Author Topic: Point Blank Range - Frame 3  (Read 1603 times)

Offline daddog

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.332nd.org
Re: Point Blank Range - Frame 3
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2009, 02:59:55 PM »
So who won point blank range?
Working on the scores today. Will post them tonight or Sunday.

Set warning range to zero...  Its tied to proximity and not the radar I believe.
Rgr Stoney.
Noses in the wind since 1997
332nd Flying Mongrels
daddog
Knowing for Sure

Offline Stoney

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2009, 03:32:33 PM »
Well for this last frame, radar AND warning ranges were bumped out to 15 miles.  If radar had more range than visual warnings, then it would make the radars even more important... but still have the limited back up to the warning range. 

Might be something to try and see how it works.

I always use 8 mile warning range, because, for the most part, that would duplicate a person on the ground "seeing" or "hearing" the aircraft.
"Can we be incorrect at times, absolutely, but I do believe 15 years of experience does deserve a little more credence and respect than you have given from your very first post."

HiTech

Offline 68Wooley

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2009, 06:43:46 PM »
We were having a great night, right up to the bit where we forgot about the new radar settings and had the AK's vectored in on top of us. It went downhill rather quickly after that   :furious:D

New settings are cool - will be interesting to see how we develop tactics to make the most of them.

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2009, 11:03:09 PM »
We had an....interesting night.

Our 163s were waiting on the runway at 46 for word to launch to cover V36. We launched in time to get over the base and saw one or two P-51s skedaddling, my guess after taking down DAR. Unfortunately by the time we found the attack's main body they were already into their dives.

163s just aren't suited for scrapping with jabbo P-47s on the deck. We got four of them but the V-base was leveled. Our losses were one compression and crash, and may have had one shot down after running out of gas. A third was rammed engaging a pair of P-51s after apparently flaming one, but he crashed before the kill was recorded. A fourth I think crashed attempting landing at the V-base.

Had we gone after high-altitude bombers I'm sure we would have fared better.

The best thing about flying those 163s:

Wind layer? WHAT wind layer! :D
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline horble

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2009, 11:31:20 PM »
Time to consider turning off the flashing "base alert" if radar is manable and visable from the tower. Just curious, since I didn't check out the radar veiw from the tower, can you see radar blips on the entire map?

The thing about doing this is that it will force squadrons (or perhaps some people designated by the CIC or something) to have someone watching dar instead of flying.  And since fields are locked after first contact with the enemy, the dar operator will not get a chance to fly.  I don't mind doing it after I inevitably die  :D, but I'd like to get to fly first.

If we can come up with a way for it to work though, I'm all for it.
Kommando Nowotny

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2009, 12:40:28 AM »
The thing about doing this is that it will force squadrons (or perhaps some people designated by the CIC or something) to have someone watching dar instead of flying.  And since fields are locked after first contact with the enemy, the dar operator will not get a chance to fly.  I don't mind doing it after I inevitably die  :D, but I'd like to get to fly first.

Ding ding, we have a winner...  This why I hope FSO doesn't go down this road...

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2009, 06:17:38 AM »
The thing about doing this is that it will force squadrons (or perhaps some people designated by the CIC or something) to have someone watching dar instead of flying.  And since fields are locked after first contact with the enemy, the dar operator will not get a chance to fly.  I don't mind doing it after I inevitably die  :D, but I'd like to get to fly first.

If we can come up with a way for it to work though, I'm all for it.

Could always not volunteer to be the AWACS controller.

I actually enjoyed it. It becomes almost like a chess game. But as I mentioned more difficult then one would think. especially when your unit gets split up.
then you have to try to remember who is where and get them going in the right direction. Which is basically a best guess because you have to lead your people not to where the enemy is. But where you think they are going to be when your people get there. With vis range limited. If your off even a litle bit. They can miss them entirely.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 06:28:05 AM by DREDIOCK »
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline Fencer51

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2009, 05:17:07 PM »
Could always not volunteer to be the AWACS controller.

I actually enjoyed it. It becomes almost like a chess game. But as I mentioned more difficult then one would think. especially when your unit gets split up.
then you have to try to remember who is where and get them going in the right direction. Which is basically a best guess because you have to lead your people not to where the enemy is. But where you think they are going to be when your people get there. With vis range limited. If your off even a litle bit. They can miss them entirely.

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,220122.0.html

Problem solved.
Fencer
The names of the irrelevant have been changed to protect their irrelevance.
The names of the innocent and the guilty have not been changed.
As for the innocent, everyone needs to know they are innocent –
As for the guilty… they can suck it.

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2009, 07:24:43 AM »
http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,220122.0.html

Problem solved.

A solution that shouldnt be implemented though.
Yes it would make it easier to tell who is who. But from a realism/immersion standpoint it would dummy down that aspect of it too much.
Part of the fun is in trying to remember who is where and IRL they wouldnt have been color coded. Hell the two different sides wouldnt even have been color coded.

No I think the color coding for each side is enough. You could tell who was where because their icon lit up as soon as they transmitted on vox. the thing was remembering who was who,where.
 Its perfect the way it is now. Or was in this FSO.
The challenges is what made it fun.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 07:28:04 AM by DREDIOCK »
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline Fencer51

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2009, 10:28:24 AM »
Actually they did have color coding or something similar in WWII.  IFF allowed radar operators to seperate out friendly and enemy aircraft.  It also allowed individual settings for certain situations.

[edit]

Ahh I had forgotten.. "Parrot" and "Squawk"!  How could I forget that.  There were 10 preset codes available which changed every day.  When IFF was requested you were told to "Squawk" your parrot, or to turn it off to "Strangle" your parrot!

Good layout of fighter control over the channel..  http://www.century-of-flight.net/Aviation%20history/WW2/RAF%20Fighter%20Control%20System.htm
« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 10:38:40 AM by Fencer51 »
Fencer
The names of the irrelevant have been changed to protect their irrelevance.
The names of the innocent and the guilty have not been changed.
As for the innocent, everyone needs to know they are innocent –
As for the guilty… they can suck it.

Offline WxMan

• Nickel Member
      • Arabian Knights
« Reply #25 on: December 25, 2009, 03:53:44 PM »
We were having a great night, right up to the bit where we forgot about the new radar settings and had the AK's vectored in on top of us. It went downhill rather quickly after that   :furious:D

New settings are cool - will be interesting to see how we develop tactics to make the most of them.

Actually the radar was porked there, we just happen to have a scout that saw you.  However, after I collided with one of you, I did use the adjacent radar to vector the remaining AK's on your egress.  :devil
AKWxMan
Arabian Knights

"The money you payed earns you nothing. You paid for many hours of entertainment you received, and nothing more." - HiTech

Offline Odee

• Gold Member
      • 49th Fighter Group
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2009, 12:32:59 PM »
Wish I was there.  :cheers:

*Thinks Fencer is secretly the Head Curator for the USAAF Historical Society, and SHEAF Preservation Organization...  Then again, he could just be the Trail Boss and Sheep Wrangler of all times.  One never knows*
 :banana:

HAPPY NEW YEAR, guys!
 :airplane:
~Nobodee~   Get Poached!
Elite: Dangerous ~ Cmd Odeed

http://www.luxlibertas.com/