Author Topic: 5.0 returns in the 2011 Mustang  (Read 3454 times)

Offline gpwurzel

• Gold Member
Re: 5.0 returns in the 2011 Mustang
« Reply #75 on: January 06, 2010, 12:46:39 PM »
So, to move this thread on a little tangent - I'm waiting for my visa to emigrate to the US - once moved over, I'll be needing a car (current favourite is the dodge charger (in black kinda the same as is driven on NCIS (and I know, wanting a car on the basis of a show is a bit odd lol...)).

Looking for advice as never bought a car in the US (go figure) and prefer cars with a bit of oomph behind them (current car 2 litre turbo'd, but chassis waaay wobbly on not flat roads)

Advice or opinions (in laymans terms please, I do puters, not mechanics ner )

Wurzel
I'm the worst pilot ingame ya know!!!

It's all unrealistic crap requested by people who want pie in the sky actions performed without an understanding of how things work and who can't grasp reality.

Offline 5PointOh

• Gold Member
« Reply #76 on: January 06, 2010, 12:48:36 PM »
Well Gpwurzel, depends on what you want to spend, how much oomph, and where you will live.
Coprhead
Wings of Terror
Mossie Student Driver

Offline gpwurzel

• Gold Member
« Reply #77 on: January 06, 2010, 12:51:12 PM »
ah yes, location might help huh....doh.......moving to California, price range up to say 30K (dollars obviously), and prefer lots of oomph lol....

Wurzel
I'm the worst pilot ingame ya know!!!

It's all unrealistic crap requested by people who want pie in the sky actions performed without an understanding of how things work and who can't grasp reality.

Offline 5PointOh

• Gold Member
« Reply #78 on: January 06, 2010, 01:01:38 PM »
Coprhead
Wings of Terror
Mossie Student Driver

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #79 on: January 06, 2010, 01:09:13 PM »
5.0? what a puny engine...toss a Cobrajet (427/428) or Boss (429) engine in the thing and then I'll consider it...I'd even consider a 351M...otherwise it's just a soccer mom's C.F.M. car. All that b.s. tech arguments about this person says blah blah blah and that test shows blah blah blah...fact is it's still an over priced p.o.s. Chinese plastics, Taiwanese vinyl, Japanese steel and Mexican electronics...just like everything else we get to see at the car lot.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #80 on: January 06, 2010, 01:16:27 PM »
5.0? what a puny engine...toss a Cobrajet (427/428) or Boss (429) engine in the thing and then I'll consider it...I'd even consider a 351M...otherwise it's just a soccer mom's C.F.M. car. All that b.s. tech arguments about this person says blah blah blah and that test shows blah blah blah...fact is it's still an over priced p.o.s. Chinese plastics, Taiwanese vinyl, Japanese steel and Mexican electronics...just like everything else we get to see at the car lot.

boss 429 was a boat anchor in the street cars. the 351m? one of the biggest pos engines ford ever built.

ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline 5PointOh

• Gold Member
« Reply #81 on: January 06, 2010, 01:23:27 PM »
Gyrene have you looked into the build content of typical automobile? I think you might be surprised nowdays.
Coprhead
Wings of Terror
Mossie Student Driver

Offline thndregg

• Platinum Member
« Reply #82 on: January 06, 2010, 01:32:49 PM »
Its still going to handle like chit.....they always have......best thing for a Mustang is stay STR8! :bolt: :neener:

Disagree. Mustang (at least past ones) had overall better acceleration & handling. GM's Firebird (& Trans Am in my case) had better high end straight-away performance. Even with the 6.6 litre I have in mine, Mustang would out-accelerate it, but the TA's 403c.i. has more torque.
Former C.O. 91st Bombardment Group (Heavy)
"The Ragged Irregulars"

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #83 on: January 06, 2010, 01:44:14 PM »
Gyrene have you looked into the build content of typical automobile? I think you might be surprised nowdays.
Yeah I have...you won't find anything with the "made in the USA" logo on it..."assembled in the US of foreign materials" is what you might find. Even leather is imported and not the same quality you would find in a good leather recliner.

boss 429 was a boat anchor in the street cars. the 351m? one of the biggest pos engines ford ever built.
Cap, the 351m was a much better engine than either the 351c or 351w...you're probably thinking of the windsor engine which most car enthusiasts did agree was a pos.

You never ran a 429 boss did you? especially in a 69 fastback 'stang...ya thinking about the 429 that got nerfed because someone said it was too hot for the average mom and pop car?
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline DrDea

• Gold Member
« Reply #84 on: January 06, 2010, 01:56:26 PM »
Its still going to handle like chit.....they always have......best thing for a Mustang is stay STR8! :bolt: :neener:
Amen brother. I love the old mustangs.Had a 67 till the handleing drove me nuts. Still the Camaros and trans ams werent any better.
The Flying Circus.Were just like you.Only prettier.

FSO 334 Flying Eagles. Fencers Heros.

Offline DrDea

• Gold Member
« Reply #85 on: January 06, 2010, 01:58:46 PM »
2 words

Jack Roush
Ohh and still cheaper than Big Money Wasted. :neener:
Jack is a whole nother ball game there.
The Flying Circus.Were just like you.Only prettier.

FSO 334 Flying Eagles. Fencers Heros.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #86 on: January 06, 2010, 02:02:57 PM »
Yeah I have...you won't find anything with the "made in the USA" logo on it..."assembled in the US of foreign materials" is what you might find. Even leather is imported and not the same quality you would find in a good leather recliner.

Cap, the 351m was a much better engine than either the 351c or 351w...you're probably thinking of the windsor engine which most car enthusiasts did agree was a pos.

You never ran a 429 boss did you? especially in a 69 fastback 'stang...ya thinking about the 429 that got nerfed because someone said it was too hot for the average mom and pop car?

nope. the 351/400m was junk. crap. no power, no torque. wasted main bearings a lot. heads sucked. everything about em sucked.

the 351 windsor was a kick bellybutton smallblock, that could be built to some nice power and torque. the 351 cleveland was considered an FE(i think) block, and again, could be built to kickass power and torque.

the boss 429 needed too much rpm. it was put in those cars to legalize it for nascar. by the time ya got a boss 429 into its pwer band, the 396 chevy was well out front........as was the small block mustang.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #87 on: January 06, 2010, 02:11:04 PM »
<snip?

Sorry, but you are way wrong about the 351M.  I worked at Ford during the 'M' fiascos.  Yes, the 400M was also a piece of junk.  A couple of the worst engines ever made.  The 351C and 351W are much better engines.  The 351W is a popular engine for hot rods today.

The confusion about the 351W centers around the three different block Ford made.  The first generation 351W block was a damn strong block and the preferred block to be used today for racers.  It has enough meat in the crank webs to machine for 4 bolts caps.

The second generation 351W block was too weak.  Ford stripped it to make it lighter for street duty.  For the street it was fine, but it cannot be used for any serious performance work.

The last generation 351W is the best one yet.  Lighter than the original, but stronger, it is still for sale under the 'Sportsman' name.

Show me a 351M running today, and I will show you an engine that is dead but does not know it yet.  The design was flawed from the start.  Not much about the 'M' family is good at all and there is a reason you will not find an 'M' engine, or any of its parts, anywhere in the Ford performance parts catalogs.

The rumor about the Boss 429 being too hot for the mom and pop mobile is just that.  Rumor.  Ford killed that engine because they did not build it and it was not a very good design.  It was meant to help them keep up with Chevy's 427, but the year it came out, Chevy upped the ante again and still killed Ford.  Ford felt they could not wring anymore out of the engine so they killed it.

The big problem was the lousy head design.  It was just bad.  Poor castings along with too many impurities in the aluminum was just the start of the problems with these heads.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline 5PointOh

• Gold Member
« Reply #88 on: January 06, 2010, 02:17:57 PM »

I worked for a large auto manufacture in the R&D center.  I can honestly say your statement is wrong. Many auto mfgs in the US are using Teir 1, Teir 2, Teir 3 and Teir 4 suppliers in the US.  A good example is Honda.  There are two points of assmebly in Ohio, one engine plant where they cast engine blocks, pistons, cranks, rods, along with assembly.  Theres is a transmission plant where that cast the case, gears, check balls, and final assembly. Then onto the interior, Johnson Controls provides many interior components for Honda (along with many other mfgs) they have various factories in the US.  A company (IB-Tech) in Bucyrus Ohio manufactures the seatframes for most Honda vehicles.  What they dont do, another supplier (C-Tech) manufactures other seat frames they are based in Celina Ohio. A plastics company called Tri-Mold located near Lancaster Ohio provides interior plastics and injection molded components.  I could go on and on.

The truth is many parts are made and assembled here in the US, and even some are sent across seas for others.  The Honda Pilot, Odyessey, Acura MDX, Honda Ridgeline and all built in North America, and shipped over seas to countries like Russia, Japan, Germany, Austallia, ect ect.

And the 351M was a horrible motor for Ford, The Cleveland was used for a while through the 60-70s, the Windsor was a fabulous engine and was used in multiple vehicles up until the introduction of the modular engines.
Coprhead
Wings of Terror
Mossie Student Driver

Offline 5PointOh

• Gold Member
« Reply #89 on: January 06, 2010, 02:20:10 PM »
WOW Skuzzy, I'm impressed! Here I thought you just cursed Microsoft all day!   :D
Coprhead
Wings of Terror
Mossie Student Driver