Author Topic: A question for the GVers  (Read 2230 times)

Offline bmwgs

• Silver Member
Re: A question for the GVers
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2010, 12:55:50 PM »
Thanks for the reply's so far. I have a question but 1st I want to make it perfectly clear that I'm asking for help not implying anything incorrect on the other GVer's part.

From what I'm gathering there is no possible line of sight since changes were made to the detail settings. In this case the shot is blind and based on having various locations pre-ranged like artillery fire and relying on a spotter. With no shell holes around the revetment no ranging fire existed prior my arrival (within some defined time frame). So we have a 1st shot literally within meters with regard to accuracy. I don't GV much but I'm not a bad shot (certainly not a real good one). To me the shots vs moving targets at closer ranges (900-1600) are harder then moving shots at long range...especially when you consider both the "kill area's" and facing as it regards to ricochets. At "longer" ranges in the 2400-3200 range vs a stationary target I'm a pretty decent shot most of the time if I stay in the same tank and get a feel for the optics again. My 1st shot ratio at 2800 in a PZIV (after a few hops) is probably 20% and my 2nd shot 50% and 3rd is 75+%. I know the hard core GVers are much better...once we get out of ranged optics (3200?) then the further beyond the more ranging is required (for me).

So without a line of sight you can't really range and a spotter wont see a flash for a hit. I have a very hard time getting a feel for how you make any ranging adjustments without any visual feedback since you have no reference point on the optics at that range (or do you)?

One little secret, or maybe not so secret, is using the cursor.  Just place it some distance below the target vertical grid and lock it into place.  Use features in the landscape (dark spots, trees) as targeting lines for vertical adjustments.  In time you will get a feel as to where the cursor needs to be placed for distance shooting beyond the target grid optics.  You can also use the head forward and back to change the grid in the optics.  This works really well in the panzer and less with the other tanks.  Each has a max/min distance that can be adjusted.  This will allow you to shoot at a far greater distance with accuracy.

I hope I understood your question.

Beware of GVing, its like a drug once you get into it.  You may become another member of the dark side of no talented players.     :D

Fred
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 12:58:09 PM by bmwgs »
One of the serious problems in planning the fight against American doctrine, is that the Americans do not read their manuals, nor do they feel any obligation to follow their doctrine... - From a Soviet Junior Lt's Notebook

Offline FireDrgn

• Silver Member
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2010, 10:35:22 PM »
how would you know? you saw the same film i saw!  he could have had that spot ranged all day! no reason to adjust after you get the range, also no two shots are ever exactly the same because the turret moves after every shot, he could not see the target, but imagime that he has something that he puts on the screen that lines him back up too the same shot every time, it is a stretch i know, but there are those who take this game to that next level!  do you have a better explanation?............................. ............................. ............................. .   i didn't think so!

All u did was prove my point. You respond.... "He could have had that spot ranged all day!"  What happend to your spotter theory? The only point that you made that I contended was the spotter one. 

All you have to do to get the distance is record and look at film....duh..... Pinging the same spot With out line of sight. takes a bit more work. And it would have to be done ahead of time.  My guess is a buddie on the other side in a gv on the ground.    Once you have it marked on your screen its done....

That's plausible. BUT its most like ly that there is a graphics bug in the game that lets some see thru trees.          For Example with the   hedges that they took out of the game you could see the interment panel inside the other guys panzer thru the hedges . once you knew what to look for it was easy to spot and shoot the other guy.       

It more probable that a bug exists in the game.   

If you will take the time to take some of the other tanks out there are deffinant graphics bug.. Were  ALL THE TREES DO NOT SHOW UP IN THE DIFFERANT VIEwS!!!!
"When the student is ready the teacher will appear."   I am not a teacher.

Offline FireDrgn

• Silver Member
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2010, 10:47:11 PM »
I haven't watched as I can't seem to on this PC...but to put forward a thought to your question....It was said that there was a P38 above... now I use friendlies icon range to get my range needed....it your friendly drops low enough and marks the spot you will generally get within cooee of your target...you do not need to see said target as the rounds arc over most things at these distances......The fact that the first round hit could be sheer luck as from what I have read there are a couple after which miss...as you know once you have fired the turret isn't set back to where it was originally fired from....and the others as has been mentioned could have been relaying from their positions the round strikes......you would have to be pretty reasonable in a GV for this though.

Ok be honest how many times have you hit on the first shot when your using a spotter?  To be as consistant as he was  He would have to have it marked on his screeN. at least. I just thought of something IM going to go check the timing of the shots.   

<S>

Offline FireDrgn

• Silver Member
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2010, 10:53:09 PM »
Thought so,  Check the timing of the shots. They are shot as soon as the gun reloads.   There are only to possibility's.....One is Target HAS to be marked on your screen. with or with out line of sight.

TWO....... :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :bolt:

Offline SPKmes

• Gold Member
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2010, 11:58:19 PM »
Ok be honest how many times have you hit on the first shot when your using a spotter?  To be as consistant as he was  He would have to have it marked on his screeN. at least. I just thought of something IM going to go check the timing of the shots.   

<S>

A couple of times...I am definitely not proficient at it and I am not really a high class GV'er....but I have done it...I would have to say luck more than anything  but to get close even takes a little practice....to get back on target during the reload period isn't too much of an ask...I don't personally use my cursor or bit of tape for aim over long distances but I can get back on target quite easily (as long as I have remembered to look before I shoot). I use the surrounding land scape...much as I would in real life...the person who making the shots,in my view is no slouch to this game either..he is very capable....and to make things worse there are others that are better...
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 12:04:31 AM by SPKmes »

Offline WWhiskey

• Gold Member
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2010, 10:03:06 AM »

All u did was prove my point. You respond.... "He could have had that spot ranged all day!"  What happend to your spotter theory? The only point that you made that I contended was the spotter one. 
All you have to do to get the distance is record and look at film....duh..... Pinging the same spot With out line of sight. takes a bit more work. And it would have to be done ahead of time.  My guess is a buddie on the other side in a gv on the ground.    Once you have it marked on your screen its done....
That's plausible. BUT its most like ly that there is a graphics bug in the game that lets some see thru trees.          For Example with the   hedges that they took out of the game you could see the interment panel inside the other guys panzer thru the hedges . once you knew what to look for it was easy to spot and shoot the other guy.       
It more probable that a bug exists in the game.   
If you will take the time to take some of the other tanks out there are deffinant graphics bug.. Were  ALL THE TREES DO NOT SHOW UP IN THE DIFFERANT VIEwS!!!!
it is funny to me that instead of respecting a players skills, you would rather blame it on the "game", Whats with all this negativity?  do you not think someone in this game is capable of that shot? you saw  a very small segment of film, but you have all the answers, wow your a super genius, i stand corrected! :neener:
Flying since tour 71.

Offline FireDrgn

• Silver Member
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2010, 11:32:06 AM »
Well im glad your in a Good mood WWhiskey. No I'm just being realistic so this can get fixed  if needed...  I think its a graphics bug.      Its not that great of a shot if Papy has line of sight. I thank alot of players  in the game can make that shot with line of sight.

If just after the Truth Sir. If i came on to strong i have no problem apologizing for that.  When my Metaprograms get violated I tend to get testy. 

Only one thing can be True.                     It was obvious to me that the spotter theory does not fit at all. I would like to know what does fit. 

<S>

Offline FireDrgn

• Silver Member
« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2010, 11:48:54 AM »

A couple of times...I am definitely not proficient at it and I am not really a high class GV'er....but I have done it...I would have to say luck more than anything  but to get close even takes a little practice....to get back on target during the reload period isn't too much of an ask...I don't personally use my cursor or bit of tape for aim over long distances but I can get back on target quite easily (as long as I have remembered to look before I shoot). I use the surrounding land scape...much as I would in real life...the person who making the shots,in my view is no slouch to this game either..he is very capable....and to make things worse there are others that are better...

With no line of sight  4.7 k you have hit another tank on the FIRST SHOT?  Using a spotter!!!  Can I ask  with no line of sight HOW did you know you hit the other tank?

Its not revalant to this case anyways.  If you will get in the P 38 or the 110  the only two planes in the area.. There is no way they are or can be spotting.

Also the timing of the shots shows he is not waiting to see if they HIT which points to something totlay differant anyways.... All I'm asking is that you will take a look at the evidence and ask some questions .

<S>

« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 12:07:42 PM by FireDrgn »

Offline WWhiskey

• Gold Member
« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2010, 02:38:10 PM »
With no line of sight  4.7 k you have hit another tank on the FIRST SHOT? Using a spotter!!! Can I ask with no line of sight HOW did you know you hit the other tank?
Its not revalant to this case anyways.  If you will get in the P 38 or the 110  the only two planes in the area.. There is no way they are or can be spotting.
Also the timing of the shots shows he is not waiting to see if they HIT which points to something totlay differant anyways.... All I'm asking is that you will take a look at the evidence and ask some questions .
<S>
again, you think this was his first shot, i disagree it is only the first shot we see, that is what you don't seem to get,a round from point a to point b requires no line of sight if proper preparations were made before hand! this could have been his 50Th shot, or his 500Th over time, from the spot he was shooting to the place he was firing are too known locations, i was going to recreate it for you today but knights are completely out of TT on that map and i didn't want to have to shower again after switching to bish and doing so! :rofl
 besides, the chance of a glitch happening in that one spot, perfectly between two known locations  without someone else exploiting it and being found by now are very slim, as for the two planes, it was just a suggestion, because that is how i have done the same thing before. more likely he had it mapped out beforehand, otherwise he would be adjusting his fire to compinsate , to map this out would be very simple, the trees dont move and leave an outline on your screen,  a mark on the screen to locate a certain tree would do just as well as the actual target itself, stop thinking  you have to see a target to hit it exactly every time.
Flying since tour 71.

Offline Belial

• Silver Member
« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2010, 03:02:49 PM »
Instead of concentrating on miracle shots practice hitting targets you CAN see on the first shot :neener:  Gv'ing is what kept me playing this game after the appeal of flying wore off.  Just go out there and do what you enjoy, whether it be camp a spawn from 1k or pick people off from 6k.

And firedgn knows his stuff but Is wrong to argue about something so trivial, if you got shot through or around trees just chalk it up as little inconvenience it's not the norm.

Offline wgmount

• Copper Member
« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2010, 03:23:10 PM »
It is normal for me. The last time I was in a Gv a tank I couldn't see was hitting me from the other side of a hill. I was moving to a different location then he finished killing me on the run from the other side of the hill. 2 other tanks killed me with no line of sight that day. I don't know how they do it either. The only time I have made an over the hill shot was in a t 34 I could see the other tank from the 3 position but not the gun and kept switching back and forth.
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands,
hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."- H.L. Mencken

Offline FireDrgn

• Silver Member
« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2010, 04:14:02 PM »
The only point i argued was the spotter  theory which i proved as slop.   All i did was ask questions.  The video shows it as his third or forth shot.  Im taking snaphook verbal account  as the first shot  hit....... My point was that Papy had line of sight..... and i am  right he has line of sight. 

What your not taking into account is you cant map it with out LINE of sight.  Which again proves my point.

Its not really a glitch  but it is gameing the game... and it would be nice if it were "fixed"

Also I figured out how its done.     Actually  very simple. 

Your still over thinking it.

I admit i get over excited over it some times... so what 

Tell you what ill go ride my 1000rr and get over it.

<S>

Offline Sonicblu

• Nickel Member
« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2010, 06:51:55 PM »
I dont tank much at all.

I would just like to guess at how its done though. Flushed hinted at  it.

If he did range it using his pintel gun. marked his screen. he would be all set.

It might just be possible to see over the trees from pintal gun with views set up high.

Let me know you think fire. PM me if you want.

Offline Belial

• Silver Member
« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2010, 09:28:55 PM »
Ehhhhh doubtful sonic

Offline FireDrgn

• Silver Member
« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2010, 10:05:37 AM »
That does work  for shooting over hills. Actually a great tequnique that not many use.  You can sit almost completely blind and shoot the other guy.

This is not the case here tho. Im sure some others know how to do it. Now I know how they doing it and I will be able to shoot  back.

<S>