Author Topic: Windows 7 Home Premium or Pro?  (Read 3352 times)

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Windows 7 Home Premium or Pro?
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2009, 04:08:53 PM »
I own Win 7 pro on 3 systems and Vista on 4 systems and none of these issues.

Sure, but quite a step down from 100 systems, right? :)
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2009, 04:32:59 PM »
Sure, but quite a step down from 100 systems, right? :)
Yet still that's 7 more systems that he has over Bald that don't have problems.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Irwink!

• Nickel Member
      • http://msn.com
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2009, 04:47:14 PM »
Yet still that's 7 more systems that he has over Bald that don't have problems.

Add to that at some level he has to support the systems he sells as well. That in itself counts for a lot of experience. Been there done that.

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2009, 02:17:09 AM »
XP mode is meant for busineses running old software it can never replace XP as a gaming platform. Keep both so you can play your older games in case they wont work in windows7.

On the other hand if you're not getting a brand new computer do _not_ upgrade from XP. There's simply no reason to do it.

I've had some issues with AH crashing in 64 bit win7 , it could still turn out that it was my own stupid fault when installing AH the first time around...

I went for the Pro because it was the same price with the student upgrade £39 for pro and a disc.  ;)

If you've decided to do it I would agree with what mrripley has said.  No harm in making it dual boot.  If your like me and the only game you really play is AH make a smaller partition.  Backup all your files onto a external or second hard drive and it isn't such a big deal.
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2009, 08:25:34 AM »
nm
« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 08:32:16 AM by BaldEagl »
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Snoop

• Zinc Member
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2009, 11:20:52 PM »
hey guys just wanted to let yall know.... if you have anyone in collage and they have a good email address from the school. they can get windows 7 home p for $30.00.... ,microsoftstudent.com... offer is good until 01/31/2010....

"
You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass."
Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto
"You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass."
Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2009, 06:11:15 AM »
Windows 7 is much better than Vista, especially for laptops.

McAfee and Norton both, are viruses on Vista and Windows 7.  Avoid them like anyone should avoid a virus and your computer will be much better off.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2009, 02:55:47 PM »
General question: Will Windows 7 Pro gives you control over the system's security policy similar to Windows XP Pro?
Get your Daily Dose of Flame!
FlameThink.com
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare.

Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2009, 03:16:00 PM »
Windows 7 is much better than Vista, especially for laptops.

McAfee and Norton both, are viruses on Vista and Windows 7.  Avoid them like anyone should avoid a virus and your computer will be much better off.

Errr retail versions suck, but McAfee *corporate* (8.7i) is the best AV on the planet IMHO with the new Artemis stuff. If you can legitimately lay your hands on 8.7 nothing else comes close, it has a low foot print, it's unobtrusive, it has awesome behavioral blocking, and the best heuristics out there with Artemis enabled.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2009, 03:36:04 PM »
Errr retail versions suck, but McAfee *corporate* (8.7i) is the best AV on the planet IMHO with the new Artemis stuff. If you can legitimately lay your hands on 8.7 nothing else comes close, it has a low foot print, it's unobtrusive, it has awesome behavioral blocking, and the best heuristics out there with Artemis enabled.

Yep, too bad 99.99% of everyone that buys an anti-virus gets it off the shelf or via an OEM and that product is one of the worst there is.  It and Norton are absolutely abysmal.  Too bad too many people are not versed well enough in these products to understand the crap they are.  I guess Norton and McAfee both count on that ignorance.

*Crap, in this context, is defined as high CPU overhead, intrusive and yet ineffective viral detection mechanisms.  And let us not forget how they can manage to leave a computer in a state where only a format and re-installation of the OS is the only effective method of removing them from your computer.  Or hopw they prevent applications from updating config files because they think the legitimate application is a virus, while they allow real viruses to slide on by.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2009, 03:40:33 PM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Anodizer

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2009, 04:39:49 PM »
Yep, too bad 99.99% of everyone that buys an anti-virus gets it off the shelf or via an OEM and that product is one of the worst there is.  It and Norton are absolutely abysmal.  Too bad too many people are not versed well enough in these products to understand the crap they are.  I guess Norton and McAfee both count on that ignorance.

*Crap, in this context, is defined as high CPU overhead, intrusive and yet ineffective viral detection mechanisms.  And let us not forget how they can manage to leave a computer in a state where only a format and re-installation of the OS is the only effective method of removing them from your computer.  Or hopw they prevent applications from updating config files because they think the legitimate application is a virus, while they allow real viruses to slide on by.

Could not agree more....
There is FREE stuff out there that performs loads better than either of these abysmal pieces of "protection"....
I like classy, beautiful, intelligent woman that say the "F" word a lot....

80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2009, 04:48:55 PM »
Yup totally agree on the retail and small business products skuzzy. I dunno why they do it that way when the corporate product is so freakin good, doesn't make sense.

Having said that I believe they are trying to cater for the 'stupid beyond all reason' market, having seen what some home users are capable of doing :D

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2010, 10:59:11 AM »
hey guys just wanted to let yall know.... if you have anyone in collage and they have a good email address from the school. they can get windows 7 home p for $30.00.... ,microsoftstudent.com... offer is good until 01/31/2010....

Offer ends the 3rd. Not the 31st.
Wish I'd have known this a week ago. LOL
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 11:00:56 AM by DREDIOCK »
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline MadHatter

• Copper Member
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2010, 10:59:44 PM »
I have 4 systems that run Linux RedHat, XP, Vista, and 7 Ultimate. While I had many issues with Vista, I haven't had any with 7 yet. I'll stress yet, but I've lasted longer without problems then I did with Vista. Everyone touts the stability of XP, but remember, XP had ALOT of issues right out of the box too. The reason it's so stable right now is for the fact that it's been around for a while. Also Mojavi = Vista. It was a codename that Microsoft used for Vista for a "man on the street" ad campaign a while back. They invited strangers to check out a "new" OS destined to replace XP, everyone loved it (what can ya expect from a 2 minute demo). Dump the Vista, go to 7, you don't need Pro unless your using the system for business.
-MadHat
CO 81st Bomb Wing "Pogues"
"Carpet bombing is 100% accurate, the bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground."