Author Topic: Damned by disco!  (Read 1026 times)

Offline kcfarris

• Zinc Member
Damned by disco!
« on: January 07, 2010, 11:08:41 PM »
I am officially unhappy with the frequency of recent discos in the late arena. More than ten times in last three days Ive been discoed with a server error message. Even worse it always seems to happen when I up a 262(3 times in three days), join a mission, or am in a set of lancs at 20k plus just when I finally get over the target! I wonder each time if the problem is on my end, until I re log to find the arena size has been cut in half! I love Aces High, but if I thought this was typical I would have cancelled my subscription by now. If I want to disco I'll listen to the BeeGees or watch an old Travolta flick! :furious

Offline stran

• Copper Member
Re: Damned by disco!
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 11:18:51 PM »
perhaps you should cancel your ISP.
Squash

Offline kcfarris

• Zinc Member
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 11:28:12 PM »
I'll look into that. If it is my ISP then I apologize for the nasty message.

Offline stran

• Copper Member
Squash

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2010, 06:09:07 AM »
We really do not have control over the Internet.  The problem does not have to lie with your ISP.  It can be many places your data will cross on its journey to and from our servers.

Ping Plotter is a simple way to get an idea of where the problem may lie over the Internet.  Use it to run to 206.16.60.38 and let it run for at least 3 minutes immediately after a disco.

Just to let you, and everyone else, know.  This time of year is always bad.  Winter months are cruel to the tele-communications industry with line outages being quite normal in many parts of the country.  When a line breaks, the Internet and everything else going over that physical line has to be re-routed.

The holiday seasons add an additional burden on the Internet.  With all that, you have a sure fire problem waiting to happen.

We have no more control over the Internet, than you do.  A disco is caused by lack of communications with the server.  It is not the servers fault.  There is a good chance the server also suffered the same disco as you as it could no longer communicate with your computer.

Why does 'surfing the net' still work?  Easy.  The 'net' activities do not require working at real-time speeds so servers and clients, along with the Ethernet protocols, can retry all day long to get a packet through.  You cannot do that in a real-time flight simulator.  Packets have to be delivered in a timely manner in order to give some semblance of realistic object positioning as they move at 400MPH.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 10:58:38 AM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Ruler2

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 08:22:19 PM »
Just to let you, and everyone else, know.  This time of year is always bad.  Winter months are cruel to the tele-communications industry with line outages being quite normal in many parts of the country.  When a line breaks, the Internet and everything else going over that physical line has to be re-routed.

How would they do that? does the data come BACK down the line?

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2010, 08:19:07 AM »
How would they do that? does the data come BACK down the line?

There are millions of nodes on the backbone of the internet. Pretend that your connection to HTC goes through nodes 12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20. If the line connecting nodes 14 and 15 breaks it will be rerouted from 14 to 20 by going through node 28 first then to 18.19.20. It's all automatic in most cases, but it does take time, even a second to switch you will cause a disconnect from the game while you would never notice it while surfing the net (if page took a second longer to load would you notice?)

Of course this is a very simple way to explain "the internet" but it give you a basic idea of how it works. Now had the OP logged onto the boards and found 300-400 other post complaining about not being able to stay connected to the game that afternoon then it might be something HTC would have to check to make sure their servers aren't dropping EVERYONE then rebooting or something.

The internet is like driving to work. Everyday its the same old 40 minute ride, but then some bozo drops his coffee and slams into someone else whose doing her make-up and the next thing you know your being rerouted through the worst neighborhoods in your area dodging bullets and packs of wild dogs and it takes you 80 minutes to get to work if you even get there !   :lol

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2010, 09:10:04 AM »
Of course this is a very simple way to explain "the internet" but it give you a basic idea of how it works. Now had the OP logged onto the boards and found 300-400 other post complaining about not being able to stay connected to the game that afternoon then it might be something HTC would have to check to make sure their servers aren't dropping EVERYONE then rebooting or something.

Correct.  If it was a problem with the game EVERYBODY would be suffering from it.  They are not so I would be grabbing PingPlotter LINK to the Free version and seeing where you are having problems.
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit

Offline RufusLeaking

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2010, 12:09:03 PM »
I've discoed 7 times in five hours.  It started around 10:00 pm last night.  It is making the game unplayable.

A few times it was just abruptly back to windows.  The last two were "UDP lost."

In almost all cases, the time from text input to display dragged out to several seconds.

What may have changed, connection wise?  I am not fingering the game.  All I know is that it is colder here in Houston than in the last 13 years, at least.  How this is a factor is beyond me.  I'm grasping here.
GameID: RufLeak
Claim Jumpers

Offline Peyton

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2010, 09:55:01 PM »
I've had the same disco problem and it only started happening after the last patch.

Offline RufusLeaking

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2010, 06:25:55 AM »
I've discoed 7 times in five hours.  It started around 10:00 pm last night.  It is making the game unplayable.
About 3 hours after this post, I logged on for a few hours without incident.

The internets really confuse me.
GameID: RufLeak
Claim Jumpers

Offline EskimoJoe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2010, 06:35:53 AM »
My squad leader has a very bad disco/lag problem as well, which is making the game unplayable. We (the squad) thinks it may be his new wireless, but alas none of us know the problem. Maybe I will get him to post here.
Put a +1 on your geekness atribute  :aok

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2010, 06:49:52 AM »
Wireless connections gaurantee more frequent discos.  No way around it.  If it is a local wireless connection, you can reduce the frequency of discos by reducing the spedd of the connection, but they will never completely stop.

Please note, discos are not something caused by the 'latest' patch.  We happen to do a patch just as the Internet became stupid busy with people and the weather was on the downhill slide.

And one more time.  We have no control over this problem.  We do not control the Ethernet protocols.  We do not control your computer.  We do not control your ISP.  We do not control the Internet.  We ARE at the mercy of all these things, just as you are.

The only thing that can be done is to make sure the local Internet connections are working as they should.  Make sure the computers/servers or LAN is not provoking/exacerbating the issue.  Beyond that, run a PingPlot to try and get a clue as to where the problem might lie.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2010, 01:18:15 PM »
Your data is lacking..... In those 3 days how many hours in game do you have?  10 discos while playing 72 hours straight doesn't sound too bad.  10 discos in 4 hours of flight, that could be frustrating.

I am officially unhappy with the frequency of recent discos in the late arena. More than ten times in last three days
See Rule #4
Now I only pay because of my friends.

Offline greens

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2010, 01:47:47 PM »
I AM THE DISCO KING!! RAWWWRRRR!!! noone can beat my disco record. one time last spring i think i had like 800 discos in april or may.
_-=ELIM EAGLES=-_
in loving memory of OZ <Eagles21>
 miss you bro!