Author Topic: for the new players  (Read 11281 times)

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
Re: for the new players
« Reply #210 on: February 04, 2010, 04:01:42 PM »
"IN" - hehehe - haven't seen that with any regularity since my early AW days :)

Most times  it came on the buffer as "in in in!" or often "inininininininin" if you were hammer fisted like me - brings back memories

This happens to me often.  somoene will be PM'ing me and I'll respond only with "inin"  or 'I'm in".  Usually I get a  "huh?"   I'll explain.... "I'm busy"
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline SEraider

• Silver Member
« Reply #211 on: February 04, 2010, 04:21:12 PM »
If killshooter was off and he shot over your shoulder..... it would kill you if it hit you.

Killshooter is on default to combat grievers killing their own.

Let me clarify.  Kill shoot is off with no damage to friendlies.  Just like the TA.
* I am the embodiment of Rule #14
* History is only recent.
* Stick and Stones won't break my bones, but names could "hurt" me.

CO Screaming Eagles

Offline Flipperk

• Silver Member
« Reply #212 on: February 04, 2010, 11:11:08 PM »
Although he's me squaddie, and I like heem ahight!  Agent is spot on here!  

I remember when I first started, and the "rush to get the kill before the other 9 greens get him" mentality was the rule of the day with me....
and then one time I was flying over the water to an enemy base, and there was this green fella fighting this red fella...and I dove in.... in my typhoon... and disintegrated the red guy right in front of the greens face....  out of nowhere I hear the green fella say, "Geesh, I had been fighting that guy for 10 minutes, why did you do that?"  I didn't know why I did it.  He said, "geesh newbs are so annoying" or something close to that.. and I felt genuinely bad about doing that... he made a point, even though I didn't understand why... The green guy was JB42.  Later, after I started learning some acm's and consequently started really enjoying the challenge of testing my skills against a foe, I truly understood just how rude I was.... flying along, just 3 players in sight..... me, JB42, and the red fella, and I got the kill that he worked for...and in such a fashion as to leave me feeling cheap, like a thief, or a liar, in my comp chair, by myself, playing an online game....  it still stands out as a turning point of how I viewed the game.  At any rate, it shows better teamwork to communicate with friendlies, and encourage them to be better(hard to do that when you can't even afford them the courtesy of finishing their own fight).  If one lets themselves get so caught up in the red vs green, us vs them, at all cost.... we forget that not only are we stealing an opportunity from a friendly to have a good fight, we also steal that from the other community member that just so happens to be red... and yes, I have left fights alone and the red guy won, so I swooped down and splashed them...many times the greeny will thank me for letting him finish his fight(even though he lost)... the war will always be there, the scoring system's not going anywhere either, and there will be plenty of time for you to get your name in lights landing kills you did absolutely nothing to deserve, but butt in a fight and pull a trigger!  

<S> Blooz

Mark

I do not if it is just me that feels this way, but you guys are totally blowing this out of porportion...\

Let me bring you back down to reality,...

This is a game, this is NOT LIFE, its a video game! You can tell me all day that its guys like me that ruin this sim, but in fact this is nothing more than a video game. Games are meant to be played in all shapes and forms, there is no wrong way or right way to play this game. If playing with ACM and courtesy is your way of fun then so be it, i dont mind that at all, but you cross the line when you tell other players how they should play the game they pay for.

Why must all of you  tell other players who just want to shoot planes that they are playing the game wrong, to make it more fun for them? What if ACM is not their idea of fun? I sure do not tell you how to play a game, you play it how you want to and I will play it my way.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 11:12:48 PM by Flipperk »
It is 2 Cents or .02 Dollars...NOT .02 Cents!

Offline Bear76

• Platinum Member
« Reply #213 on: February 04, 2010, 11:21:13 PM »
I do not if it is just me that feels this way, but you guys are totally blowing this out of porportion...\

This is a game, this is NOT LIFE, its a video game! You can tell me all day that its guys like me that ruin this sim, but in fact this is nothing more than a video game. Games are meant to be played in all shapes and forms, there is no wrong way or right way to play this game. If playing with ACM and courtesy is your way of fun then so be it, i dont mind that at all, but you cross the line when you tell other players how they should play the game they pay for.

Why must all of you  tell other players who just want to shoot planes that they are playing the game wrong, to make it more fun for them? What if ACM is not their idea of fun? I sure do not tell you how to play a game, you play it how you want to and I will play it my way.

I'll agree to this statement :P

Offline Flipperk

• Silver Member
« Reply #214 on: February 04, 2010, 11:28:36 PM »
I'll agree to this statement :P

Im sure since the obvious message in my post had nothing to do with that, it in fact makes me wonder why  you avoid the message altogether...

Offline Bear76

• Platinum Member
« Reply #215 on: February 04, 2010, 11:35:27 PM »
Im sure since the obvious message in my post had nothing to do with that, it in fact makes me wonder why  you avoid the message altogether...

Your message had nothing to do with SkyRock's post. Did you even read it? The only message I saw was "I'll do what I want". You want a medal?

Offline Flipperk

• Silver Member
« Reply #216 on: February 04, 2010, 11:39:52 PM »
Your message had nothing to do with SkyRock's post. Did you even read it? The only message I saw was "I'll do what I want". You want a medal?

Incorrect, the message you are ignoring is the fact that its ridiculous that players think that their way of playing is the only correct form of playing a video game, and that everyone needs to play it their way in order to have fun.

Offline Bear76

• Platinum Member
« Reply #217 on: February 04, 2010, 11:45:01 PM »
Incorrect, the message you are ignoring is the fact that its ridiculous that players think that their way of playing is the only correct form of playing a video game, and that everyone needs to play it their way in order to have fun.

Show me where SR told anyone how they should play in that post. Come down from that soap box before you fall off. :lol

Offline Agent360

• Nickel Member
      • http://troywardphotography.com
« Reply #218 on: February 04, 2010, 11:46:47 PM »

You are correct. It is only a game.

BUT, the last time I checked ALL games have rules. So if you were playing any sport or even something like chess would you would say to your opponent...there are no rules I can do anything I want...ill just jab you in the eye or move my king across all pieces and capture the queen in one move?

Secondly, no one who posted in this thread said anything about "rules". Only that one should consider things like respect for your fellow friendly and for your adversary. The message is about respecting people.

Speaking of real life. Well, it is REAL PEOPLE behind the cartoon plane. And some of those REAL PEOPLE like to play this game like any other. With certain sportsmanship and respect for your team mates and for your opponent.

These are very simple ideals that are accepted in any sport, contest or game.

Offline thorsim

• Parolee
  • Restricted
      • The Luftwhiner Lounge
« Reply #219 on: February 05, 2010, 12:17:23 AM »

Speaking of real life. Well, it is REAL PEOPLE behind the cartoon plane. And some of those REAL PEOPLE like to play this game like any other. With certain sportsmanship and respect for your team mates and for your opponent.

These are very simple ideals that are accepted in any sport, contest or game.

shouldn't sportsmanship and respect also be extended to venues like the BBs and ch200/all,
and to players who may approach the game differently ...

i mean if you are sincere about the quote above anyway ...

i think they should ...

THOR C.O. II ~JG-27~ Afrika-AH
Axis Co-Op
Quote from: any number of idiots here
blah blah Blah
Quote from: oldman
Good call.  Ignore the people who actually flew the real planes against each other.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #220 on: February 05, 2010, 12:30:02 AM »
I wonder how many new players are actually reading this.  :rofl.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Agent360

• Nickel Member
« Reply #221 on: February 05, 2010, 12:36:21 AM »
shouldn't sportsmanship and respect also be extended to venues like the BBs and ch200/all,
and to players who may approach the game differently ...

i mean if you are sincere about the quote above anyway ...

i think they should ...

Most cetainly we should.

But we are only human (REAL PEOPLE) and we do at times loose our patience and temper. Just like in sports, contests and games.

This is inevitable. We will clash and get called on a foul or have a heated moment.

The message is to at the very least TRY to have some sportsmanship.

Offline Agent360

• Nickel Member
« Reply #222 on: February 05, 2010, 12:42:25 AM »
I wonder how many new players are actually reading this.  :rofl.

semp

It doesn't matter.

Mostly veteran players are posting here.

The message is not only about sportsmanship but also about showing these ideals to new players when a vet has a chance to do so.

The simple "hey u need help...your six is clear...kill em" or mabey "long contact coming in i will try to intercept"...kind of comments to all new players will go a loooonnng way to cluing them in.

How else would they know...most likely not from reading this thread or any other for that matter.

The reality is that the new players only learn from example. Show a bad example and that's what they will do. Show a good example and they will follow that.

Positive reinforcement is WAAAYYYYYYYYYYYY more effective than negative reinforcement.

Offline thorsim

• Parolee
  • Restricted
      • The Luftwhiner Lounge
« Reply #223 on: February 05, 2010, 12:52:06 AM »
with agent on his last couple of posts ...

it is better to be better to each other, everywhere.

THOR C.O. II ~JG-27~ Afrika-AH
Axis Co-Op
Quote from: any number of idiots here
blah blah Blah
Quote from: oldman
Good call.  Ignore the people who actually flew the real planes against each other.

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #224 on: February 05, 2010, 02:53:29 AM »
It doesn't matter.

Mostly veteran players are posting here.

The message is not only about sportsmanship but also about showing these ideals to new players when a vet has a chance to do so.

The simple "hey u need help...your six is clear...kill em" or mabey "long contact coming in i will try to intercept"...kind of comments to all new players will go a loooonnng way to cluing them in.

How else would they know...most likely not from reading this thread or any other for that matter.

The reality is that the new players only learn from example. Show a bad example and that's what they will do. Show a good example and they will follow that.

Positive reinforcement is WAAAYYYYYYYYYYYY more effective than negative reinforcement.

Amen.

A good example tonight.  Came across ace pilot fighting Drex in a Spit IX on the deck.  A couple of us asked if he wanted help.  He said no.  I hung above the fight which turned out to be a knock down drag out turning fight that was fun to watch. I said on 200 that the 38 was out and just watching Finally ace pilot went down.  <S> back and forth between the two pilots.  The Spit driver was out of ammo.  The 38 driver then said have a nice trip back and the Spit rtb'd.

There were numerous other examples of guys asking before they went into a fight as they didn't want to steal a kill from the guy who was doing all the work.  It made for a fun night.  A bit of mutual respect and understanding how we play the game has an impact on more then just ourselves can make a huge impact on the fun for everyone.
How the oldtimers set the tone, and play the game, makes all the difference.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters