Author Topic: What's with the wind gusts?  (Read 519 times)

dosequis

What's with the wind gusts?
« on: June 22, 2000, 12:16:00 PM »
Or is this a P-38 anomoly? It's not my joystick spiking. I fly and all of a sudden I get a mean little jerk in the nose, like somebody kicked my rudder pedal all the way down.

All previous versions of AH the nose was stable, so what gives?

XX

------------------

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2000, 12:51:00 PM »
Did it happen at exactly 12k and 20k altitude?

No idea what that was.  

popeye
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline Udie

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2000, 12:54:00 PM »
 I was told online last night that it's wind causing that.  I don't like it myself, it's stalled me a couple of times and almost spun me.  Even on autoclimb it stalls me.  When I put my rudder full right or left it doens't jerk like that wind does.

I have no idea how realistic it is though.  It seem way to severe to me though.....

udie

Offline fdiron

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2000, 01:23:00 PM »
I had the same thing happen to me, was on auto climb, and somthing jerked my airplane.  Must be wind

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2000, 01:31:00 PM »
 Yes. This is effect felt when going thru a  wind boundary layer.

-Westy

Offline bigred

• Zinc Member
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2000, 01:33:00 PM »
ps...

if your cruising along in smooth air in real life and hit a 20 mph wind gust...

it will surprize you just as much  

-bigred

Offline leonid

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2000, 01:47:00 PM »
There is wind now, and it is layered along altitude levels.  Wind speeds and directions are all different for each layer.  Thus, you could be flying in a 20mph tailwind, then at 12k hit a 50mph headwind, or even from the side somewhere.
ingame: Raz

Offline rosco-

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2000, 01:50:00 PM »
 Dont like it much either but having about an hour in 1.03 so far maby it will grow on me.  
  First impression is I dont like it.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2000, 01:53:00 PM »
Good story: My Step father was a flying game warden for the state of Minnesota.  The Gov'ner and the Ambassador from Germany wanted to go to Northern Minnesota to  meet  with some American Indian Natives, so my Stepdad was elected to fly them in a twin beech.

On the return portion of  the trip, they hit C.A.T. (I'm assuming thats what is modeled in AH, right?)
 The plane immediately flipped over  on its back, and he lost 5 k of alt in about 10 seconds.  As the Gov and  the Ambassador were giving each other hugs, and praying out aloud, Pat simply flipped  her back over upright, pulled the nose out, and continued on with the flight.  They gave him a nice plague and presentation for "Saving the lives" of the Gov'nor and the Ambassador.

Haven't experienced it myself in RL, but by his description of this story, seems modeled  just about right in AH, however, it should be random.

Offline Arrow

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.33rd.org
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2000, 11:40:00 AM »
Ok, why not...  

There I was... True Story

I always loved high performance vehicles of one type or another.  I'll try anything that rolls, flies or floats.  Well of course we working men have limited income so our accessibility to much of the very high performance stuff is limited.  To date, my best experience was last January in Tucson where I finally (after 12 years in the Air Force) got a ride in an F-16D.  

That's really not the point of the story, but it might give you an idea as to the level of my experience.

A great friend of mine and I have always had this friendly rivalry.  We loved to race eachother at Malibu Grand Prix.  The bastage always bested me by a tenth of a second or so.  I mean, no matter what, ol Bake would top my time. Grrrrr!

Well, I finally figured that I'd fly over the damn track in Mt Holly NJ (near Philly) and take photos so I could plan a better line.

Well, I was flying my trusty old "PA28 Arrow" (go figure) and a buddy of mine was going to take the shots.  Now due to the nature of the Class B airspace near Philly, I had to stay within a very strict block of airspace to insure that we wouldn't conflict with app/depp traffic.

The block was from 800ft to 1200ft and all in about 1 square mile of the track.  So, I checked into the airspace and gained my "block".  Now the Arrow moves along pretty good for a standard single so I needed to slow her a bit and drop a notch of flaps to keep from driving out of my block.

The day was scattered at 2k broken 5k and rather blustery.  Needless to say, flying slow and low with turbulence and the potential for wind shear is a BAD IDEA!

So, we kept to the top of the block and stayed on the top of the white arc (max flap ext range) to keep it somewhat sane.  Then it happened!

I was in a shallow right bank so Hector could shoot over the right wing and at the target.  We caught a serious gust from the fwd port quarter which caused me to hold full left aileron/rudder and down stick to keep the bird flying.  After a few seconds, I realized that my airspeed was increasing rapidly and I couldn't hold the nose down, so I retracted the flaps and reduced the throttle to about 1700rpm or so.

It was one of those times when you think to yourself, "HU?"  I had never felt a gust like that before.  Well to make matters worse, the wind changed, and with a serious vengeance.  We then caught the other side of the sheer and took a gust from the tail.  Needless to say, the bottom dropped out of the airplane and we were on our way down.

Best case in an Arrow with a fairly heavily loadout on a hot day is about 1k ROC and we were on our way down at 3k and in about a 70degree left bank and 40degres nose low.  I had NO DEFLECTION control at all for what seemed like eternity.

I was (no toejam) just about to call MayDay when we came out of it.  Just as fast as it began, we had everything back.  So, about two hundred feet above the trees and buildings, I called, RTB! and bingoed to ACY!

Although the gusts in AH don't cause the pucker factor that my little photo mission did, It made me think back on it for just a second.  

-Arrow

P.S. I'd rather be lucky than good anyday!