Author Topic: Aircraft for AH2  (Read 1958 times)

Offline 2ADoc

• Nickel Member
Re: Aircraft for AH2
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2009, 05:33:29 PM »
Scotty just a bit of advise, alot of these guys are really good when it comes to their WWII stuff.  Dont use one source, research, double check, and tripple check.  As much as possible stay away from Wikipedia, there are mistakes in it and these guys, the good ones will catch you.  They have caught me on some mistakes, and I have lived around, flown, and worked on these old birds litterally all my life.  Just be sure to check and double check you facts.  Even Rand Mcnally makes mistakes, I know I found one in their encylopedia of WW2 aircraft when I was 8, Many Many years ago.  SO dont feel bad if they catch a mistake.
Takeoffs are optional, landings aren't
Vini Vedi Velcro
See Rule 4, 13, 14.

Offline warphoenix

• Nickel Member
« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2009, 06:28:40 PM »
guys did you notice the sopwith camel!!! now all we need is the sopwith triplane :lol
P-39 FREAK

B-26 Marauder driver

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2009, 06:31:29 PM »
No we haven't please link us.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline warphoenix

• Nickel Member
« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2009, 06:33:26 PM »
look on the first page on www.flyaceshigh.com
P-39 FREAK

B-26 Marauder driver

Offline Simba

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2009, 08:36:23 PM »
The first aircraft to be manufactured as a dedicated night-fighter for the USAAF was the Douglas P-70, developed from the A-20 Havoc; it was used for training purposes only. The F4U and other US Navy/Marine night-fighters were standard day fighters adapted by being equipped with wing-mounted radar pods. The P-61 Black Widow was the first aircraft type to be designed and built from scratch exclusively as a night-fighter for the USAAF.

:cool:

Simba
No.6 Squadron vRFC/RAF

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2009, 10:53:02 PM »
I researched the K4 awhile back and they came from the factory with the gondie attached,IIRC JG27 were disappointed to see their new K4's arrive with the gondies and promptly removed them!

The wings have the attachment points so I see no reason to not include them in a perked ords pack.

Now were they ever used in combat?? That is something I could not find and I assume the answer to be no,thus the reason they arent available ingame!

I'd like to ask for the source of this claim(if you can remember), because to my knowledge no standard Kurfurst was ever equipped with gondies.

IIRC, the original plan was to come up with Kurfurst sub-types incorporated with onboard armaments as once wielded by early 109s such as the Emil, including provisions for internal installation of either the MG151 or MK108 at the wings. These subtypes would be later designated into minor variants such as K-6 or K-8 or etc... and some ambitious plans would even go so far as to install the experimental MK103 as gondelwaffens. Except there's no evidence suggesting that these versions ever existed outside of paper..

I recall seeing some mock-up or testbed 109s equipped with MK103s and such, but I don't think I've ever seen a K-4 brandishing a gondola under its wings. It'd be nice to know if I missed something.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #36 on: December 23, 2009, 02:45:34 AM »
The first aircraft to be manufactured as a dedicated night-fighter for the USAAF was the Douglas P-70, developed from the A-20 Havoc; it was used for training purposes only. The F4U and other US Navy/Marine night-fighters were standard day fighters adapted by being equipped with wing-mounted radar pods. The P-61 Black Widow was the first aircraft type to be designed and built from scratch exclusively as a night-fighter for the USAAF.

Four P-70 squadrons were deployed to North Africa in 1943 to be part of the 12th AF but when they arrived in Tunisia, the units they were to be apart of received Bristol Beaufighter from England through Reverse Lend Lease.  The 427th Night Figher Squadron took its P-70s with it when it deployed to Italy, but they received P-61s before they became operational and traded in their P-70s.

P-70s saw brief service in the PTO.  The 6th Night Fighter Squadron began operations in February of 1943 with its P-70s from Henderson Field, Guadalcanal and later supported by the 419th Night Fighter Squadron.  The 418th and 421st Night Fighter Squadrons flew out of New Guinea for a short time.  P-70s were replaced as soon as possible when the P-61 came along because of poor performance.  P-70s only have two kills to their credit for the entire war, they just were not capable night fighters, one would be very lucky if it could successfully intercept a Japanese night raider.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: December 23, 2009, 05:20:02 PM »
Kweassa,

I dont recall off hand were I read that,awhile back there was alot of call for 20mm option on K4.

Thats when I was researching it,I'll look around again,I'm sure it's bookmarked somewhere..LOL

I do recall reading either JG53 or JG27 received their new K4's with gondies attached,then promptly removed them. So as soon as I find it I'll shoot you a link,I'll be interested to know if it was hogwash or not.

:salute

corrected typo!
« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 05:38:10 PM by morfiend »

Offline Scotty55OEFVet

• Nickel Member
« Reply #38 on: December 23, 2009, 08:26:51 PM »
Scotty just a bit of advise, alot of these guys are really good when it comes to their WWII stuff.  Dont use one source, research, double check, and tripple check.  As much as possible stay away from Wikipedia, there are mistakes in it and these guys, the good ones will catch you.  They have caught me on some mistakes, and I have lived around, flown, and worked on these old birds litterally all my life.  Just be sure to check and double check you facts.  Even Rand Mcnally makes mistakes, I know I found one in their encylopedia of WW2 aircraft when I was 8, Many Many years ago.  SO dont feel bad if they catch a mistake.

Thank you for your kind words sir.  Like I said, I dont claim to know a lot of the Air War of WW2, but I have studied all things WW2.  The book is an older one and could still be off, maybe the idea was that the K4 was originally equipped with gondies like the other G models but was scrapped in favor of one 30mm for manueverability issues.  Thanks for the comment man.
"War can only be abolished through war...in order to get rid of the gun it is necessary to take up the gun."

RedDevil

Offline curry1

• Gold Member
« Reply #39 on: December 24, 2009, 12:39:05 PM »
I researched the K4 awhile back and they came from the factory with the gondie attached,IIRC JG27 were disappointed to see their new K4's arrive with the gondies and promptly removed them!
 The wings have the attachment points so I see no reason to not include them in a perked ords pack.
 Now were they ever used in combat?? That is something I could not find and I assume the answer to be no,thus the reason they arent available ingame!
   :salute
I didn't read the rest of this thread but from what Morfiend just said about how the gondolas were taken off in the field then isn't the whole k4 field modified and shouldn't be in game?
Curry1-Since Tour 101

Offline Simba

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #40 on: December 24, 2009, 12:53:25 PM »
Thanks for the detailed gen, Ack-Ack, I live 'n' learn still, thanks to peeps like you.

Simba
No.6 Squadron vRFC/RAF

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #41 on: December 24, 2009, 02:33:27 PM »
I didn't read the rest of this thread but from what Morfiend just said about how the gondolas were taken off in the field then isn't the whole k4 field modified and shouldn't be in game?
If no K4s actually flew with the gondolas, then the field mod kinda becomes the standard.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-