Author Topic: A film for critique/discussion. High spit vs lower F4U.  (Read 3040 times)

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
Re: A film for critique/discussion. High spit vs lower F4U.
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2010, 05:02:48 PM »
Mtnman...

A couple things here-

Sustained turns vs the spits- while in an F4U, I really don't want any part of.  They ALL come around the circle quicker on me.  Maybe I could deal with a spit1?  I'm not sure I've ever tried.  

Numbers-  when it comes to the "numbers" such as degrees per second, radius measurements, etc, I get bored too quickly to pay attention to them.  That's a weakness on my part, and since I don't "know the numbers" I can't teach them either.  I didn't even know the top speed of the Spit16 until last week, and now I've forgotten it again.  As bad as it sounds, I don't even know the top speed for ANY of the F4U's.  Or the FPM climb speeds.  Or the acceleration times, the turn diameter, etc.  Extend that to say that if I don't know/pay attention to the numbers for the only plane I fly, what are the chances I know any of the numbers for any of the planes in AH?  I'll probably take some flak for that, but it's the truth.  I deal with loads of numbers in other aspects of my life, I have no interest in doing that here.

The only numbers I pay attention to in the spit vs F4U fight is what I think of as a "matched" speed of 350 for the Spit16, and 300 for the rest of the spits.  And I only know that due to trial and error.  The way I use those numbers is when I have a spit diving onto my six, I know that if I can drag them until we're both level, and he's no longer catching me (no closure, but he's not necessarily falling behind- out of gun range though), I can go into a shallow climb for all the spits at 300mph, and 350 for a Spit16, and they can't keep up AND climb with me.  They can only do one or the other.  So if I go into a shallow climb using those speeds as a minimum, if he tries to follow my climb, he'll fall behind.  And if he stays level to "keep up", I'll gain alt on him.  If he follows me up, I'll wait for him to start slowing/falling behind and rope him.  If he stays level I'll just get a little above him and roll in for an attack.  You can reverse that too.  I don't have to be in front of him to do that, as in the film with Dazy at the end, it works fine if I'm behind him too...  There's no way I'll follow him up for a slow-speed climb, 'cause I'll get roped.  Gimme some speed though, and I'll play along!

That type of fight isn't terribly exciting for me though, even though it's the style I used against Dazycutr in that film, so I don't use it more than a few times/week.  It's definitely in my bag of tricks though, so I use it here and there, sometimes just on a whim because I haven't done it in a while.  In a multi vs me, though, I'll use it much more often.  1v1, I'll normally do more of what bosco describes.  I'll go under the spit hoping to get him to attack me, and I'll kill him when he overshoots...

MtnMan

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not". Thomas Jefferson

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2010, 05:05:46 PM »
High speed turns spit vs hog-  Numbers again... I don't know them.  Experience in the spit?  I don't have enough to matter.  I flew them years ago, lost interest in them, and just decided to get good in my all-time favorite.  What I do have is experience fighting them, and experience watching them real close while doing that.  For one, they look like they "lock up" or "get tight" when they get real fast.  IMO, 350 isn't real fast.  I can fly faster than that in a climb...  How fast is fast?  I'm not sure, but I could log in and find out.  Numbers again... I don't watch the airspeed indicator all that much (I do in certain maneuvers, though).  In a dive with a spit, if I'm behind him, I can more or less always match his turn if he tries to get out of my way.  And I can match his roll, or exceed it.  That said, I generally won't bother to match his turn if he tries to get out of my way.  I'll just zoom up above him and dive in again.  I'll let him kill his E on a sharp turn, save mine, and take the quick kill.  If he's behind me in dive, he'll reach a point where he can't roll with me, so just doing a subtle scissors left and right gets him out of sync and I can then pull up or to the side and he can't follow.  High speed, I'm able to roll and change direction better than he can.  I can also crank back on the elevator at speeds where if he tries to do that his wings pop off.  That's what I think of as turning better than the spit at high speed.  But I'll never try to turn in circles with him...  How fast?  I'm not creaking yet, but I'm dang fast!

When it comes to "turning" with a spit, I don't look at things from an "equal" perspective.  Actually, if things look equal I'll probably break out, extend 1.5K or so, and "reset" the fight.  An equal "fair" start is fine, but I quickly want to form some differences that I can work with.  The last thing I want is to be in, or stay in an "equal" 300mph vs 300mph, 250mph vs 250mph, etc fight.  I'd much rather fight from a "disadvantaged "state than an "equal" state.  What I capitalize on is the difference between our speeds.  There are pro's and con's to be being either slower than OR faster than your opponent.  I try to capitalize on the strengths of my situation, and make him suffer for the weaknesses of his own.  If I'm slower than the spit, I have little choice but to try to turn with him.  If I'm faster, I can basically do whatever I want.  What I like to do is draw him into a chase, and since he knows I can get away, I want him to think he has to chase hard to catch me.  Then, while he's fast, I'll turn to the side, give him some closure, and force the overshoot.  I'm bleeding speed, coming closer to my "best" turn speed, while he's above his own best turn speed.  This will allow me to turn inside him.  Not because I turn better than him, but because I'm at a better speed for doing that than he is.  Not only that, but as he tries to turn tight, into what he perceives as a strength for his plane, he slows down in front of my guns.  If he doesn't want to play that game, fine, I can just extend, build my advantage, and force an attack.  Now I'll be at a speed and probable alt advantage.  Due to my greater speed, I will not be trying to out turn him...  If unable to get a kill on him after a few passes, it's almost always possible to draw him into a fast chase again, and go for the overshoot again.  It often works even better at this point, because he's perceiving that I've lost my alt/E advantage and am shifting into "desperate" mode (which I'm not).  

The trick is just to not allow him a decent guns solution in this process.  Being a little slow behind him isn't bad- as he turns to reverse I can just drop my nose a few degrees and extend, taking away his initial speed advantage.  When you drop speed to out-turn the spit one of two things must happen, or you're in trouble.  One, kill him quick.  Within a turn or two.  Or two, have an exit available.  You won't really need to escape, but you need to be able to draw the fight fast again.  Speed up, slow down.  Speed up, slow down.  The hog drops speed much quicker/easier than the spit, and that's what gives you the window to out-turn him.  It's also what gets you killed until you figure it out...  One key factor is to not allow the spit to get and stay faster than you.  Another is to not allow yourself to get too slow with him in a position to use his better acceleration.  That will lead to the spit staying faster than you...

One thing about numbers here...  I don't know how fast he's going, ever.  But I'm very good at being able to tell general things, like "faster than me" or "slower than me".  Or he's too fast to..." or "He's too slow to..."  This "watching him" process relies heavily on me knowing my current state, and current abilities ACM-wise, and weighing that against his "faster than " or "slower than" me state.  I also rely a lot on being almost in a bad position, but not quite.  A position where he'll pull for a shot he can't make.  That waste of his time and energy will kill him.  An example is being "too close" to the spit, where he can't possibly turn tight enough to get his nose on you, but too close for him not to try...

Zooms-  the "equal" thing comes back.  I ain't gonna try to out-zoom someone with an equal E-state or speed.  So why would I care who can zoom higher?  From what I've seen, apart from maybe the P38, none of the planes have a "huge" advantage here.  Two techniques come to play here.  One (me behind him), watch the film, as I zoom for the kill.  Think "closure".  Will I zoom with the spit?  Sure, but only if the conditions will grant me success...  (Why even try otherwise?)  Following the spit, I'm catching him (see the "-" on the icon?).  Catching him in the zoom in this case is a foregone conclusion.  

The second technique (me in front) is to get him behind me, fly fast enough to initially see a "+D800" so I know I'm faster (pulling away) than him, and then quickly (quick as in "soon" so he doesn't catch on, not "sharply" or suddenly") but subtly swing my nose up a bit to "hide" the fact that I'm faster (make the "+" fall off the icon...)  Now he'll think we're equal speed, and that'll give him some (false) hope that he'll catch me in the zoom.  Gradually bring the nose up to vertical, making sure he must follow your flightpath (see that in trails-enabled films)- do not allow him to turn inside your flightpath (cut the corner) or his shorter flightpath will allow him to catch you, even if he's slower...  Done "right" you'll both be vertical, with him only able to maintain equal spacing (stay at D800) or fall behind (you faster speed will show up as a "+" in the icon again).  This is "out-zooming", but without overall zoom performance being a real issue.  For that matter, I can out-zoom planes that should out-zoom me, or be caught by planes that "couldn't possibly do that", depending on the exact set of variables in play at that precise moment.  I can out-zoom this guy right now, but he'll out-zoom me 2 seconds from now...  Or vice versa...  

The best information you can have in a fight is exactly what is going on right now.  You get that by watching your opponent very intently.  With that information in hand, it doesn't matter what your turn radius is at 317.5mph....

SA will allow you to win the fight, or get killed, more than anything else.  Especially in the F4U.

I'm good with numbers, and I think very analytically generally.  I just don't give a hoot about numbers in the game.  Call that a "chink in my armor".  I zoom climb against far too many planes for me to know how well they all zoom, and whether they zoom best at a certain speed.  Same goes for turn radius, degrees per second, whatever...  I fly by "feel" and "view".  Can I out-turn this guy?  Yes! But wait, is he holding even? Pulling ahead?  Drats!  Yes!  Stop this tactic, switch to plan B!  Even having my opponent "hold even" in a turn is enough to trigger my "switch tactic" button.
MtnMan

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not". Thomas Jefferson

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2010, 05:08:08 PM »
... for a new guy like me that gets tired of getting killed so much (AH is my first flight sim of any sort and I started in June). It keeps me hanging on hoping that I'll turn the tables some day.

Keep at it!  I was exactly where you are now, not long ago...

Look up a trainer, or toss me a PM...
MtnMan

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2010, 05:14:27 PM »
Noah17,

If you look at the raw numbers the spit16 has almost all the advantage. 

Given a gentler slope, the spit's better power to weight and accleration come into play.

The poor spit...  Once you learn how to beat them it doesn't even seem like a fair match-up, hehe!

The gentler slope idea doesn't always pan out.  If it's "too" gentle, the hog takes the cake.

Two planes- one has a top speed "level" of 350 mph.  The second goes 410 "level".  Put them side by side, or one in front of the other, both at full throttle...  Now, have them both fly at 350mph...  One stays level, one climbs...  The hog will climb at 350, the spit can't...  This is how the hog out-climbs the spit.

This is how Dazycutr died, and why he complained about my "unlimited E".  He tried to climb away from me, but stayed too shallow.
MtnMan

Offline Noah17

• Copper Member
« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2010, 05:37:21 PM »
Mtnman that's a lot of effort in helping me out I really appreciate it thanks!
Big Rat thanks to you as well.

Great points I had not thought of.

While in the zoom or in any other maneuver....Do you do anything to keep your opponent in view behind the "head plate" of the F4U? I lose track a lot and find myself wasting time and losing E trying to see if my moves are working for me or if they've helped at all. The book "In Persuit" preaches to learn flying backward......I've done a little offline but.....drones don't shoot at you much.

:salute

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2010, 05:46:36 PM »
Mtnman that's a lot of effort in helping me out I really appreciate it thanks!
Big Rat thanks to you as well.

Great points I had not thought of.

While in the zoom or in any other maneuver....Do you do anything to keep your opponent in view behind the "head plate" of the F4U? I lose track a lot and find myself wasting time and losing E trying to see if my moves are working for me or if they've helped at all. The book "In Persuit" preaches to learn flying backward......I've done a little offline but.....drones don't shoot at you much.

I do whatever it takes to keep an eye on him, but with minimal control deflection to minimize drag...  The more deflection needed to keep track of him, the more speed advantage you need.  If you don't have enough speed for the rope, you don't.  Roping is an "option".  Kepping track of the bad guy isn't.

I do it like this-  I have my views mapped to a HAT switch, and look up mapped to a pinkie switch, so I can do all my views "one-handed".  With my other hand, I have a "rocker" switch on my throttle mapped to "move head left/right".

I then adjust/save the best views I can get, but with my head centered left/right on the seat/shroud.  Now, while checking six, I just use my left index finger to push the rocker left/right, to see my opponent.  I don't like my view saved with my head to one side, because it waste's too much time (IMO) to slide my head left if my view is saved to the right...  Once my climb angle is achieved, I often roll slightly to increase my view of my opponent.  You can't effectively check six without rolling.
MtnMan

Offline Noah17

• Copper Member
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2010, 06:24:07 AM »
Greetings Big Rat,

I've been trying to use flaps against the Spit 16 as I get just under 250 MPH.....I'm still having trouble. I can't out turn the 16. I get to 250 and drop one notch my turn tightens but it doesn't seem to be enough. I drop a second notch and I'm slower now and turning much tighter but maybe I'm turning at an even rate at best. I drop a third to see if that will help. Now I'm getting slow around 170's or so. The Spit starts to come around on my 6.

Any thoughts on what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks,

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2010, 01:48:29 PM »
Greetings Big Rat,

I've been trying to use flaps against the Spit 16 as I get just under 250 MPH.....I'm still having trouble. I can't out turn the 16. I get to 250 and drop one notch my turn tightens but it doesn't seem to be enough. I drop a second notch and I'm slower now and turning much tighter but maybe I'm turning at an even rate at best. I drop a third to see if that will help. Now I'm getting slow around 170's or so. The Spit starts to come around on my 6.

Any thoughts on what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks,

It sounds like you're talking about flat-turning, as in going around a circle with the spit on the opposite side?  

You won't win that one with any regularity.  You won't win that fight based on plane vs plane performance.  You're making a big mistake fighting the spit in that manner, and your only real hope is that he'll make bigger mistakes than that...  The flaps will tighten your turn radius, but that won't make up for the turn-rate advantage, and acceleration advantage of the spit.  He should be able to come around on your six.  Dropping flaps in that situation, and with that goal, is basically suicide.

You'll need to use your flaps to beat the spit, but that doesn't mean you should drop them, and get into flat turning vs the spit.  Or that you should drop them and leave them deployed for more than a few seconds.

Flaps (in my mind) are seldom "neutral" in effect.  They're either helping you, or they're hurting you.  They're hurting you if you have them deployed when you shouldn't.  And they're not helping you if you have them up when you need them down, either.  They'll help you turn tighter, which is good.  They'll slow you down, which isn't always good in a fight.  

It sounds like you're unintentionally using them as brakes.  You're using them in a situation where you experience their full drag effect, but the radius-tightening effect doesn't matter.  It's ok for the spit to fly a larger radius turn than you.  He'll still beat you because he can get around that circle quicker than you, even if it is bigger...  To put it into a different perspective, he might even be able to ease off on the elevator, and intentionally fly a larger-radius circle at a faster speed, and come around on you even quicker.  In short, he could out-turn you without even trying to turn as hard...  That's how big of an advantage he has in that situation.

So, there's two answers (at least) to your question.  You're probably using flaps when you shouldn't, or how you shouldn't.  And you're turning flat (and sustained) against a spit.

So how do you fix that?  One, in a flat circle type fight with a spit, only use flaps if it will give you a kill shot, right now.  And don't stay in that flat circle.  For that matter, you shouldn't even enter it unless you can do it in such an advantageous position that you'll be able to kill him right away, or be able to leave it at will, without the spit being able to chase you down (because you're too slow).  If you get your kill shot, but miss it, gets those flaps up and get out of the circle!  Every second you're in that circle and the spit isn't dead, his advantage on you is building, and yours is deteriorating.

Take that a step further- you've just entered a circle, flat-turning with a spit, at nearly equal speed.  He's 1/5 of the way around the circle, in front of you.  In other words, you're behind him.  BUT, you can't get a shot, because you can't pull enough lead to hit him, even with flaps.  Guess what?  You're already in big trouble.  You need to get out of that type of fight, right now.  The moment you cannot gain in advantage in this fight, you begin losing it.  Every fraction of a second hurts you more.  You need to be thinking of a different option, and put it into effect.  If you've dropped flaps, you probably can't extend, because you can't accelerate quick enough.  Even though you're still "behind" the spit in this turn, I'd be looking at an overshoot option already.  He may be in front of you right now, but in a few seconds he'll be behind you.  Start setting him up right away...  By the time he's halfway around the circle, and everything looks "equal", you're about done.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 02:10:37 PM by mtnman »
MtnMan

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2010, 02:56:38 PM »
all this HOG info is making itch, good read and got me thinking of getting back in AH sooner than i planed.

Offline Big Rat

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2010, 06:08:33 PM »
Noah17,

Probably the best thing you can do is get with a trainer.  A couple of merges with a trainer can be worth pages of this stuff (not that this is bad at all, it's very good), but as I'm sure you know, reading how to do it and doing it in practice are often two different things.  Fortunately for you, we probably have more good hog trainers then any other aircraft.  I'd even go as far as suggest hitting all of them, Each one of us I'm sure trains a little different and have our own theories on ACM and what works.  The more knowledge base you get your information from the better all around hog pilot you will become.  Just send whichever trainer you want to work with a PM and what times you are available, and I'm sure any of us will be glad to help you out :aok

BigRat
When you think the fight might be going bad, it already has.
Becoming one with the Hog, is to become one with Greatness, VF-17 XO & training officer BigRat