting the "E" button to shut the engine down and then when you move it forward you'll hit the "E" button again which starts the engine up.

Depending on your throttle you may have to play with the position of the bands in SST and the throttle calibration a bit to get things working smoothly and reliably.  You want to make sure you're getting full power just below the upper detent as WEP will not work if the throttle calibration doesn't give you full power before selecting WEP.  If this is a problem then recalibrate or move the upper band up a little bit.  You do the same with the third band and move it down some if you keep accidentally shutting the engine down inadvertently.

It takes a little while getting used to this set up and it doesn't work well if your detents are worn and weak as you may not feel them in the excitement of a fight.  I've used this with the X52 and X52Pro and like it a lot but I had to disable it when my detent broke on the Pro.  That's the biggest drawback to the X52.  Saitek doesn't make them to last forever but it's a good system for the price.

Fantastic Mace, thanks for taking the time to write that up for me.  Really appreciated!

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2009, 08:51:01 AM »
I posted my SST profile so you can try it, although you'll need to do the ah calibration and probably adjust the bands as mace described:

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,280177.msg3533016.html#msg3533016

71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2009, 04:49:09 PM »
I leave button 7 unprogrammed for use with Ventrilo. 27, 28, 29 are the mode switches so i leave 28 empty as a rest position. Its neat to be able to leave the switches on whilst calibrating the bomb site. It allows you to do other stuff while its calibrating. This with no saitek software running...................... ......

« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 04:51:56 PM by Tilt »
Ludere Vincere

Offline wgmount

• Copper Member
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2009, 05:40:58 PM »
only difference between yours and mine mtnman is the "I" and "E" button on throttle is for flaps and the 2 Rotary and slider are for trim of elevators, rudder, and aileron. I fly the F4u most of the time and wanted easy access to trim and flaps.
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands,
hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."- H.L. Mencken

Offline Koendog

• Zinc Member
      • 332nd Flying Mongrels
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2009, 07:55:08 AM »

THROTTLE
slider : zoom in/out
small rotary : rpm
large rotary : ele trim ( needed for mossie furballing if u loose control)
I : toggle zoom
d : wep
e : auto/manual trim
rear hat : head position move flat plane

What is the RPM? I know what RPM is, but not sure what you are controlling in the game.
In-game name: Geo

"That wasn't flying, that was falling...with style."

Offline hyster

• Copper Member
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2009, 09:59:28 AM »
being able to control the rpm and manifold pressure (throttle) i can set the engine fuel performance IE: if im low on fuel i can set the engine to max endurance instead of full power.
hope this is what u were asking
« Last Edit: December 27, 2009, 10:01:10 AM by hyster »