Author Topic: So I am going to coad my own flight sim...  (Read 12623 times)

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
Re: So I am going to coad my own flight sim...
« Reply #120 on: January 13, 2010, 12:22:07 PM »
Friends, Investors, Countrymen...

My sincerest apologies... my delay in responding to you all was completely out of my hands... the last few days have been quite a Challenge.  A Challenge, indeed.

A tear was brought to my eye when I read this thread just now.

It turns out, in God's strange way, that the scorpion bite was the best thing that ever happened to me (and this sim).  While I was in the hospital, the doctors noticed a strange lump on my skull.  At first, it appeared to be the result of prolonged exposure to high-altitude atmospheric pressure (of lack thereof) from some of my U-2 flights but, upon further examination, with the good, comes the bad... and with the bad, comes the good.

I have a brain tumor.  

While this means I only have 2 weeks to live, that should be enough time to finish the sim.  Additionally, since I am a positive guy and like to find the silver lining in everything, it turns out that the tumor makes me unable to participate in Operation (CLASSIFIED) against the (CLASSIFIED).  I was really hoping to reach 'Ace' with a couple more kills over (CLASSIFIED) but, despite my disappointment, I will have that much time available for coading.

I have, thus far, transferred about 50% of my coading gear to the hospital (which is where I am writing you from, now), but have run out of money and the movers wont offer credit to someone with a scorpion bite and a brain tumor.  They think that repayment risk is high for some reason.  I will show them this thread as evidence of my (and my next of kin) future cash flows.  

I will need about $5,000 to move this equipment.  Doing it myself is too much a Challenge.  I am weak, frail and will likely need a nap after typing this.  Anyhoo... I have set up an account on Grand Cayman for this purpose.

Additionally, please allow me to clarify a few things about this new, cutting edge sim, which will revolutionize the way we all play (or the way you all play... after my departure from this Earth in 2 weeks):

Firstly, this is a WWII based sim.  There will be no modern day fighters included with the sole exception of the F-16C, which will be available at the annual con.  There is some talk about including the Superhornet as a special use aircraft, as well... I understand that a forum member is a Superhornet driver but I have yet to get in touch with him.  We may have served previously (although unknown to me due to circumstances of the "industry") in the (CLASSIFIED) and the (CLASSIFIED)... and I believe that his absence may be due to deployment with the (CLASSIFIED) in (CLASSIFIED).  If true, he is a prodigy of air combat, especially above 40,000 feet, and his input will be invaluable.  I first met him at Red Flag a few years back and he was a Challenge to "kill."

Secondly, yes, nukes will be available.  However, in the interests of fair gameplay, they will be limited to historically appropriate levels; I have identified 15 kilotons as the appropriate yield.  Rest assured, this will be more than enough to inflict considerable damage on all cities; including those build in accordance with there-local hurricane zoning requirements (Yes, Puerto Rico has already been mapped and the long-range "America Bomber" has been modeled).  Damage to GV's will also be catastrophic, but there is an issue I cant quite conquer... if behind a tree, relative to ground zero, the GV takes no damage from the nuke.  Strange.

This bring us to the third point; cities.  Rest assured that they will be sprawling, VERY realistic (almost photo-like) and will require complete destruction for the capture of the near-by airfield.

This brings us to number four.  In addition to cities, airfield captures and GVs, we will have infantry.  The working arena cap (Alpha testing is underway) is 100,000.  This should provide ample numbers to ensure a proper WWII experience.  Just imagine the possibilities!  

Fifth, I will be reintroducing factories.  While I will be modeling airplanes such as the Spitfire XVI, the La-7 and the N1k-2J, the destruction of each country's factory producing each of those aircraft will result in the target country's inability to fly that aircraft for a period of six months.  This should improve strat play, though destruction of the factories will be a Challenge.

Sixth, I will be throwing away the requirement for "true" WWII service.  While, as previously stated, the F16C will be the only special aircraft to be coaded, to this point, (and, in fact already has since I know all about it; its not even a Challenge) aircraft like the F8F, 109K-14, 190D-11 and P-47X15 (you might now know about that one... could still be classified... will check) will be useable, although heavily perked.

$eventh, $ubmarine$.  I have decided not to include the$e as the money required to modify the game engine i$ not available.  $hould this change, de$pite the Challenge, I would love to have them, as Im $ure would many of you.

Eighth, formation flying.  This will no longer be available.  Drones are a thing of the past.  With 100,000 players online at once, each position in each bomber will be manned.  The Deathstar hath returned.  Taking them down will be a Challenge, I assure you.

Updates as they come... I am playing around with the idea of a Relaxed Realism arena where we might include, not only the inability to stall aircraft, but "auto-aim" gunnery. That is, for newer player, the tracers will follow (within a reasonable distance) a path directly to the target aircraft.  This should make the learning curve less of a Challenge.  

I am also considering the use of a revolutionary new piece of equipment, not unlike Track IR, which should make previous attempts at "virtual reality" a thing of the past.  When I was based in Japan for Operation (CLASSIFIED) I came across some new technology that, not only mimics head movement, but adds olfactory and other physical sensations to the experience.  What this means is that, when you get an oil hit, you will SMELL OIL!

I am not yet sure how much that technology will cost but Im sure it will be expensive... but it WILL be worth it.

Finally... I am truly blown away by the outpouring of support from the community during this difficult time and appreciate your thoughts, your prayers, and your investment in my... no... not my... OUR project.

(No date for IPO set, yet)

-Pau... er... Mike.

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
« Reply #121 on: January 13, 2010, 12:30:41 PM »
I am on the phone with Goldman Sachs as I type.  I'll have them ready to manage it.  Just let me know sir!  <S>

(No date for IPO set, yet)

Anybody that wants in on the IPO, please send your checks directly to me.  C/O SnapShotz LLC.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 12:43:13 PM by LLogann »
See Rule #4
Now I only pay because of my friends.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #122 on: January 13, 2010, 12:32:40 PM »
Get well soon Mazz, we're pulling for you!

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #123 on: January 13, 2010, 02:09:41 PM »
Get well soon Mike.

PS Can you send me a photo of the lump? I have a very skilled brain surgeon who was interesting in helping.

HT.

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #124 on: January 13, 2010, 02:38:39 PM »
Sorry to hear it Mazz :(

Can I have your P51?
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #125 on: January 13, 2010, 02:54:21 PM »
 :rofl
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #126 on: January 13, 2010, 03:14:16 PM »
I wonder if "I have a brain tumor" is CIA coad for "I'm tearing up Mig's here in Iraq"? :noid
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #127 on: January 13, 2010, 03:26:43 PM »
I think it is CIA coad for I gotta squat in the woods... you got paper?
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #128 on: January 13, 2010, 03:29:52 PM »
Mazz you should contact stiglr. I hear tell he is the 1337!!!111!!11oneeleven flight sim expert. He should get you back on track.  He stayed in a holiday inn last night... so he can also help with the brain tumor.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 03:32:05 PM by Bronk »
See Rule #4

Offline 5PointOh

• Gold Member
« Reply #129 on: January 13, 2010, 03:30:10 PM »
Oh my a brain tumor, well please use my Grand Caymon account to pull money from (I invented Colgate toothpaste so I have the extra funds).  Here is my account info 24321-1213-8432-69.  Take as much as you need.

PS, I'd like a picture to compare with my tumor.

Post op
Coprhead
Wings of Terror
Mossie Student Driver

Offline crazyivan

• Gold Member
« Reply #130 on: January 13, 2010, 05:30:22 PM »
Friends, Investors, Countrymen...

I  I am weak, frail and will likely need a nap
I feel the same way after eating a large pizza and drinking a case of beer

Firstly, this is a WWII based sim.  There will be no modern day fighters included with the sole exception of the F-16C
Does it come in black?

$eventh, $ubmarine$.  I have decided not to include the$e as the money required to modify the game engine i$ not available.  $hould this change, de$pite the Challenge
This news by far does not make me happy! Challenge yourself abit more.  :furious

-Pau... er... Mike.
POTW
"Atleast I have chicken!"- Leroy Jenkins

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #131 on: January 13, 2010, 06:15:14 PM »
Mazz, you think about asking Chalenge for some help?  I heard at one time he was developing his own flight sim, called something like TAS.  Sadly, due to some personal issues like the nasty ones you're facing stopped development of his game.  I am sure though that he would be gracious enough to lend a hand in helping you complete your flight sim.  It would give him something to do while he grabs to 35k.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #132 on: January 13, 2010, 07:25:50 PM »
What this means is that, when you get an oil hit, you will SMELL OIL!

Can you also add in the smell of urine whenever someone runs from a 1v1? Maybe throw in the smell of feces when they also are in the top 5 of the scoring ladder for the month (and fly little else but Tempests and P51s)?

Thanks! We, the gaming community, appreciate everything you do.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #133 on: January 13, 2010, 07:43:57 PM »
Wow.

I have just started reading this topic and will likely re-read it 157 more times to make sure every bit of its rich information sinks in.

You can certainly count me in for at least 17,000 dong, but I am also willing to contribute programming, math, and modelling skills to the project gratis because of the project's enormous potential not only for us, but for all of mankind.

I've found Object COBOL++ combined with Lisp subroutines to be the most effecient for heavy-duty math modelling (although a new derivative of ALGOL called "ALGORE" looks quite promising).  I should be able to work in the necessary singularity theory using renormalization and contour integration.  This might result in imaginary components to some of the less-important aerodynamic forces such as "lift" and "drag", but even gross approximations to these will be more than sufficient.

Independent of this project, I, too, have been working on kinesthetic analogues to various sensory inputs experienced during flight.  The most promising is a pneumatic collar used to simulate the effect of g's and especially black outs.  Currently, the prototype utilizes a 155 HP diesel-powered pneumatic pump, as the desired upper limit of effect and fidelity of square-wave response time seems to work best at upwards of 6000 psi in the collar, although there are some dangers to vasculature and vertebral integrity (and in fact partial or full decapitation of all test subjects to date) that still remain to be worked out.  I am willing to contribute this technology to the project.

Offline SAJ73

• Nickel Member
« Reply #134 on: January 13, 2010, 07:49:41 PM »
This all sounds good and promising and all, but.. What about wind? Have you found a realistic-like solution on how to make real wind if you fly with an open canopy? I sure miss the wind in all the other sims..

Nothing like the smell of sea as you are lifting off the carrier deck for another cruise over the Pacific..  :airplane:
TheStig