Author Topic: French Government Honors Veteran American B-26 Pilot from WWII with Medal  (Read 1121 times)

Offline TwinEng

• Copper Member
Yesterday, the government of France honored an 85 yr old American WWII veteran pilot by the name of Wes Duiker, who flew a B-26 Marauder bomber during the war.   Duiker was inducted into the Knights of the Legion of Honor, in recognition for his efforts to help free France from German occupation.   Two French representatives of the Knights of the Legion of Honor traveled to Springfield, IL, to award Duiker his meal. 

They delivered to him a letter from the French Consul General.  The letter stated that the people of France would never forget what Duiker and other allied soldiers did to save France.  It specifically said the following:

“Thanks to the courage of these brave soldiers, to our American friends and allies, France has been living in peace for the past six decades. They saved our nation and we will never forget. I want you to know that for us, the French people, they are true heroes. Gratitude and remembrance are forever in our souls.”

I guess that there are still some French people left who appreciate the sacrifice that Americans made for them in WWII.   Duiker's Bomber Squadron flew valuable support missions for Free French Army forces, softening up the opposing German forces with punishing bomb attacks.

Here is a photo of the award ceremony:

And here is a link to a video interview made with Duiker at the ceremony:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72iFH15XeSs&feature=player_embedded

The video is enlightening, due to the fact that Duker says that he believes that the world is just as dangerous a place today, as it was before WWII.

Offline Blooz

• Gold Member
Millions of medals short and 60 years too late in my book.

White 9
JG11 Sonderstaffel

"You can't vote your way out of communism."

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member

I guess that there are still some French people left who appreciate the sacrifice that Americans made for them in WWII

As I understand it, all you need to do is visit Normandy.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Tango

• Silver Member
      • http://www.simpilots.org/
Buddy of mine has been over there a couple of times to Normandy. He said the French people around there do like Americans, but when you leave the area you don't many French that do like us.
Tango78
78th Razorbacks
Historical Air Combat Group

Offline cpxxx

• Gold Member
The French can be a bit offhand with everyone but not everywhere in France. Parisians are famously rude. Don't take it personally. If you attempt to speak a little Vous le vous. They lighten up usually.

But don't be putting negative spin on what is a good news story and a genuine tribute to an old warrior who did his bit. :salute

Offline Flipperk

• Silver Member
 :salute to a fine pilot who sacrificed so much for the world...cant imagine being 18 years old and knowing that im killing hundreds of human beings everytime i go up...

It is 2 Cents or .02 Dollars...NOT .02 Cents!

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Buddy of mine has been over there a couple of times to Normandy. He said the French people around there do like Americans, but when you leave the area you don't many French that do like us.

Some of the bad attitude may be a reflection of a certain arrogance many US folks show when going abroad. But I know the french can be real tards.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Tango

• Silver Member
      • http://www.simpilots.org/
Sure is funny how Americans weren't considered arrogant until the last several years. People here are not anymore different than they have ever been.
Tango78
78th Razorbacks
Historical Air Combat Group

Offline Reaper90

• Gold Member
Some of the bad attitude may be a reflection of a certain arrogance many US folks show when going abroad. But I know the french can be real tards.

Oddly enough when Americans travel abroad we're considered rude or arrogant if we don't/can't speak the native tongue, yet when many foreigners travel to the US who can't speak english we're rude and insensitive for not knowing their native tongue....
Floyd
'Murican dude in a Brit Squad flying Russian birds, drinking Canadian whiskey

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member

I've yet to travel outside of the US and have a problem.   One day I'll get to Europe, but I always treat everyone how I'd wish to be treated. 

-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline MORAY37

• Gold Member
Re: French Government Honors Veteran American B-26 Pilot from WWII with Medal
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2010, 02:30:44 PM »
I've yet to travel outside of the US and have a problem.   One day I'll get to Europe, but I always treat everyone how I'd wish to be treated.  

Agreed.  I've been all over the world, and there hasn't been anything happen to me that couldn't be rectified with a positive attitude.  Europe, South Pacific, South America..... people all react to you treating them right. It's amazing what a little humility can do.

From what I've garnered about the French, the attitude towards America came from the many Americans that holidayed in France in the 80's and 90's when the dollar was so strong, and expected to be treated like visiting royalty stemming from the events of WW2.  Prefacing every request with "I'm an American".  I'm not saying this is right or wrong, it is just what I've heard from colleagues that are French.

When it's all said and done, in the context of nations, we repayed the favor of the French in the Revolution, when we helped them regain their freedom in WW2.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 02:32:30 PM by MORAY37 »
"Ocean: A body of water occupying 2/3 of a world made for man...who has no gills."
-Ambrose Bierce

Offline Selino631

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2010, 02:38:26 PM »
As I understand it, all you need to do is visit Normandy.
ya, when i was 16 i went to England France and Italy on a student Ambassador trip called People to People. There was roughly 30 kids in my group with 4 adult leaders and 1 european student translator (ours was austrian) but anyways we basicly toured europe and got to meet officals and stuff, when we went to Omaha Beach in Normandy there was a big ceremony for us, the Mayor of Normandy came to greet us and in the middle of this speech he made for us 2 French fighter jets flew about 100 feet across the beachline . it was pretty cool.
OEF 11-12

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2010, 03:32:50 PM »
But don't be putting negative spin on what is a good news story and a genuine tribute to an old warrior who did his bit. :salute

+1

It really smacks of politics.  They give the old man a medal and people complain. :rolleyes:
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2010, 05:19:40 PM »
Millions of medals short and 60 years too late in my book.

As you expect the French to be kissing our asses, do you remember to kiss theirs for the help they gave in the Revolutionary War?  Fair is fair, right?
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Blooz

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2010, 06:08:01 PM »
As you expect the French to be kissing our asses, do you remember to kiss theirs for the help they gave in the Revolutionary War?  Fair is fair, right?

Fair? If you think giving one soldier, one medal, 60 years after the fact is fair when so many, not just Americans but the Allies as a whole did so much to help the French and I'm not even counting all the other crap over the past 200 odd years we've, as Allies, from around the world have done to help then I guess you're about as blind as blind can be. Seven Years War, Revolutionary War, Napoleonic War, WW1, WW2, Vietnam, Gulf War 1, we've been through thick and thick. Fair? Hardly!

It's too little, too late. Sorry if you can't see it. I don't have that ability to turn a blind eye to what is obviously a token gesture that should have been rectified many, many years ago to all the brave soldiers of the Allied nations who fought and died to free France from foreign occupation.

Fair? It's an insult.
White 9
JG11 Sonderstaffel

"You can't vote your way out of communism."