Author Topic: Russia May Send Spacecraft to Knock Away Asteroid  (Read 1844 times)

Offline Strip

• Gold Member
Re: Russia May Send Spacecraft to Knock Away Asteroid
« Reply #60 on: January 04, 2010, 04:53:06 PM »
It terms of total capability they are, its widely believed they cant even retrieve a satellite....

Take away MIR and what have the Russians done in manned flight?

Strip

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #61 on: January 04, 2010, 05:06:00 PM »
They never had a program to retrive a satellite.
Regarding Manned flight and MIR (Which did not fall on our heads like Skylab), well, they were the first. Not sure with spacewalk, and they never put a man on the moon.
Taking away MIR is like taking away the biggest part of the cake. They ran the thing, did lots of dockings etc, and quite some time ago.
I hardly belive me being the one here to pick the Russian side, there must be someone else....
However, I just belive their achivements should not be ignored, let alone mocked as if they were amateurs.
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline mensa180

• Platinum Member
« Reply #62 on: January 04, 2010, 05:21:33 PM »
Its been awhile since I was keeping up with this stuff frequently but, last I knew, the rate of expansion was actually increasing. 

While this appears to suggest that the 'Big Freeze' theory may hold more water than the 'Big Crunch' theory, the truth, I think, is that we really haven't the slightest idea what will happen. 

The increasing rate of acceleration can not be mathematically explained unless you reach elbow-deep into the bucket of theoretical physics because the behavior of visible matter is not consistent with the sum of its mass.  Cosmologists coined terms like 'Dark Matter' and 'Dark Energy' and used them to force explanations out of our current level of understanding.

You're absolutely right - it's REALLY neat stuff - and I believe that is so because problems like the above serve as a constant reminder of just how much we have yet to learn. 

Good post, I love this stuff, I live on the science channel. 
inactive
80th FS "Headhunters"
Public Relations Officer

Offline Strip

• Gold Member
« Reply #63 on: January 04, 2010, 05:28:36 PM »
I wont mock the Russians efforts, but they are elementary compared to what NASA has done. MIR was a death trap that thankfully never got sprung, the engineering behind it was hap hazard at best. The interior was cluttered with control and life support cables run through airlocks. The same airlocks that were to be shut in case of a depressurization emergency. By your own admission MIR was a large portion of the Russian efforts, NASA would have never let the thing launch. The only reason Skylab fell was due to two years of delays in the Space Shuttle program and rather unexpected solar activity.

Strip

Offline KgB

• Silver Member
« Reply #64 on: January 04, 2010, 06:26:29 PM »
I wont mock the Russians efforts, but they are elementary compared to what NASA has done. MIR was a death trap that thankfully never got sprung, the engineering behind it was hap hazard at best. The interior was cluttered with control and life support cables run through airlocks. The same airlocks that were to be shut in case of a depressurization emergency. By your own admission MIR was a large portion of the Russian efforts, NASA would have never let the thing launch. The only reason Skylab fell was due to two years of delays in the Space Shuttle program and rather unexpected solar activity.

Strip

"elementary compared to what NASA has done"? Well screw me what have you been reading.

"It is the greatest inequality to try to make unequal things equal."-Aristotle

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #65 on: January 04, 2010, 09:16:27 PM »
Why spend a huge sum of money and effort on this?

All they really need to do is project an image of Rosie O'Donnell at the asteroid. Surely, it will change direction.

Up in Maine, it keeps the Black Bears out of the garbage cans.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Demetrious

• Copper Member
« Reply #66 on: January 05, 2010, 06:02:16 AM »
However, I just belive their achivements should not be ignored, let alone mocked as if they were amateurs.

What achievements? I have a book on the shelf behind me titled "Dragonfly," which documents in great detail how MIR was a deathtrap that was constantly falling apart, and how they managed to ram the station with their own resupply shuttle. The Buran (their version of the Space Shuttle,) was destroyed when the hanger it was stored in collapsed due to lack of maintenance. This is the post-Soviet Russia, and they don't have the money to maintain their surface Navy, much less launch grand, highly complex extra-planetary endeavors.

As for their "achievements," you don't hear much about all the cosmonauts who died in the attempt- no, they only published their successes. Wikipedia "lost cosmonauts" sometime.

Honestly, the whole idea of Russia "leading the charge" to "save the earth from an EVIL ASTEROID" Armageddon is so laughable that it's clearly another attempt by Putin to foster the image of RUSSIA STRONG.

Remember when they announced that they were returning to 24/7 Tu-95 patrols? Anybody who knew anything about planes was laughing like mad that day. Ah, yes, if only it was 1955 again and ICBMS hadn't made standing nuclear bomber patrols irrelevant! But no matter, RUSSIA STRONG.

All they really need to do is project an image of Rosie O'Donnell at the asteroid. Surely, it will change direction.

I laughed hard enough to wake up the cat, good job.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #67 on: January 05, 2010, 07:26:12 AM »
(Image removed from quote.)

That picture is obviously fake, look at the lighting on Putin and the rest of the picture.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline DrDea

• Gold Member
« Reply #68 on: January 05, 2010, 09:48:18 AM »
 Why Rosie? Rosanne Barr would just cause it to explode into a dust cloud.
The Flying Circus.Were just like you.Only prettier.

FSO 334 Flying Eagles. Fencers Heros.

Offline Yossarian

• Gold Member
« Reply #69 on: January 05, 2010, 10:24:47 AM »
It terms of total capability they are, its widely believed they cant even retrieve a satellite....

Take away MIR and what have the Russians done in manned flight?

Strip

Don't forget that the core module of the ISS was designed, built and launched by the Russians.

What achievements? I have a book on the shelf behind me titled "Dragonfly," which documents in great detail how MIR was a deathtrap that was constantly falling apart, and how they managed to ram the station with their own resupply shuttle. The Buran (their version of the Space Shuttle,) was destroyed when the hanger it was stored in collapsed due to lack of maintenance. This is the post-Soviet Russia, and they don't have the money to maintain their surface Navy, much less launch grand, highly complex extra-planetary endeavors.

As for their "achievements," you don't hear much about all the cosmonauts who died in the attempt- no, they only published their successes. Wikipedia "lost cosmonauts" sometime.

I think when the resupply vehicle rammed the station, that was more a mistake, rather than the pure stupidity you seem to imply.  Also, 4 cosmonauts have been lost on Russian space missions.  I looked at that article on Wikipedia, and it seemed to be a bunch of conspiracy theories, much like the Moon landing conspiracy theory.
Afk for a year or so.  The name of a gun turret in game.  Falanx, huh? :banana:
Apparently I'm in the 20th FG 'Loco Busters', or so the legend goes.
O o
/¯________________________
| IMMA FIRIN' MAH 75MM!!!
\_¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Offline Strip

• Gold Member
« Reply #70 on: January 05, 2010, 10:30:44 AM »
Its pretty well known that the Russians have tried to hide deaths of cosmonauts before though....
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 10:39:22 AM by Strip »

Offline IrishOne

• Silver Member
« Reply #71 on: January 05, 2010, 12:53:09 PM »

My regards,

Widewing
*BARF* god she's hot...... :eek: :bolt:
-AoM-

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #72 on: January 06, 2010, 02:47:02 AM »
How about the Irish doing it :D
After all, they had a go at the moon ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nfz9O_mSY1U

Enjoy....
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline IrishOne

• Silver Member
« Reply #73 on: January 06, 2010, 07:53:14 AM »
 :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl  sign me up to pilot Guiness III  :rock
-AoM-

Offline KgB

• Silver Member
« Reply #74 on: January 06, 2010, 03:56:10 PM »

Get a grip on your a.d.d. and focus on space program.
Pioneers of the astronautic theory
First human-made object to orbit the Earth
First human in outer space and the first to orbit the Earth
First human to conduct a space walk
First woman in space
First unmanned shuttle spaceflight
You right, you can hardly call it "achievements"
P.S. To avoid future moronic accusations do a little research. Buran was destroyed in 2002 in Kazakhstan, it wasn't in Russia. You can blame Borat for that one.
"It is the greatest inequality to try to make unequal things equal."-Aristotle