Author Topic: Lead gunsight offline?  (Read 3713 times)

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
Re: Lead gunsight offline?
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2010, 02:36:18 PM »
"Had an AI con on my 6 and the 2 green crosses were behind me" Emm, Yeah!

They tell you where you have to aim to hit him. So yes if he's behind you, you'd see the green crosses there too.

Next time get on HIS 6 and they'll show you how much to lead.

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2010, 11:40:32 PM »
My previous question in this thread was from the last year of developing gunsights and testing them offline.

What I noticed is firing when the pipper was exactly on the green cross did not give a 100% expected result if I was shooting into the 30deg tail cone after changing convergence. Additionaly if the con has any amount of real track lateral to me I had to lead the green cross. The green cross was in an expected lead and elevation for the guns being fired. Fireing before the cross passes into my pipper probably means the cross is exactly where your rounds need to be x,y,z for the con to fly through them in real time. During all of this I started noticing when I changed my convergence I had to change how I led the green cross.

Is the green cross an approximation of where your bullets need to be after pulling the trigger opposed to where your pipper(reticle) needs to be when you pull the trigger?

You know Bustr I've notice this sort of thing also,I always attriduted it to bullet dispersion.

To me it seems most noticable on wing mounted guns and the Niki comes to mind as 1 of those planes that seemed to require abit more lead than what the crosshairs would suggest.

Other than that I cant answer your question except to say I've noticed it too!

:salute

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2010, 03:09:46 AM »
The best way to see it is to manuver for a 90deg crossing shot or diving down higher from the front. If you pull the trigger when the pipper and cross match you miss. If you lead the cross with your pipper so when you pull the trigger early, the cross passes through your pipper 1-2 sec later, the con flys into a stream of rounds.

So after some amount of time working with the lead comp sight green crosses in offline mode, I think the green cross is an indicator of the point in front of the con a stream of rounds need to pass through so the con will fly into them. Dead 6 shots inside of the rear 30deg cone work with the pipper dead on the green cross for the most part.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.