Author Topic: Point Blank Range - Frame 3  (Read 1604 times)

Offline AKP

• Silver Member
Point Blank Range - Frame 3
« on: December 19, 2009, 12:17:41 AM »
Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who flew Frame 3... Allied and Axis alike.  Wont know the outcome until the logs are posted, but I hope everyone had a good time.

It sounded like there were some good fights going on out there for this frame... I know our strike group had some.

And it seemed like the first part of the Frame was going in favor of the Allies, but from what I could tell, the Axis came back strong with a reversal in the second half.  I know Allies took some heavy losses late in the frame.

I learned a lot as my first time as CiC of a frame... had a good time writing the orders, and watching it unfold in the air.

Thanks again everyone.

<S>

AKP
Admin Officer
VF-15 Satan's Playmates II
Allied CiC - Frame 3 PBR
« Last Edit: December 19, 2009, 12:28:16 AM by AKP »

***G3-MF***

Offline AKP

• Silver Member
Re: Point Blank Range - Frame 3
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2009, 07:22:58 AM »
Just looked at the logs... and from what I can tell, my suspicions are confirmed.  Some Allied strike groups fared very well getting to target, and some were hit hard by Axis fighters.  Other groups made it to target, and were then mauled by defenders.

We probably would have fared better not mounting second sorties, because it seems that is when the Axis really turned the tide on us.

A big <S> to all Allied squadrons... it was a tough frame with the new settings and the targets we were assigned.

And a big <S> to all the Axis players too... you guys did really well.

Just a few of the stats:

Allied Pilots: 245
Allied Obj Destroyed: 475
Allied Kills: 102 
Allied Landings: 87

Axis Pilots: 232
Axis Kills: 198
Axis Landings: 118

Was an exciting, and very BLOODY, evening  :)

***G3-MF***

Offline TUK

• Silver Member
      • 13MPG
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2009, 08:58:26 AM »
Well done AKP!  We enjoyed frame 3.. Salute from the WD40.... :salute
CO WD40 (FSO)
Death From Above (DFA) - Main Arena

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2009, 09:50:04 AM »
This new-fangled thing called radar is going to start having a big effect on all-defense operations, and even on mixed assignment setups where both sides have defense objectives, once the CiCs learn how to utilize it. I tried asking several times on command if anyone was going to be acting as a radar director, but I don't think it got any consideration.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2009, 10:12:04 AM »
Loved the new radar.  After I was forced to RTB due to an oil and radiator leak. I spent some time in the tower playing  the part of AWAC.
Not as easy as one would think. Particularly later in the frame after people got separated  and enemy cons in 4 different but neighboring sectors.
Just trying to remember who is where to direct them to the nearest enemy con is a challenge. And sometimes. Even if you get them in the right general area. they still might not see their quarry.

But it was a hell of alot of fun. I hope its like that more often.

Suggestion to those planning offensive operations. Break the groups up into smaller formations coming in from differing directions. Use alot of misdirection and decoy flights. When a group comes in en masse' it becomes very easy to vector large groups of defenders to that area.

Great setup though.Hard to describe it accurately but it combines the elements of regular game play. With a fast moving almost chess like atmosphere

GREAt JOB
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline Jaxxon

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2009, 10:39:53 AM »
This new-fangled thing called radar is going to start having a big effect on all-defense operations, and even on mixed assignment setups where both sides have defense objectives, once the CiCs learn how to utilize it. I tried asking several times on command if anyone was going to be acting as a radar director, but I don't think it got any consideration.

Time to consider turning off the flashing "base alert" if radar is manable and visable from the tower. Just curious, since I didn't check out the radar veiw from the tower, can you see radar blips on the entire map?
« Last Edit: December 19, 2009, 11:28:58 AM by Jaxxon »
"I had found the one thing I loved above all others, to me it wasn't a bussiness or a profession, but a wonderful game".
WA Bishop

Offline Chapel

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2009, 11:16:29 AM »
You could only see contacts within radar rings. Even friendlies weren't visible unless they were flying within a radar ring.
Rolling Thunder

Offline daddog

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.332nd.org
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2009, 11:22:30 AM »
What Chapel said.

I don't know of a way to turn off the 'warning/flashing' base alerts. That is tied to the radar. Once an enemy, (depending on the type of enemy) bombers, fighters, vehicles, is in the radar ring it will start flashing.

Glad you enjoyed it DRED. :)
Noses in the wind since 1997
332nd Flying Mongrels
daddog
Knowing for Sure

Offline dmdchief

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2009, 11:39:51 AM »
So who won point blank range?
HAVE THE COURAGE TO STEP UP AND LEAD AND THE PUBLIC WILL FOLLOW

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.slybirds.com/
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2009, 11:41:05 AM »
I like the new radar dot on the maps foe defensive.  However, will we be seeing the "porking the radars" ahead of the main forces?
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline Stoney

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2009, 12:50:13 PM »
I don't know of a way to turn off the 'warning/flashing' base alerts.

Set warning range to zero...  Its tied to proximity and not the radar I believe.
"Can we be incorrect at times, absolutely, but I do believe 15 years of experience does deserve a little more credence and respect than you have given from your very first post."

HiTech

Offline AKP

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2009, 01:41:13 PM »
Set warning range to zero...  Its tied to proximity and not the radar I believe.

Correct... but perhaps dont set it to zero... maybe 1/2 what the radar range is set at.  That way, radar is important, but your "ground spotters" will still be able to report a base or strat under attack even is dar is taken down.

***G3-MF***

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2009, 01:56:20 PM »
Correct... but perhaps dont set it to zero... maybe 1/2 what the radar range is set at.  That way, radar is important, but your "ground spotters" will still be able to report a base or strat under attack even is dar is taken down.

Agreed since strats have no radar of their own no need to go too nuts with limiting. In fact I don't see the need to adjust warning system regardless of radar.
Just my opinion.

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline AKP

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2009, 01:59:55 PM »
Agreed since strats have no radar of their own no need to go too nuts with limiting. In fact I don't see the need to adjust warning system regardless of radar.
Just my opinion.

Well for this last frame, radar AND warning ranges were bumped out to 15 miles.  If radar had more range than visual warnings, then it would make the radars even more important... but still have the limited back up to the warning range. 

Might be something to try and see how it works.

***G3-MF***

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2009, 02:31:54 PM »
What Chapel said.

I don't know of a way to turn off the 'warning/flashing' base alerts. That is tied to the radar. Once an enemy, (depending on the type of enemy) bombers, fighters, vehicles, is in the radar ring it will start flashing.

Glad you enjoyed it DRED. :)

Best addition I've seen to the game in a long time.
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty