Author Topic: Rudder Pedals  (Read 2084 times)

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Re: Rudder Pedals
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2010, 09:34:52 PM »
I'm assuming these pedals slide instead of the old-style (they simply "depress").

A number of folks claim they get the best response putting their feet on the outsides of the pedals and resting the heels on the ground/base-of-pedals-unit, and using their toes to move the pedals. That way you aren't using the entire leg to move it, just the foot, and it might be a bit easier to learn.

EDIT: Goes without saying: no shoes!

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2010, 10:26:08 PM »
Ok time out....I have seen like 5 "no shoe" comments..I play fine with my combat boots on during my lunch break, do these people have CH pedals like I do?
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2010, 10:53:27 PM »
Ok time out....I have seen like 5 "no shoe" comments..I play fine with my combat boots on during my lunch break, do these people have CH pedals like I do?

I'm using Simped

Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2010, 06:08:58 PM »

I'd add another.  I can't fly with shoes on, and I only hook my toes over the heel ridge on the pedals.  I only put my whole foot on for landings (so I can brake).  CH Pro Pedals.
MtnMan

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not". Thomas Jefferson

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2010, 06:50:29 PM »
I use Saitek pedals and put my entire foot on the pedals as intended.  I normally don't fly with shoes on, mostly because I don't wear shoes around the house.  But I do have a pair of driving shoes that are very thin soled and allow for good feel.

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2010, 07:20:41 PM »
Depends on if you have the muscle memory and fine motor control that goes with sliding pedals. Most players do not. Hence the "plant the heel, use the toes" advice, which most of us can do because we drive cars the same way. It's something we can relate to, and if that helps you get from your mind (thinking what you want to input) to the end result (plane flying with that input you wanted in the first place) that's all that matters.

Hell, you could put the pedals on your lap and use your hands, if it got the job done in a way you were comfortable with.

But most gamers here won't recommend that ;)

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2010, 09:22:32 PM »
I use some really old analog CH pedals through a USB adaptor and often have calibration issues.  Sometimes part way through a flight too.  Either the pedals will lock full over to one side, sometimes while taking off and sometimes part way through a flight, or they will only move one way, which I usually notice when I cannot recover from a spin.

My issues are a result of computer "issues", I've had to recalibrate in windows game controllers often recently, or, somehow, the "range" of inputs in game change for me.  The calibration range of numbers switch from 0 - 31000 to 0 - 64000 for some reason and I need to recalibrate in game.

heya wrongway, if your cal range is shifting like you posted, have you took the bottom plate off your rudder pedals and checked the spade connectors to see if they were loose?

back when I had my old gameport/analog type CH stick/throttle/pedals I found that almost every connection to the potentiometers? were very loose....and was causing spiking and losing cal.

I took some wire crimpers and crimped down on each connection .making them very secure/snug...... it was a difference of night & day..was almost like new again by this simple fix........ what I thought was my controllers going bad was just loose connections from many years of use....

just saying....hope this might help.....  goodluck  :salute
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC