Author Topic: Future GV included fsos  (Read 1313 times)

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
Future GV included fsos
« on: January 02, 2010, 09:50:37 PM »
    The last time I took part in an FSO our squad pulled a gv duty. I must say I didnt help much as Im next to worthless in them. Rather than assigning whole squads would it be possible to draft interested individuals from squads, and use members who enjoy, and are good at GVing take part. Maybe its too much work, buts its just a thought.

~AoM~

Offline daddog

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.332nd.org
Re: Future GV included fsos
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2010, 10:02:21 PM »
I am in the same boat as you Filth, not that I am a great stick in the air, but I would do better in the air than on the ground.

It is certainly possible, but that would be something the CiC and the Admin CM would have to coordinate. Last year we had some guys in GV's and others in the air over head offering cover and ground support.
Noses in the wind since 1997
332nd Flying Mongrels
daddog
Knowing for Sure

Offline Viper61

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2010, 02:38:43 AM »
Not a bad idea..... May want to limit it to squad splits like 50/50 so that it remains controlled vs. a everyman for himself kind of thing.  I like the idea.

Offline AKP

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2010, 07:52:29 AM »
The only GV action I have seen in an FSO so far had us in tanks for the first 1/2 of the frame, and 190's in the second 1/2.  I thought it worked out very well.

***G3-MF***

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2010, 09:39:19 AM »
I was more keen on the notion of using them after your Aircraft death or landing.

That way if you did not want to be involved you could log.
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline Stoney

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2010, 10:17:40 AM »
    The last time I took part in an FSO our squad pulled a gv duty. I must say I didn't help much as Im next to worthless in them. Rather than assigning whole squads would it be possible to draft interested individuals from squads, and use members who enjoy, and are good at GVing take part. Maybe its too much work, buts its just a thought.

I understand what you're suggesting, so don't take this the wrong way, but I'd agree as long as I, or my squad, could opt out of bomber duty.  I'm playing devil's advocate here, obviously, but the bottom line is that, in my opinion, we need both pieces (fighters and bombers) to make a normal air-centric FSO successful.  If we are to have GVs in FSO, we will need both aircraft and ground forces, and that means assigning some squads that may rather be doing something else to GVs.  Ultimately, its a CIC decision, as he/she can look at the ride requests and try to match up squads as best he/she can, depending on the needs of the frame. 

At the end of the day, I believe its best a question posed to the community:  Do you or do you not want GVs integrated into FSO?  If they are integrated, they have to be truly integrated, instead of merely a second act that no one truly cares the results of.  For the most part, even though some of these ancillary uses of GVs and surface naval battles have been included with the score, they are structured in a manner that makes them a separate part, that does not "interfere" with any squads ability to don their goggles, and fly an aircraft.  Mostly these have been attempts to determine the best way to utilize the unique characteristics that GVs bring to the event.  We're obviously going to continue to learn, especially as we start seeing more maps like Easyscor's Ardennes and Hungary maps, that truly allow us, from a map geometry standpoint, to integrate GVs into the action.

Again, it should be up to the community.  FSO will evolve over the years, as it has through the past.  The question is whether this is a direction the majority of the player base wants to see.  Personally, I like the idea of a truly integrated ground and air battle (or air and sea), so I hope we'll have the interest.  If not, we can continue to refine what has proven to be a very successful formula from past FSOs.
 :aok

"Can we be incorrect at times, absolutely, but I do believe 15 years of experience does deserve a little more credence and respect than you have given from your very first post."

HiTech

Offline Stampf

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2010, 11:25:28 AM »

At the end of the day, I believe its best a question posed to the community:  Do you or do you not want GVs integrated into FSO? 

A 'No' vote here. 
- Der Wander Zirkus -
- La Fabrica de Exitos -

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2010, 11:33:34 AM »
No.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2010, 12:41:07 PM »
At the end of the day, I believe its best a question posed to the community:  Do you or do you not want GVs integrated into FSO?  If they are integrated, they have to be truly integrated, instead of merely a second act that no one truly cares the results of.

Good Points, But I don't think it has to be truly integrated as you suggest.

Go back and revisit something like last December and you guys can iron the wrinkles out and make it even better.  :salute
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline Bino

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2010, 04:38:08 AM »
At the end of the day, I believe its best a question posed to the community:  Do you or do you not want GVs integrated into FSO? 

No, thanks.

"The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'." - Randy Pausch

PC Specs

Offline AKKuya

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2010, 01:48:03 PM »
During WW2, both sides gained territory by capturing cities and bases.  The best way to integrate GV's into the FSO formula is utilize the system HTC created for base taking in the MA's.

Set aside an area of operations for a nuetral base like a small airfield.  Have spawn points for gv's to approach from opposite sides of the nuetral base. Aircraft will have to fly 2 to 3 sectors away giving time for GV's to have a chance to battle for a bit before the air cav rolls in.  This will create the need for close air support with ground action to take the base.  The one exception is that it's only a one life event.  CIC's will have to assign squads to accomplis this.

Strike missions will be reduced to 3 or 4 targets for bombers and fighters.  This all depending on maps to support them.

This would be make the action of a base capture very challenging since there's no re-upping by defenders and attackers.  This would create a little hesitation for some players who normally charge full speed ahead in the MA's.  Real tactical decision making would be needed to get the town down.

Due to the limited country GV sets, both sides should be allowed to use all GV's at their discretion.

My 2 cents. :salute
Chuck Norris can pick oranges from an apple tree and make the best lemonade in the world. Every morning when you wake up, swallow a live toad. Nothing worse can happen to you for the rest of the day. They say money can't buy happiness. I would like the opportunity to find out. Why be serious?

Offline haasehole

• Copper Member
      • http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/The13thMidwestPilotGroup/
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2010, 09:53:14 AM »
 yes
~GELU~CRUOR~IUGUOLO~o2b1ace~
             13 Midwest Pilot Group
                  WD40 - F.S.O.

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2010, 10:05:26 PM »
  If given a choice Id say no, but I know many like them so I wouldnt want to see them left wanting, Id just like to see THEM in them :)

~AoM~

Offline Cee64E

• Zinc Member
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2010, 01:20:58 AM »
I have enjoyed all aspects of FSO.  Rolling Thunder, has done numerous missions in the air and on the ground.  I like the idea of a more integrated air/ground mission that would make GVing in FSO more meaningful, but I also understand not everyone enjoys GVing as much as I and some of my squad-mates do.  I think the best way is to ask squads to decide if that's what they want to request for ride choice. 

CMs try to go with the requests, but every once in a while  some one will get an assignment they would not have chosen first.  This is no different from the current air campaign system.  Some times a squad get's a plane they don't really like or even a side they would rather not have.  That's part of the game and we have all been there done that. 

I do think that it should be kept fairly small to reflect the number of pilots willing to GV once in a while and allow squads to split their pilots between ground and air tasks.  Allowing a GV battle with air support will give all those guys dying to show of their jabo skills a chance to shine and GVers a chance to really be a part of FSO instead of an "also ran".
R2, did we just blow up a gas station?

Offline Dantoo

• Silver Member
      • http://www.9giap.com
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2010, 07:35:43 AM »
Yes
I get really really tired of selective realism disguised as a desire to make bombers easier to kill.

HiTech

Matthew 24:28 For wherever the carcass is, there is where the vultures gather together.